Help with PlexDelay

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I am a violin player. Love my AxeFx.

I am using a PlexDly block, specifically the Plex Shift version to get a very ethereal string sound.

PROBLEM: While I get the sound I want, it only comes after the delays kick in, as it swells
PICK vs. BOW: Many guitar players use the PlexDly block something like this: they play a single strum, or a slow strum hitting every note slowly/individually -- and as the delays "kick in" the sound swells into this angelic ethereal swooosh, then they go onto the next chord. Some guitar players have the delay times set based on the tempo of the song they're using it in. Guitar players are NOT rapidly strumming up and down with a PlexDly block, because the sound would just grow and swell and swell and grow out of control.

But I am playing a violin with a bow, and what I want to do is not to stop playing.

QUESTION: Are there settings in the PlexDly block that will give you thick, lush sound IMMEDIATELY or almost immediately [no delays needed]; (and most important); the sound doesn't keep swelling or growing as I keep bowing?

Thanks
Alex

I pasted my settings below. My "attempt", as poor as it may be, is to keep the delay time(s) short; but it hasn't worked.
PLEASE; PLEASE; PLEASE - I can not produce this lush, angelic, swoosh sound with the Pitch Shift block; so please don't recommend that.

ImmediaPlex-01.png

ImmediaPlex-02.png

ImmediaPlex-03.png

The lush sound is generated because the delays are coming in “not immediately” one after the other and fading out. The swoosh sound is the time it takes to create the sound. That can’t happen immediately and have the same delayed sound at the same time.

The way to make it faster is to reduce the delay times.

The effect will not kick in for at least 120ms since that's the lowest delay you have set. You can lower one of the delay times

Delay times between 10-30mS are good for initial values. You won't hear those as echoes/repeats.

mix those in with some longer repeats.

Delay times between 10-30mS are good for initial values. You won't hear those as echoes/repeats.

mix those in with some longer repeats.

First - THANK YOU
Second - Considering I want to keep bowing, that is keep feeding the block signal; what might be "longer"? 100ms? 300ms? 500ms?
I can try/play around with it.

First - THANK YOU
Second - Considering I want to keep bowing, that is keep feeding the block signal; what might be "longer"? 100ms? 300ms? 500ms?
I can try/play around with it.
Yeah, you can put in a mix of times. You have up to 8. There is some science to it but, in general, pick semi random numbers that are not direct multiples of each other. So instead of 100,200,300 do 118, 237, 311 or something.

I'd stay in the range of 20-500. You can then adjust feedback to get it to cycle.

Yeah, you can put in a mix of times. You have up to 8. There is some science to it but, in general, pick semi random numbers that are not direct multiples of each other. So instead of 100,200,300 do 118, 237, 311 or something.

I'd stay in the range of 20-500. You can then adjust feedback to get it to cycle.

HHHhhhmmm..............In the Plex Shift - where's the Feedback Knob?

Instinct tells me that your times are too high and your size is too low. After addressing this, however, you may also need to run that plex in parallel, followed by another plex (plex verb?) This way, the immediacy of your pitch effect will also be cushioned by a cushion that's more cushiony.

Back
Top Bottom