Help with Bass Tone through FRFR

Gilly

Being my first post, I d just first like to say that I've been really blown away by the Axe guitar tones right out of the box.
:encouragement: I cheekily actually gigged with it on guitar 3 days after getting it and even though I didn't have
the knowledge to get it sounding the way I really wanted I was still happy with the live tone FOH. I've been spending a lot time reading through the forums and love all the tips and tricks I have found to get the most out of this thing. Hat tip to FAS.

I ran into a challenge last night with using the Axe for Bass tone and need some input, no pun intended.

I ran my Fender Jazz Deluxe into the Axe using XLR from output 2 (left) output into 1 PA speaker (RCF hd-12). I unfortunately only discovered at the end of the night that I needed to change the I/O setting from stereo to sum LR. (question 1) But from what I read that would only make a difference in this setup certain blocks? So shouldn't have an affect on Amp Cab compressor GEQ (what I was mainly using) in terms of tone output, is that right??

The challenge I actually had was that I was A/Bing it with my friends Pod XT live (yes that old thing) through the same speaker with no other settings changed. There was a bass tone on the XT that that someone had spent a bit of time building that sounded pretty good to my ears. I define 'good' by that by it sounded punchy and closer a traditional bass cab/rig, or at least like a bass rig miced. I spent the best part of the night changing Amps and Cabs GEQ ccompressor changing all the parameters within each of these blocks on the Axe. And didn't get close to the sound I was getting on the Pod preset.
Now I dont want this to sound like comparing the two units here, I don't own the pod xt and I've had the Axe fx for exactly one week so its way too early to be saying anything.

I just want to know if there is something that I m doing majorly wrong with the settings, because honestly the best tone I got I would describe as an EQ improved DI sound.

Early this morning I spent some time re-reading through the manual to see if there is anything that could help.
A few things I found;

Page 15 of the Owners Manual.

'To operate with unity gain, set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in..'

(Question 2) Does this mean I need to set the Output 1 knob (front panel) to 100%? Does this affect the overall tone?

(Question 3) I ve read in the Global settings that there is options for changing phase. Would that have affected tone with my setup?

(Question 4) I didn't change anything in the Global EQ at all is this something that makes a huge difference to the sound outside of the EQ's in the blocks?

Any input at this point would be greatly appreciated.

G'day Gilly,

I don't have an answer for you but will be watching this thread closely - I bought the axe fx purely for bass. I love it for guitar however I still cannot get a bass sound that says wow to me. Hope you find an answer cause then I will too!

One thing, try some different cabs - I did some jbl 15 and 10 inch cabs which make quite a difference. They are available somewhere here so if you do a search you should be able to dig them up.

Keep us posted.

Pauly

Being my first post, I d just first like to say that I've been really blown away by the Axe guitar tones right out of the box.
:encouragement: I cheekily actually gigged with it on guitar 3 days after getting it and even though I didn't have
the knowledge to get it sounding the way I really wanted I was still happy with the live tone FOH. I've been spending a lot time reading through the forums and love all the tips and tricks I have found to get the most out of this thing. Hat tip to FAS.

I ran into a challenge last night with using the Axe for Bass tone and need some input, no pun intended.

I ran my Fender Jazz Deluxe into the Axe using XLR from output 2 (left) output into 1 PA speaker (RCF hd-12). I unfortunately only discovered at the end of the night that I needed to change the I/O setting from stereo to sum LR. (question 1) But from what I read that would only make a difference in this setup certain blocks? So shouldn't have an affect on Amp Cab compressor GEQ (what I was mainly using) in terms of tone output, is that right??

The challenge I actually had was that I was A/Bing it with my friends Pod XT live (yes that old thing) through the same speaker with no other settings changed. There was a bass tone on the XT that that someone had spent a bit of time building that sounded pretty good to my ears. I define 'good' by that by it sounded punchy and closer a traditional bass cab/rig, or at least like a bass rig miced. I spent the best part of the night changing Amps and Cabs GEQ ccompressor changing all the parameters within each of these blocks on the Axe. And didn't get close to the sound I was getting on the Pod preset.
Now I dont want this to sound like comparing the two units here, I don't own the pod xt and I've had the Axe fx for exactly one week so its way too early to be saying anything.

I just want to know if there is something that I m doing majorly wrong with the settings, because honestly the best tone I got I would describe as an EQ improved DI sound.

Early this morning I spent some time re-reading through the manual to see if there is anything that could help.
A few things I found;

Page 15 of the Owners Manual.

'To operate with unity gain, set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in..'

(Question 2) Does this mean I need to set the Output 1 knob (front panel) to 100%? Does this affect the overall tone?

(Question 3) I ve read in the Global settings that there is options for changing phase. Would that have affected tone with my setup?

(Question 4) I didn't change anything in the Global EQ at all is this something that makes a huge difference to the sound outside of the EQ's in the blocks?

Any input at this point would be greatly appreciated.

1: SUM vs. left only vs. stereo affects the volume you get, not tone directly. Left only is the default, and loudest. This is the correct setting to use if you play a bass or guitar into Axe, like usual, without anything weird, like stereo effects before Axe. Sum L+R would add the front and back inputs, and bake them into a mono signal. If you don't have two things going into the Axe, it is useless. Same for the stereo, except that one keeps the left and right signals separate. You'd use this if you use, for some reason, a stereo chorus before the Axe. Also remember that some blocks are mono, (Drive and Amp for example, the most used ones) so you would have to plan how to keep the stereo effect all the way through the Axe.

2: No, the output knob doesn't need to be maxed. Unity gain means that if you plug your guitar/bass, and make a preset that has nothing in the grid, output will be as loud as the input.

3: No, if you don't flip phase in one channel only, and then sum the signal, or use two speakers.

4: Don't use global eq for your general tones. Keep it flat, and only tweak if needed on a gig, or compensating for speaker problems.

Last edited:
One thing, try some different cabs - I did some jbl 15 and 10 inch cabs which make quite a difference.

Pauly

Wow the learning curve on this thing is steep, but enjoyable. I have been trying a bunch of Ultra Res bass cabinets I d/l from this forum which are making a huge impact on the sound, in a good way! Now I m reading and actually understanding the importance of the IR. Big steps in the right direction. :ugeek

Gilly, could you post a link or some audio, or even a descriptive reference of the type of tone you are looking to get? Perhaps reference this video and let us know what your favorite flavor is, and then we can help out with getting that tone out of the AxeFx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVbuVp0GvE

Based on what your OP, I'm guessing that the POD you tried out has a fair amount of compression and EQ going on within that preset. Perhaps you could jot down the signal chain from the POD for the bass preset you like, listing the order of processors, amp/speaker, etc., and some of the critical settings, and maybe we can get you to a happier place.

Back
Top Bottom