Help with Hetfield live tone

It's a hard tone to nail although I've tried and I have come up with some cool results.
The thing is, he uses 2 amps, a Mesa Triaxis combined with a Diezel VH4.
Now no-one (except for the Metallica tech's and probably James himself) knows the settings for the amps.
I've tried dual high gain amps but I always come up with a weird phasy/fizzy kind of sound wich isn't present on his sound.
There are probably some extreme settings going on with those amps, maybe one set to 'ultra scoop' eq-wise and the other filling in more of the mid frequencies.....
It is posssible with the Axe FX because Metallica use AXE FX's on stage now, but yeah, they have custom tonematches/impulses and the settings made by their techs and M@ I presume.
If you can find a clip with better quality sound (more of a live direct recording) I could try make a patch for you!
Most of the live material has crowd noise going on when James plays a riff on his own.
We need a signal of his live guitar sound without any other noises coming through in order to make a good tonematch...

Ok, I pretty much nailed it right here!
You are going to need the ThisOneV30 IR, I added this one as an attachment.
Listen to it here:

note, this patch was made with and for guitars with EMG pick-ups.
It will probably still sound good with passive pick-ups though.
Feel free to edit and share any changes/tweaks you've made.

Awesome job as usual Jon! Now get back to work on the black album patches!!!

I kid i kid. Well I dont kid. Please sir get back to work sound better?

You rule!

Hey

Nice that sounds like Hetfield tone ,in these days. Im not big fan for that Hetfield modern diezel and triaxis tone ,what he have these days. I have always like that ,Mark series tones 1986-1993. But nice to hear that you nail that ,new modern Hetfield live tone nice work.

Ok, I pretty much nailed it right here!
You are going to need the ThisOneV30 IR, I added this one as an attachment.
Listen to it here:

note, this patch was made with and for guitars with EMG pick-ups.
It will probably still sound good with passive pick-ups though.
Feel free to edit and share any changes/tweaks you've made.

Last edited:
Hey

Hey Guitarjon that preset sounds amazing ,thanks for share that for us. If you have some time would be nice ,if you could do same results and nail this hetfield live tone. Link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByMKUWFxO3o

Can you find songs in the show where you can hear more isolated guitar like in the very beginning of this song?
The soundboard of this show would be suitable because of the lack of crowd noise!
Preferably with palm muted notes.... I could try with this one but I don't think the tonematch will pick up all the frequencies needed for a proper tonematch...

Hey

Sure here is two songs ,and times where hetfiled is alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOHe1BMAJ4 Time 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553fKXQorR8 Time 1:53

Can you find songs in the show where you can hear more isolated guitar like in the very beginning of this song?
The soundboard of this show would be suitable because of the lack of crowd noise!
Preferably with palm muted notes.... I could try with this one but I don't think the tonematch will pick up all the frequencies needed for a proper tonematch...

Hey

And this is amazing old metallica hetfield tone too ,but very sad that crowd is so high volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAxhQXdYMFY

I don't know if you're still interested, but I made a James Hetfield preset a while ago, with the exact settings from his modded triaxis and herbert vh4. The magic is how the two amps are set eq-wise. It just sounds weird with just one of them. Like the tech mentions in that first video.. when you hear the two amps separately you wonder: "Is THAT the sound?" Together it sounds huge. Let me see if I can dig out the preset from my harddrive :)

I don't know if you're still interested, but I made a James Hetfield preset a while ago, with the exact settings from his modded triaxis and herbert vh4. The magic is how the two amps are set eq-wise. It just sounds weird with just one of them. Like the tech mentions in that first video.. when you hear the two amps separately you wonder: "Is THAT the sound?" Together it sounds huge. Let me see if I can dig out the preset from my harddrive :)

would love to hear it

Back
Top Bottom