Help with getting Jeff Golub basic sound

Lkdog

Power User
Have been a fan of the late great urban jazz/blues guitarist (former rock icon also) Jeff Golub for years.

I am struggling to get his basic studio tone in which he generally uses a Vibrolux and various guitars- mostly semi hollows and some hollow and solid bodies.
It always sounds clean, warm, and has some sweet mild sustain.
I think I read somewhere where he used a tube pedal of some sort to warm things up, but his tone was always great.

Any help is appreciated on settings or pedals, etc.

Here is example of a typical Golub song.

On his webpage it states that he used a Vibrolux and Es 175 for that cut- but there has to be more going on there.

http://www.jeffgolub.com/equipment.html

On tour I quite often have to rent amps so I request in order of preference a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier "Tremoverb" or a Fender "Hot Rod Deville" then use whatever is available.

For effects I use a pro-co rat pedal, a boss tuner pedal, an "Echodrive" (which is an analog delay built with tube circuitry) a boss digital delay pedal, and a Shure wireless unit . In the studio I use an older model (script logo)MXR dynocomp compressor pedal most of the time (not on the fat hollow body guitars)and occasionally a rat pedal but rarely record with effects other than that.

I usually use a fender vibroking amp through a boogie 1-12 cabinet with an eminence 70 watt speaker but I have also used a boogie studio 22 and a peavey classic 50. Occasionally I've gone direct into the board with a sans-amp classic pedal.

For guitars I record with the 65' strat, sometimes the Hamer Daytona, a 1959 Gibson ES 345 with a stop tailpiece wired mono with the varitone disconnected, a 1959 Gibson ES 175 with just1 pickup (humbucking, neck position), a 1964 Gibson L-5, a 1964 Martin O-18, a Rimerez nylon string and a Takamine nylon string.

What a great player and sound-I have been following him since the first avenue Blue album. I have all 13 or whatever cds. He didn't use a tube pedal-from everything I ever read-

I'll go thru the other cds later on and check the insert info and see if I can spot anything else. And lots of twin reverbs - he once said many places he went to play (live) they always had a twin there..

All the CDs have dialog and that's where I got a bunch of info. The pict on the Cd is is Jeff sitting with the 64 L-5 . So I would guess that's what he used. I know you don't want to hear the same old thing, but "his playing is so "his fingers, touch, heart, etc" I know, I know- He is my all time favorite. That is strange in itself probably-considering I don't play any jazz. Although he plays everything.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I just had to comment on this guy. I posted in a thread on here when he passed - so sad. Just a great guitar player and human being. The human being comment is my impression from the zillion articles I have read about him.

Curious, have you ever heard his other stuff? He has many sounds. I like the early sounds a lot-with avenue Blue. Love this one too of course.

Update-Hey LK-just saw the "In searh of a Jazz Tone" thread whee you commented about Jeff and his great jazzy Strat tones-so of course you know---Cool.....

What a great player and sound-I have been following him since the first avenue Blue album. I have all 13 or whatever cds. He didn't use a tube pedal-from everything I ever read-

I'll go thru the other cds later on and check the insert info and see if I can spot anything else. And lots of twin reverbs - he once said many places he went to play (live) they always had a twin there..

All the CDs have dialog and that's where I got a bunch of info. The pict on the Cd is is Jeff sitting with the 64 L-5 . So I would guess that's what he used. I know you don't want to hear the same old thing, but "his playing is so "his fingers, touch, heart, etc" I know, I know- He is my all time favorite. That is strange in itself probably-considering I don't play any jazz. Although he plays everything.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I just had to comment on this guy. I posted in a thread on here when he passed - so sad. Just a great guitar player and human being. The human being comment is my impression from the zillion articles I have read about him.

Curious, have you ever heard his other stuff? He has many sounds. I like the early sounds a lot-with avenue Blue. Love this one too of course.

Yeah- have all of his post rock star work (and had all the Billy Squier stuff back in the day).

Such a tragedy and an absolutely amazing talent. And yeah- seemed like a great guy by all accounts.
I was going to book his band here for a concert when his health took a real downturn.

Yes- he used Strats on a lot of records too. Always a great tone.

I just can't seem to figure out how he gets that clarity yet smooth tone with sweet sustain.

Truth be told- I am kind of clueless about how to use a compressor.

I am pretty much the same with compressors- I played for decades out and about but never really used a bunch of FX-except for reverb and delay. The factory defaults on the studio comp are OK-well for me anyhow.

Guess if you don't get into some pop band or gimmick, doesn't matter how good you are - folks just never will really hear of you.
The last 2 blues cd's were nice I thought also.

So far all I see mentioned are his Strat, a 335/339? and the L-5. In the studios I would think he had a choice so maybe it seems like it must be mostly fender\boogie.

Attached is a preset that will get you close (scene 3 - use with strat - mine is a Tyler BW SSH with Kinman N/M pickups)-- I cover his version of "Pick Up the Pieces" with my Band. Vibrolux was his go to amp in the studio -- he also used a Fuchs ODS amp in the Studio as well.

Attachments

• Vibro CA SC.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
Attached is a preset that will get you close (scene 3 - use with strat - mine is a Tyler BW SSH with Kinman N/M pickups)-- I cover his version of "Pick Up the Pieces" with my Band. Vibrolux was his go to amp in the studio -- he also used a Fuchs ODS amp in the Studio as well.

Thank you very much!
I like it. I will look at your compression settings as this is where I am a real newbie as well as your amp settings.

I have been using the Vibro models as my base and trying different settings and also figuring out how to use the Studio Comp.

Back
Top Bottom