Help with delay

wembley

Inspired
Fellow forumites. I'm using my delays as outlined in the attached image, where I route the signal via fx-loop blocks into a chorus block, then into a delay block, before the signal is routed back to the main signal chain. This way, I'm able to add chorus to the delay repeats only, not the main guitar tone.

However, this use of fx-loop blocks causes problems for my stage set up. I run my Axe directly to the board using output 1 in stereo. I then wish to run output 2 to my Atomic powered cabinet in order to be able to control stage volume from a separat volume knob, but output 2 won't let me do this for the patches that use the fx-loop block.

My question is: Are there other ways of setting up a delay with the option of adding chorus (or any other effects) to the repeats only, that doesn't use the fx-loop?

Attachments

• axedelay.jpg
    axedelay.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 29
If you need the chorus only on the delay repeats you are doing it too complicated. You can use this routing with delay mix=100% and bypass mode=mute fx in. Then you have to adjust the delay level.
Another way is to use the modulation parameters included in the delay block.

Attachments

• delaymod.jpg
    delaymod.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 27
That's a, uh, very strange routing. Feedback Send has no use if you don't use Feedback Return as well. And using FX Loop this way gets a signal from Input2 into the routing...

Two simple solutions that get you chorused delay trails:

1) Remove the Send and FX loop blocks. In the parallel row switch Chorus and Delay (Delay > Chorus).
2) Don't use a Chorus block at all. The Delay block already has a Mod page which lets you modulate the trails. So delete the parallel row, keep delay inline and apply modulation to the trails.

Thanks!

killo: this setup will allow for not only chorused but also distorted repeats, if I so wish?
yek: haha, thanks. Sonically it works, but I'm sure my routing is awkward. I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks!

killo: this setup will allow for not only chorused but also distorted repeats, if I so wish?
yek: haha, thanks. Sonically it works, but I'm sure my routing is awkward. I'll try your suggestions.

With this setup you get the delay on the amp+cab signal. Yek suggested you the same routing

Thanks!

What yek is saying is that your send isn't doing anything. It doesn't work sonically as it is intended. You are sending the signal but never returning it. You need to replace the fxloop with a feedback return if you are going to that.
While what yek and killo said are very true; you can get a much more pronounced effect using the feedback send and return especially for distorted repeats (you add drive in delay and each successive delay will git more distorted - more so the just using the delay block alone). The delay has its own modulation so you can use that or the chorus like you have if you want more control or a dedicated effect (I believe the chorus quality of the block is better than the one in the delay but it may not matter - I tend to use the one in the delay block). If you use the send and return you want to have the delay feedback all the way down and the mix all the way up. Bypass mode just like killo said. Feedback Return mix should be at 100% and you control the amount of repeats with the Feedback Return level. Be careful, it is very easy to get runway feedback with this.

Here is some more info on this:
Delay - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Note:
Yeks and Killo's suggestions are much more simple and may yield you the results you want.

Back
Top Bottom