help with FM3 config..trying to make it super simple

Coming from an AX8, i thought the FM3 would be similar in terms of setting up the switches and programming but man maybe I just don't have the smarts.

I can't seem to make this work the way I had with an AX8. Here's how I'd like to do it, if it's possible...

With the ax8, each preset was a 'song'. Within those songs were a set scenes for each part of said song (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, solo etc).
Each preset had their own set amounts of scenes, none of them were global.

The F switches were used to access the preset list, of which then i can bank up/down until I saw the 'song' i wanted to get into, tap it, and that preset would open up it's set of scenes. F1 was to used to access the preset list, f2 and f3 up/down.

I thought I could somehow achieve this same configuration with the FM3 but have not been able to find out how. I understand the gist of the layouts and the views, and I know I can switch layouts and views, but the SCREEN doesn't change, it stays on the preset aka home page, listing the scenes under it. I want it like this:

1. the first 2 switches to toggle between scenes within a preset (this i know how to do)

2. the 3rd switch, if i hold, to access the preset list (the page right after the home screen without needing to bend down and press the physical page over button) and have the screen change to that page, and when that's open, have one or both of the first 2 switches be able to bank up or down that list, and another switch that allows me to hit 'ok' on whatever preset i choose that's highlighted and then

3. open up that preset, that goes to the 'home page' (meaning that the screen also changes with me) that shows the preset number/name and the list of scenes within that preset

4. I want this whole function of the 3rd switch changing the screen/accessing the preset list page etc to be global and be able to do this any time.
Is this type of configuration possible? Has anyone done something similar? If it can't be done, can anybody suggest some similar setup alternatives? Thanks for the help in advance! I've been through a boat load of youtube videos but have yet to find any that have shown how to do this configuration..

Last edited:
Think you can make that third switch MLM to access the main page which would get.you pretty far , and use it as.hold.for.a bank up , or vice versa , probably best you can do without an external mosky dual

2. the 3rd switch, if i hold, to access the preset list (the page right after the home screen without needing to bend down and press the physical page over button) and have the screen change to that page, and when that's open, have one or both of the first 2 switches be able to bank up or down that list, and another switch that allows me to hit 'ok' on whatever preset i choose that's highlighted and then
this is not an option on the FM3. the preset list is not the same as the Footswitch Preset list on the AX8. there is no "preset list with footswitch" function on the Axe3 or FM3.

i'd suggest moving the presets you use close together (i suggest that on any gear really). then you can use Preset Up/Down to change, or change Layouts to the Preset In Bank style selection like Default Layout 1 has.

you can also use a simple switch as a Stand-In Switch to do any function that a built-in switch can do. set it to change between 2 Layouts back and forth, maybe Presets and Scenes.

with only 3 switches compared to 11 on the AX8, something has to give. you can add up to 4 simple external switches for more functions, or 2 if you also use an expression pedal.

I have my FM3 configured so that the main layout is "Presets", "Per-Preset", and "Tuner". The middle button hold takes you to that screen from anywhere. Selecting a preset takes you to the "Per-Preset" layout. Within that, I configure whatever I need for the song. Usually that means a bunch of scene toggles or a combination of that and a selected one or two effects. It works really well, to the point that I don't even use the FC6 with it.

Thanks for the quick responses!

i think for now what I will do is make my own custom layout

first button is toggle S1/S2, hold for preset inc +1
second button is toggle S3/S4, hold is for tuner
third button is toggle S5/6, hold for preset dec -1

This way I don't have to change any views or layouts.

and as chris says, move all my presets lined up together on the list, most likely alphabetical so I can go through them as quickly as possible for now, and re-arrange them into the setlist order for each gig.

This should work... unless I'm missing something?

and as chris says, move all my presets lined up together on the list, most likely alphabetical so I can go through them as quickly as possible for now, and re-arrange them into the setlist order for each gig.

I will definatly try that. This might work with my main settings and I would not need any extra footswitch for now.

Preset:

Sc1 (switch 1): Clean
Sc2: (switch 1 tap): Clean with mod
Bank + (switch 1 hold)

Sc3 (switch 2) : Rythm Heavy
Sc4 (switch 2 tap): Rythm with mod
Bank - (switch 2 hold)

Sc5 (switch 3) : Lead
Sc6 (switch 3 tap) : Lead with mod
Tuner (switch 3 hold)

I will have a Mission ep1 spring loaded for wah and whammy and maybe another expression later for volume.

How do you do the toggle , I can get preset 1 and hold working , but can't seem to figure how to put 2 scenes on one switch

How do you do the toggle , I can get preset 1 and hold working , but can't seem to figure how to put 2 scenes on one switch
use the Toggle option instead of the Select option. in the switch setup, after you choose Scenes Category, change the Function to Toggle, then choose the 2 scenes to toggle between.

i show how in this video around 16:21

Back
Top Bottom