Help with Modifiers, Control Switches, & FC layouts

Chris B.

Hi all, appreciate any guidance on the below items. I have searched through the manuals, but I am not confident too say that I may have overlooked something. I am looking at doing the following:

1. I would like to have a Control Switch mapped to an FC layout that would switch between an active Wah block and an active Whammy block. My understanding from Control Switches and modifiers is that this would allow me to change which block is active across the whole preset without having to have separate scenes for each block being active. I would also like to note that I am trying to do this, as I have intentions of only having one expression pedal.
2. I would like to do something very similar with the virtual capo and have the control switch on the FC-12 cycle through the 5 tunings that i use. Once again, this would be to minimize separate presets and scenes just for changing tunings. My understanding is this is possible, and I feel like I understand the modifiers ok, but am struggling to understand how to apply the modifier to a control switch. Do I have to use the AX3 GUI or can I use Axe edit?
3. How do I export FC layouts only? Am I only allowed to export the FC layouts with System & Global Blocks? Is there a way to re-import only certain layouts?

I appreciate your comments in advance. Thanks!

Additionally, is there a way to copy a channel of a block from one preset and apply it to another channel in another preset?

1. I don't think that is possible. Maybe with some creative routing and additional blocks it could be
  2. Not possible
  3. There's a button in Axe-Edit to export layouts. I think you have to be in the FC screen to see it.
  4. Yes - with Axe-Edit. Select the source block. In the left pane right click on the channels and select Copy channel to clipboard. Go to the target block, and then Paste clipboard to channel

Note that 1 and 2 would be somewhat trivial if a Control Switch could be used to select channels... But it can't. A Control Switch is essentially a latched 2-state switch, like on and off.

1. I don't think that is possible. Maybe with some creative routing and additional blocks it could be
  2. Not possible
  3. There's a button in Axe-Edit to export layouts. I think you have to be in the FC screen to see it.
  4. Yes - with Axe-Edit. Select the source block. In the left pane right click on the channels and select Copy channel to clipboard. Go to the target block, and then Paste clipboard to channel

Note that 1 and 2 would be somewhat trivial if a Control Switch could be used to select channels... But it can't. A Control Switch is essentially a latched 2-state switch, like on and off.
Thanks @unix-guy. I was thinking that it might be possible to have a control switch cycle through the range of capo settings with each press. If not possible, hopefully their is enough desire for this feature in the community.
For the wah/whammy, wouldn’t that be possible if I assigned the bypass modifier of the wah/whammy blocks to the same control switch?
Additionally, could you give any guidance on assigning modifiers to control switches in general? I’m getting stuck. It sounds like I could at least have a preset that could be used for standard and half step down tuning using the control switch method.

For the wah/whammy, wouldn’t that be possible if I assigned the bypass modifier of the wah/whammy blocks to the same control switch?
Yes, you could assign a CS to the Bypass of both blocks and invert the Min/Max settings of the modifier for one of them. That will turn one on and the other off...

BUT one of them will always be ON. I don't think this is what you want...

It sounds like I could at least have a preset that could be used for standard and half step down tuning using the control switch method.
Yes, I think this would be easy. Assign a CS to Bypass of Virtual Capo. Set VC to -1.

When ON you will be down a half step, when OFF you will be in standard.

#1 can be done if you add a multiplexer or mixer block to select whether the wah or whammy is active.

#3 is also possible. Bring up the desired layout in FC Layouts, then click the Edit dropdown at the lest next to LAYOUTS and export layout....

#1 can be done if you add a multiplexer or mixer block to select whether the wah or whammy is active.
A Multiplexer works by selecting Channels. You can change channels with a Control Switch. Unless I'm not understanding your idea?

Using a Mixer block is a good idea. Use the CS on Level for the respective grid row, with one inverted to level is either 100% or 0%.

A Multiplexer works by selecting Channels. You can change channels with a Control Switch. Unless I'm not understanding your idea?
I am away from the unit at the moment, but i am pretty sure you can directly modify the selected row in the multiplexer.

Using a Mixer block is a good idea. Use the CS on Level for the respective grid row, with one inverted to level is either 100% or 0%.
Yes, this for sure will work.

@Joe Bfstplk great idea with the multiplexer. I’ll try that later today. Instead of a control switch, would there be a way to specify which channel of the pitch block I want active regardless of what scene I was on. E g. Have 4 scenes for clean, edge, crunch, lead and allow the pitch block channel to not change when changing scenes? This could be another option maybe?

@Joe Bfstplk great idea with the multiplexer. I’ll try that later today. Instead of a control switch, would there be a way to specify which channel of the pitch block I want active regardless of what scene I was on. E g. Have 4 scenes for clean, edge, crunch, lead and allow the pitch block channel to not change when changing scenes? This could be another option maybe?
No... Channel selection is per scene.

There have been various wishes for ways to override scenes for certain blocks but nothing implemented.

There are a few long-standing wishes for channel switching or syncing separate from scene changes.

There are a few long-standing wishes for channel switching or syncing separate from scene changes.
Thanks! Sounds like I might be adding a wish soon! I have already mentioned in other threads an interest in a global pitch block, but now I think it would also be a good idea to add the ability for CS parameters to be adjusted via fc switches, not just on/off. Have an increment field for the parameter and the switch cycle between the defined range based on the increment.

Thanks! Sounds like I might be adding a wish soon! I have already mentioned in other threads an interest in a global pitch block, but now I think it would also be a good idea to add the ability for CS parameters to be adjusted via fc switches, not just on/off. Have an increment field for the parameter and the switch cycle between the defined range based on the increment.
You can use a CS to control the pitch on/off state and it can be set to stay the same across scenes and even presets (last)
It gets tricky if you need to have 5 different pitch settings

The below all assumes the channel of the pitch block is consistent, always using virtual capo

I've setup a second control switch that swaps between -1 and -2 which works really well, but up to 5 variations is harder.

If your really want this, you could make an external (physical) 5 way rotary switch, add some resistors and a trs plug, then plug it into either your FC or axefx3 and use this external modifier to control the pitch setting off your pitch block.

Alternatively you could use 3 control switches in total and duplicate what I've mentioned above to give 4 settings, plus the unaffected for 5 total.
Pitch block one would do -1 & -2.
Pitch block two would do -3 & -4.

CS 1 could control pitch one, on/off
CS 2 could control pitch two, on/off
CS 3 could switch both pitch blocks to their alternative pitch.

This takes up 3 buttons on your FC, which might be easier to control if you add to it's on layout.

Finally, you could add the pitch setting to your global performance mode screen and use a single CS to control the state.
When you need to change, you could use the dial in your axefx to edit the pitch.

Last edited:
You can use a CS to control the pitch on/off state and it can be set to stay the same across scenes and even presets (last)
It gets tricky if you need to have 5 different pitch settings

The below all assumes the channel of the pitch block is consistent, always using virtual capo

I've setup a second control switch that swaps between -1 and -2 which works really well, but up to 5 variations is harder.

If your really want this, you could make an external (physical) 5 way rotary switch, add some resistors and a trs plug, then plug it into either your FC or axefx3 and use this external modifier to control the pitch setting off your pitch block.

Alternatively you could use 3 control switches in total and duplicate what I've mentioned above to give 4 settings, plus the unaffected for 5 total.
Pitch block one would do -1 & -2.
Pitch block two would do -3 & -4.

CS 1 could control pitch one, on/off
CS 2 could control pitch two, on/off
CS 3 could switch both pitch blocks to their alternative pitch.

This takes up 3 buttons on your FC, which might be easier to control if you add to it's on layout.
@Callan Thanks! That is a great concept and would cover my range as the 5 increments included no shift. I will have to try it. If only the way you mention using cs3 could be used to change more than 2 pitches in one block it would be even better. Using only two buttons would be way more ideal than 3.

With dual shift pitch type you could have one CS be a voice 1/2 level toggle and another CS toggle voice 1 & 2 shift amounts to cover all 4 values. Pitch bypass could be a third CS (can't use normal bypass toggle as scenes affect it) as the hold function on one of these.

I'm not sure if VC type is any different from dual shift (with one voice muted) but if you needed to use VC for some reason (possibly CPU saving) a stopped LFO could be used to select 4 different pitches:

1. Assign LFO 1B or 2B as VC shift modifier, range -4 to -1

In controllers menu:

2. Set LFO run parameter to off/stop

3. Select triangle LFO type

4. Have one CS toggle B phase 0-180°

5. Have other CS toggle LFO depth 33-100%

With dual shift pitch type you could have one CS be a voice 1/2 level toggle and another CS toggle voice 1 & 2 shift amounts to cover all 4 values. Pitch bypass could be a third CS (can't use normal bypass toggle as scenes affect it) as the hold function on one of these.

I'm not sure if VC type is any different from dual shift (with one voice muted) but if you needed to use VC for some reason (possibly CPU saving) a stopped LFO could be used to select 4 different pitches:

1. Assign LFO 1B or 2B as VC shift modifier, range -4 to -1

In controllers menu:

2. Set LFO run parameter to off/stop

3. Select triangle LFO type

4. Have one CS toggle B phase 0-180°

5. Have other CS toggle LFO depth 33-100%
@Bakerman. Thanks! Sounds interesting. I am not familiar with LFOs so I will need to do some research.

@Bakerman. Thanks! Sounds interesting. I am not familiar with LFOs so I will need to do some research.
@Bakerman is the LFO-as-logic-gate king. He figured out how I could do two switches, one latching and one momentary, that both act on one parameter (in my case, rotary speed) like the pair of 3-way switches controlling a hallway or stairway light from either end....

OP - just a thought: why not create some identical presets using global blocks for everything except the pitch block?

It would probably be a lot simpler to maintain... Unless you're changing tunings mid-song?

OP - just a thought: why not create some identical presets using global blocks for everything except the pitch block?

It would probably be a lot simpler to maintain... Unless you're changing tunings mid-song?
@unix-guy i think you might be correct. I wouldn’t need them all in one song and that would probably be a simpler approach with what is available. I do cover band stuff and we are always changing keys and thought it would be nice to program one main preset to cover our whole set list. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a global parameter for capo. It would prevent having to build each preset out for different tunings.

Back
Top Bottom