Help With DIscouragement

Couple of EVM-12ls ...... costly, seemingly overpowered, and heavy .... but they are really friendly to listen to.

I switched from my 90's 200w EVM 12Ls to Eminence Delta Pro 12As. They are flatter, tighter, much higher RMS and reasonably priced.

I use a high gain and a very clean sound, both sound great through the Delta Pro 12A...

You don't have to turn off cab blocks or CAB sims globally. Just put the FX LOOP block in parallell with a signal straight from the AMP, or you can put the FX LOOP Block in Series just make sure its BEFORE the CAB Block in the chain. Keep everything Simple with the Axe-fx, its easy to get lost in it very quickly.

Hey homie. I was in the same rut as you for a while. Like others said, monitors, ever budget monitors, will make a WORLD of difference.

I bought a pair of Sterling MX-5s for like $200, and they are great for the price.

And when you start recording, it is important to keep in mind that your tone shouldn't sound 'complete' on it's own. It is just an ingredient in a full song mix. If you took, say, a Periphery song and isolated a single guitar track, it would sound comparatively thin and pretty bad. But when you double/triple track it, and add a bit of EQ, THAT is where you get the tone you are chasing. Think of it like cooking. You couldn't realistically make a hamburger patty taste like a bun, cheese and bacon. But when you combine them and season everything, you get that bacon cheeseburger flavor that you imagine.

I switched from my 90's 200w EVM 12Ls to Eminence Delta Pro 12As. They are flatter, tighter, much higher RMS and reasonably priced.

I use a high gain and a very clean sound, both sound great through the Delta Pro 12A...
Interesting ..... I take it they are lighter too?

I've got my EVMs in a couple of Marshall 1x12 cabs and they are great sounding, but I also have a 2x12 H&K cab that came with a Grandmeister 36 rig I got used a couple of years ago. I have no love for V30s so I ripped them out and stuck in a couple of Celestion Redbacks (150W) to see what would happen. Turns out I've not much love for Celestion Redbacks either.

Perhaps those Eminences are worth a try.

Apologies for maybe going a bit off topic .... but changing speakers in his current cab is still an option for the OP so it's sorta relevanr

Interesting ..... I take it they are lighter too?

I've got my EVMs in a couple of Marshall 1x12 cabs and they are great sounding, but I also have a 2x12 H&K cab that came with a Grandmeister 36 rig I got used a couple of years ago. I have no love for V30s so I ripped them out and stuck in a couple of Celestion Redbacks (150W) to see what would happen. Turns out I've not much love for Celestion Redbacks either.

Perhaps those Eminences are worth a try.

Apologies for maybe going a bit off topic .... but changing speakers in his current cab is still an option for the OP so it's sorta relevanr

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The Eminence Delta Pros are slightly lighter than the EV's, forgot about that.

I find the EV 12Ls to be a bit woofy and peaky in the upper mids. This bias is good for some particular applications, but I'd rather dial in whatever peaks and resonance I need. And for the first time in gitfiddle history we can dial in anything we can think of with the Axe!

I've always been frustrated by Celestions, they seem to be a very confused company. Their speakers always seem to be colored by design, each new speaker is another color, there appears to be no attempt to make speakers that reproduce what's put into them. It's like Celestion are against the idea of fidelity. And again, for particular applications like 80's metal, they might be great. But they never seem accurate or versatile. Lucky for us, the Axe can change speakers faster than most of us can change our thoughts..:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom