Help with Phaser settings

cronerror

Inspired
I am really wrestling with getting some of the classic MXR Phaser sounds in the Axe. Years ago I used a MXR Script Phase 45 (I think) and could get a sound like this in about a second and a half on the actual pedal.

Here is an example:

(see about 1:37 in the video)

Part of the issue seems to be EQ. The pedal was much brighter than the model.

Any thoughts as to settings would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig

PS. - I am using Q3.01 FW

Phaser before Amp block

Type Script 90
Mode Normal
Order 4
Rate 0.268
LFO Type Sine
Tempo 0
Depth 9.03
Feedback 0
Tone 2.50
Freq 120.5
Freq Span 1
LFO Phase 0
LFO Bypass Reset 90
Feedback Tap 0

Always set your phaser to "stun". You can use "disintegrate" only as a last resort.

Also, Yek's settings are ideal for replicating the MXR tone. He's the man. Please don't disintegrate him.

Thanks Yek! Feel comfortable that no one will be disintegrated tonight. Since your posts are always full of good info, I had already tried similar Script 90 settings of yours from another thread... "Mamas Back", maybe?

Tonight I set things up like you suggested above. It sounds great, but there was still something different between the MXR and the Axe. In the time I had, I noticed that the rate, for that video at least, was closer to 0.7. I also tried tweaking the input Z, but "Auto" ended up sounding the best, so no silver bullet there.

Other than getting the rate for that particular tune, the real shiznit seemed to be putting an EQ after the phaser. I ended up putting a PEQ with a high end shelf boost at 3200Hz or so, a peaking mid boost at ~700Hz, and a low end shelf cut at 200Hz. Using all of your other settings other than the Rate, that seemed to make the MXR thang start to happen. I need to spend more time and twiddle the PEQ values to nail that down, but I now have hope. Once I feel I have it down, I will save those blocks and share them to see if they work for you guys as well.

Cheers,

Craig

Using the Phaser there's a short gap in sound when I turn it on, and a loud noise when I turn it off. Any idea how to solve this?

Using the Phaser there's a short gap in sound when I turn it on, and a loud noise when I turn it off. Any idea how to solve this?

That's weird. Did you try resetting the block? Default settings and then bypass/engage to see if it's still happening. Also it is always good to know if you are using Axedit while using your controller, what FW version, etc.

Back
Top Bottom