Help with deciding between an amp or AX8

geoangus

Inspired
First off, let me say that I gigged an Axe XL with an Atomic CLR for a couple of years but chose to go back to an amp last summer. A year later I’m debating an amp change or returning to modeling with an AX8. On the XL, I favored the Friedman models, and that’s the amp I’m considering buying. Moke’s fantastic JCM800 preset really makes consider the return back to Fractal.

Weighing the pros and cons, there are so many pros, but the nagging con isn’t really Fractal’s fault - the amp in the room feeling. So my question- while I’d be sending a signal direct to the board: what was your amp/speaker solution to give that on stage interaction that a traditional amp gives. The CLR may have been accurate, but it just doesn’t feel the same as the amp I play now. I’m very curious how the Matrix power amp into a cab play.

If you really want the traditional backline, but want to use a modeller, just get a good power amp (doesn't need to be Matrix, lots of options in the market - they're all solid state and don't colour the sounds in any way).

Plug it into your favourite guitar cab and run the amp into the AX8 with an XLR out of output 2 with the cab block bypassed and run the main output 1 into the FOH (with the cab block included in the preset)

Back
Top Bottom