Help with cabs

clean sounds are generally OK it’s the overdrive sounds that mainly tend to suffer for me... With too much bottom and top... I don’t think there’s anything wrong.
What I've found is that clean sounds work better with a much wider variety of IRs than distorted sounds.

I play a lot with clean-ish sounds and whenever I audition IRs I now make sure to play overdriven sounds as well because of this.

Also, don't overlook the High and Low cuts in the Cab block.

Try starting with 80Hz and 8000Hz.

It seems to me that pretty much everything in Factory Bank 1 and 2 is meant to be used in pairs. Almost none of them sound good to me by themselves. If you want to use just one already mixed cabinet it seems like those are in the Legacy Bank.

I tend to like using just one cab that sounds great by itself to save CPU so I bought some Ownhammer Cab packs that sound good to me. They have individual mics and pairs of mics also, but they have a whole lot of cab mixes that sound great by themselves.

It seems to me that pretty much everything in Factory Bank 1 and 2 is meant to be used in pairs. Almost none of them sound good to me by themselves. If you want to use just one already mixed cabinet it seems like those are in the Legacy Bank.

I tend to like using just one cab that sounds great by itself to save CPU so I bought some Ownhammer Cab packs that sound good to me. They have individual mics and pairs of mics also, but they have a whole lot of cab mixes that sound great by themselves.
I kinda get what you're saying. I'm only interested in 4x12s with V30s, and I can't find a single one (or blend I've managed to create) in the factory banks, that sounds as good as third party stuff. For my tastes and what I'm looking for, that is.

That's the reason my Lukather X88R preset for the III is taking so long. I really want to use factory cabs so I can share it more easily.

Why do you really want to experiment, if you like the Basket weave?

Some people spend way too much time sifting through IRs. The trick is to spend some time finding one you like and sticking with it. You can even fine tune the sound with the EQ in the cab block.

Changing to a different IR is a long process where you have to switch back and forth several times, try different amp settings. If you just browse through IRs listening to each one five seconds at a time, every one will sound weird because your ears are still adjusting to the new one.

Very few IRs sounds really bad, but they do sound different. A few are really lacking lows or highs, but if they are reasonably balanced they can more or less be used for anyhing.

Even though this may seem off base (and may be for your issue), make certain you don’t have an engaged Wah block (or autoengage turned on) in your problematic preset(s) that is cocked, as this can also cause an overall nasally sound. I pulled lots of hair out trying to remove a nasally tone a while back, and killing the wah (or repositioning my controlling pedal) resolved it for me. Best of luck.

Even though this may seem off base (and may be for your issue), make certain you don’t have an engaged Wah block (or autoengage turned on) in your problematic preset(s) that is cocked, as this can also cause an overall nasally sound. I pulled lots of hair out trying to remove a nasally tone a while back, and killing the wah (or repositioning my controlling pedal) resolved it for me. Best of luck.
I don’t have a Wah block in this particular preset...👍

Never ignore that part of the problem can be the room you are listening in. My music room has an annoying resonance around 137 Hz, so I tend to pull that frequency down (a lot...) in global eq when auditioning cabs, rather than shelve off everything below 140 Hz in the cab block. Anything to preserve trouser flapping goodness when I get to.play out in a big room (which feels like a distant memory).

Pretty much all other responses are right on the money. @2112 it could have seemed crass to promote your own video, except for the fact that it is, as ever, an absolutely excellent one.

Liam

I’m still using the V30 with dyn112 mic 95% of the time. I get it that there a million other choices, but it just works for me.

Hate to say this again, as I mentioned a few times, auditioning IR randomly is neither productive nor fun... Despite Axe Edit facilitates this process as much as it could, there needs to be a better UX, in order to tap into the vast possibilities of different cab/speakers, mics, distances and off axis angles combinations.

Perhaps model the cab and speaker, model the mic, model the different eq of mic distance and off axis positions. And provide them all with a new interface. Then we’d have Fractal stock cabs, instead of random IRs collected from various venders. (Make those downloadable for folks who miss them)

Any plan along this direction with the extra storage in AxeIII MKII @FractalAudio ?;)

I kinda get what you're saying. I'm only interested in 4x12s with V30s, and I can't find a single one (or blend I've managed to create) in the factory banks, that sounds as good as third party stuff. For my tastes and what I'm looking for, that is.

That's the reason my Lukather X88R preset for the III is taking so long. I really want to use factory cabs so I can share it more easily.

I was initially also only interested in 4x12’s, but after getting frustrated for the same reasons as you, I started trying everything and anything. The last couple of presets I made have 2x12’s in them. I have a love/hate thing going on with V30’s. Sometimes I luck out and find one that sounds great, other times I’m in disbelief that they’re as popular as they are. It’s not of any fault to the speaker, it’s my fault for collecting some 10,000-12,000 IR’s.

My studio regularly sounds like someone moving a microphone through a fishbowl, but it’s just me auditioning IR’s. It’s tedious, for sure, but not too different from being in a studio and going through every mic/position to get a killer guitar tone, just less physical movement.

I was initially also only interested in 4x12’s, but after getting frustrated for the same reasons as you, I started trying everything and anything. The last couple of presets I made have 2x12’s in them. I have a love/hate thing going on with V30’s. Sometimes I luck out and find one that sounds great, other times I’m in disbelief that they’re as popular as they are. It’s not of any fault to the speaker, it’s my fault for collecting some 10,000-12,000 IR’s.

My studio regularly sounds like someone moving a microphone through a fishbowl, but it’s just me auditioning IR’s. It’s tedious, for sure, but not too different from being in a studio and going through every mic/position to get a killer guitar tone, just less physical movement.
Your post made my curious about how many individual IRs I have. It's hard to tell exactly, but apparently it's in excess of 100 000...

Hi, my name is Nick and I'm addicted to tone chasing. It's been been 3 days since I last purchased IRs.

Since the difference the speaker and mic combination can make tonally can be drastic, I try to stick with the same mic of the IR that I'm most familiar with. This eliminates one part of the equation and gives me a better feel for what the different speaker 'should' sound like. Then I'll quickly go through the selected IRs and look for ones that have the overall feel I prefer; good balance, not harsh or overly bright, and tight bottom end.

After I select a few to try, I'll spend some time with each IR, getting acquainted with the new tone. I used to compare the tone to the IR I know but that was counter-productive - the differences were glaring. It takes some for my ears get accustomed to the new speaker. When I started using this approach, I discovered a lot of great new tones and started using amps that I couldn't 'get along with' before.
This is a great idea. The cabs have definitely been the rabbit hole for me. So many choices, I have perpetual FOMO if I don't scrutinize every possibility.

To the OP, I've had luck tweaking the High and Low cut for the cab model. Bringing them somewhere in the 80Hz and 10kHz ranges; soften them with small Room adjustments. Mixing mics on the same cab type and blending them. It's been decent going so far. Being able to pin the IRs in the menu, and audition them on-the-fly is a great feature.

Nothing wrong with getting attached to one cab type either. Whatever works for ya.

Back
Top Bottom