Help with Input1 level

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
Dooes it look like I’m clipping Input 1 to much in the video below? I’ve got it set at 12.0% in the I/O menu same as what I have in my AX8 although in the AX8 it only let’s you choose 0, 6, 12, 18. I cant remember what I had it set on in my XL and I’ve sold it. Thanks for your help.

the AX8 sets a gain reduction, so it's a bit different - the values won't match up between Axe-Fx and AX8. the Axe3 input is a bit more sensitive (which means more headroom), so lower values than the Axe2 aren't a bad thing.

your video shows what i think is fine. maybe reduce a bit more if you just don't want to see that red light. but it's been advised not to go 5% or lower as it can affect gain/tone. maybe 9 or 10% and you'll not get the red light?

the AX8 sets a gain reduction, so it's a bit different - the values won't match up between Axe-Fx and AX8. the Axe3 input is a bit more sensitive (which means more headroom), so lower values than the Axe2 aren't a bad thing.

your video shows what i think is fine. maybe reduce a bit more if you just don't want to see that red light. but it's been advised not to go 5% or lower as it can affect gain/tone. maybe 9 or 10% and you'll not get the red light?
The red light isn’t bothering me and it’s only really flashing on deliberately hard downstrokes on the the power chords. It’s more tickling the red which I always thought was ok in the past. But does that still apply to the III?

The red light isn’t bothering me and it’s only really flashing on deliberately hard downstrokes on the the power chords. It’s more tickling the red which I always thought was ok in the past. But does that still apply to the III?
as far as i know, yes. but the manual does say "NOTE: In contrast to our previous products, the red LEDs now all come on at -1 dBFS and are therefore a more immediate indication of clipping."

i feel dumb not knowing exactly what it means, but i think it means that it doesn't come on quite as early as it used to. so if it's red, it's still not necessarily clipping, but pretty close.

i still think what you had set was just fine.

I'm getting the same, just a blip of red when I bang hard on the strings. It's working good on the presets I've played through.

I’m just blown away by this thing. I was sold on using the Legacy EVH cabs 160 and 162 since that’s what I’ve been using for a couple of years now for gigging but I just rebuilt my gigging preset using the stock 5153 100 watt blue preset with Factory 2 cabs 349 and 330. Just wow.

Dooes it look like I’m clipping Input 1 to much in the video below? I’ve got it set at 12.0% in the I/O menu same as what I have in my AX8 although in the AX8 it only let’s you choose 0, 6, 12, 18. I cant remember what I had it set on in my XL and I’ve sold it. Thanks for your help.

I get the same exact behavior.

I've mostly been using my PRS Hollowbody which has their 5708 pickups which are like PAFs and my Input is set at noon.

Is it possible to use drive or boost pedals in front of the Axe-Fx III, or will it clip? I was thinking of buying a couple drives that aren't in the Axe.

There is no single optimum setting. If you have hot pickups with thick strings and a heavy hand you may need to set it at 10% or less. If you have vintage single-coils with thin strings and a light touch, 100%. Adjust it to tickle the red when playing hard.

Yes. The input can handle up to +/- 5V which is greater than any 9V pedal can deliver.
If using a Drive pedal that boosts the level, do we just ignore any clipping on the input meter and just make sure it doesn’t clip with the guitar only? It would be logical that an overdrive pedal would cause clipping right?

Back
Top Bottom