Help with Axefx2 into Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 via Spdif

Shredder3386

Inspired
Hey guys,

I just bought a Scarlett 6i6 interface, and I'm having a hell of a time setting it up to record. I though the convertors on the Axefx were fine, I would just like to be able to mix my songs without having to turn on the Axefx every time for no reason. I've got everything plugged in, but both my DAW and interface don't seem to acknowledge a signal coming through. Cubase is set to use the Scarlett's driver and the interface works fine when I am mixing, just not recording. The current setup is:

Guitar plugged in to "INSTR"
75 Ohm coax cable from Axe going from spdif "out" to spdif "in on the Scarlett 6i6
Both Studio Monitors plugged into Scarlett via Line output 1 and Line 2 on the back
Spdif set in I/O menu on Axe
48k sample rate selected in Scarlett "Mix Control" and source set to Spdif (although I have tried Internal as well)

Am I missing something? I have even tried cranking both the gain knobs and outputs knobs on the axe. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

What kind of computer PC or Mac? What DAW? Are you using real SPDIF cables bc regular RCA cables don't usually work?

I use a PC with Cakewalk Sonar X3 and the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I won't be by my DAW until Thursday around 7pm EST but I'll gladly share my settings if you don't figure it out by then.

Are you getting a signal in the Scarlett Mix Control? Do you have any of the channel strips in the Mix Control setup sourcing spdif?

Last edited:
What kind of computer PC or Mac? What DAW? Are you using real SPDIF cables bc regular RCA cables don't usually work?

I use a PC with Cakewalk Sonar X3 and the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I won't be by my DAW until Thursday around 7pm EST but I'll gladly share my settings if you don't figure it out by then.

Hey, thanks a lot for the help man. I really appreciate it, you're awesome. I'm using a PC with Cubase 7.5. This is the cable I'm using.

Link Audio Link Audio S/PDIF RCA COAX Cable - 6 Foot - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

I'm usually pretty tech savy but this has me stumped. Thanks again for your help :)

Are you getting a signal in the Scarlett Mix Control? Do you have any of the channel strips in the Mix Control setup sourcing spidif?

Nope, no signal at all in the Mix Control. How do you set up channel strips to source the spdif? Thanks for your help dude.

At the top of the faders in the mix control is a lable, for example "Anlg In1", by clicking here a dropdown will open allowing selecting out of all the available inputs, select spdif as the input source. Are you getting a signal now?

Last edited:
At the top of the faders in the mix control is a lable, for example "Anlg In1", by clicking here a dropdown will open allowing selecting out of all the available inputs, select spidif as the input source. Are you getting a signal now?

I'm at work currently but I will check when I get home. I definitely didn't do that though, so thats probably the issue. Thanks Solarfire, I appreciate it.

photo.jpg

Hey guys, so I changed the input to spdif and it worked great. I can now monitor the sound coming from the Axefx. The only issue now is Cubase wont register any sound coming from the Scarlett 6i6. I've attached a screen shot of my setup in the MixControl. Any tips on fixing this? I would love to start recording with my Axe agian. Thanks again for all your help.

I'm not a Cubase user (Reaper) but I would think it to be similar. Setup a track selecting the spdif channel you assigned in the Scarlett Mix Control as source and set the Track in your DAW into record mode, no monitoring of this track or you will get an echo.

I'm not a Cubase user (Reaper) but I would think it to be similar. Setup a track selecting the spdif channel you assigned in the Scarlett Mix Control as source and set the Track in your DAW into record mode, no monitoring of this track or you will get an echo.

Sweet, I will give that a try when I get home. Thanks for the help Solarfire, appreciate it big time.

I woke up early for work today, so I took some screenshots:

Focusrite MixControl v1.8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kowbic0bd9z7e59/MixControl.png?dl=0

Cakewalk SONAR X2 Pro
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr4fh6eogre0vu0/SONAR X2.png?dl=0

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I think my main problem is I wasn't creating an input for my DAW. For some reason my brain was connecting the output of my DAW with the output of the Scarlett so I was trying to solve my problem by routing the out of my scarlett rather than creating an input. I'm at work, but when I get home I am going to give that a try and hopefully that solves the issue. Thanks again to both you and Solarfire, you guys helped me massively.

Not to make your situation more confusing but I use 2 SPDIF cables, so I can record a dry track and reamp. Once you get your issue figured out, let me know if you want instructions on how to reamp. I have a wordpad doc that has screenshots and notes, so I remember how to set everything up bc there's so many things I have to remember to do on my DAW and gear.

Make sure your Focusrite and DAW are set to record 48K 24bit

Not to make your situation more confusing but I use 2 SPDIF cables, so I can record a dry track and reamp. Once you get your issue figured out, let me know if you want instructions on how to reamp. I have a wordpad doc that has screenshots and notes, so I remember how to set everything up bc there's so many things I have to remember to do on my DAW and gear.

Make sure your Focusrite and DAW are set to record 48K 24bit

Thanks for all the advice dude. I finally got this bastard working today haha. The thing I was missing was selecting an input for the DAW in the Mix Control. I also had to enable the spdif in my DAW rather than the mic input. Now I can finally track with the Axe but run the Scarlett as an interface for mixing/masteirng without having to turn my Axe on. Currently I only have one spdif cable but I would love some advice on reamping because I will probably start doing that in the near future. Thanks again, let me know if you need anything in the future (advice, a mix of your song etc).

Shredder3386,

OT but just wondering what kind of speaker monitors you are using and are you using balanced or unbalanced cables? The reason I'm asking is bc I'm getting some interference noise only when using my Focusrite 6i6 and don't get it when using my AF2 or Line 6 UX2 as sound cards. The noise occurs even with nothing connected to my 6i6 and all MixControl channels muted. I'm using M-Audio BX8 older model speaker monitors connected using unbalanced cables to my Samson C-Control which is connected to my 6i6 with unbalanced cables. I'm using the same cables when connecting my AF2, UX2 and 6i6, so it's not an issue of cable placement near power cables or noisy devices but I've tried moving things around and nothing has helped. I don't have any 1/4" TRS balanced cables to try but I wouldn't think I need to use them when my other devices don't have issues.

Don't know if this will help, but look at the attached link (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Review - YouTube), from 8:34 the guy talks about an issue he had with the USB port

Thank you! I think I remember Cliff or the Wiki mentioning something about ground loops with USB cables causing noise. I'm going to contact Focusrite and get this taken care of. I'm glad I bought my 6i6 from Musiciansfriend.com with the extended warranty.

I know this is an old thread but hoping you guys can help. I'm trying to mimic this setup (Ultra, Scarlett 6i6 and Sonar Professional). My setup currently:

front input MP-1 to guitar.
back outputs MP-1 to back Input 1 on Ultra
spdif out/in on Ultra to spdif in/out on Scarlett

Ultra I/O Mode set to digital
Ultra I/O audio: in1 stereo out 1 mode stereo out1 phase invert

Using Mix Control 1.9b4 and set it up according to the screen grabs here to no avail. Also not seeing any meter reading on inputs on front of Ultra. If I disconnect spdif and run outputs from Ultra to my mixer (and adjusting I/O), everything works fine. I know I'm close but this has got me baffled. I want to start recording a tribute tune for my best friend who died a couple weeks ago and this holding me up %$#@$%.

Any advice?

thanks
Finstah

Back
Top Bottom