Help with Hetfield live tone

hmm.
I just tried his settings (checked the triaxis manual).
I can't get it to sound good.
Whatever I try there is always some phasey noise going on...

Ok I found this page.
On this page there is a picture of James' triaxis settings!
The Boogie Board • View topic - Hetfield Clean Chorus tone.
I need some help because I don 't have experience with triaxis amps.
I need to know his settings for channel 2 I believe.
Can someone help me? I need to know the settings for as much of the amps as possible in order to create the most accurate live hetfield patch ever! :)

Will this help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 164
Any of those live sounds I don't dig. Why not go for the recorded sounds, especially as there is no crowd noise?

Ok, so here it is. This patch contains the same two amps that James uses for his distorted live tone. He's using the lead 2 yellow setting on the triaxis, and channel 3 on the VH4. The settings come from close-up images of James' rig. The matching of the triaxis settings are easy, since it uses digits to display them. The VH4 is a bit more tricky, but have been matched as close as possible. The preset uses the Petrucci V30 Mix cab, and I just chose this one to get you started. The amps settings are pretty much dead on, so have to experiment with the cab. Any V30, since James uses Mesa cabs mostly. The Ownhammer V30EN might be a good place to start besides the Petrucci, and ThisOne as well, but like I said.. any dark-ish V30 :)

View attachment James Hetfield livetone.syx

EDIT: Don't forget to crank it up a bit, otherwise it might sound too dark. It is pretty loud in that video, and it is most likely a sound tweaked to be played loud ;) I don't think Metallica does anything but loud :)

Last edited:
I tried your patch, it was pretty cool although it needs a bit more gain.
The problem is when I add more gain on the triaxis the phasey/fizzy sound becomes more apparent.
I can never get rid of this and I wonder if this sound 'attribute' is also there with the real amps, I certainly never hear it in any Metallica live recordings.
Anyhow, I tweaked it a little and also used the This One V30 IR and I got a little closer.
I think I read somewhere that James's triaxis were modded to have more gain so I also added some more gain on the triaxis.
I also enabled the bright switch on the diezel like on the pictures of his amps.
It's not there yet, but it's closer....
Dual amp high gain patches have always been tricky for me to get right, and I've heard the Metallica live tone countless times so I think know how it should sound.
We are getting there!

I managed to make a tonematch from James's current live sound....

Download the patch in my Metallica thread!

Last edited:
I know you are super busy, but if you got a min to update the live hetfield tone with the new v15 firmware that would be amazing. thanks so much!!!

This is awesome! I play in a Metallica tribute band, and would love some Kirk Hammet presets for FOH live use. Pretty much looking for something that covers clean, rhythm and all solos, James's included. Is that possible?

I can't see any attachment here Jon....What am I doing wrong?

Ok, I pretty much nailed it right here!
You are going to need the ThisOneV30 IR, I added this one as an attachment.
Listen to it here:

note, this patch was made with and for guitars with EMG pick-ups.
It will probably still sound good with passive pick-ups though.
Feel free to edit and share any changes/tweaks you've made.

Anyone know how to get me this live sound
the very beginning of this video Thanks

James Hetfield Metallica Gear run - YouTube

Use mine. It will get you close.....this is for an XL+ and FW19. If you don't have this set up, let me know and I will help you with settings. I am also using Cab Pack 7 MB Traditional mixes (which are awesome). You will have to substitute cabs depending on what you have. Set them to NULL and open the room up a bit.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - TA-L2Y/VH4 - by stevekHQ

Back
Top Bottom