Help with Axe FX 2 + Mesa 2:90 and real cabs

nambutio

Inspired
I always used the Axe FX 2 and Mesa 2/90/2 with Power Amp Modeling ON.

I tested him off and enjoyed it for some amps. The problem is with the Vox and others who need the power section. :(

How to solve it?

And when the PA is on, what is the right fit of the LF and HF Speaker Page? Normal is LF (5.83) and HF (6.67). These values seem exaggerated to the gear in question! LF and HF to zero?

Supply Sag to (0.01) would resolve?

Help please ... :)

Your poweramp is going to color what you are hearing. you need a more neutral power amp to get the differences I'm afraid. No matter what it's going to color what you are hearing.

When I was running a 2:90 a lot of the amp models tended to sound similar. But if you don't want to take advantage of a lot of the different models and say run a boogie model you should be golden. In the end use your ears, what sounds best.

I ran a 2:90 for years with Axe Fx. Great amp for sure and built like a brick shit house.....but colored tone too much. Only solid state amp that sounded as ballsy as the 2:90 was the Matrix GT1600FX. All the balls of 2:90 but allows the amp models to shine through. Even the Matrix 1000 watt did't work.....1600 was the ticket.

I would also recommend the Carvin DCM1540L, which works great with the AxeFX as well and is about half of the price of the Matrix!

I would recommend setting HI RES and LOW RES to zero if using the power amp sim with a tube amp. I believe Cliff also recommend doing this as well but prefered that you run it with the sim off and the sag set to zero.

Question: I've been using a 2:90 and it works ok. I keep sims off or it really doesn't work for me at all. My question is: how do all you guys deal with the huge wattage of the SS power amps? The amps above, and even their siblings, are 200-800? Watts/ channel. I have many guitar cabs but none that can handle that kind of power. You'd need a 4 x12 w/ EV 12Ls, right? The 2:90 isn't the perfect solution but it allows me to use many cabs. Most amps, particularly Voxes, still need major tweaking but you can get there.

I have RCF nx12s too but I really wanted the amp in the room

Your setup sounds like a recipe for weirdness to me; not that it couldn't sound good... just going to be a lot of unnecessary effort and still might be less than ideal if you are looking for versatility. I would at least turn power amp modeling off if using a tube power amp.

And of course unless Mesa is your bread and butter, as others have noted, an SS power amp may be preferred if you are looking to get the most from the power amp emulation.

I run my Axe II XL+ through a 2:90 with amp and speaker modeling off and it sounds great- I wouldn't change it for the world now. I have tried many other combinations but couldn't get a solid state amp to sound right so the 2:90 is here to stay. I accidentally had the power amp modeling on last night when I fired it up and it took me a while to figure out why it sounded so bad so I think it's whatever sounds best to you. You also have to give your ears and brain time to adjust to any changes- you might find that you adjust to the amp sims off if you give it some time.

Question: I've been using a 2:90 and it works ok. I keep sims off or it really doesn't work for me at all. My question is: how do all you guys deal with the huge wattage of the SS power amps? The amps above, and even their siblings, are 200-800? Watts/ channel. I have many guitar cabs but none that can handle that kind of power. You'd need a 4 x12 w/ EV 12Ls, right? The 2:90 isn't the perfect solution but it allows me to use many cabs. Most amps, particularly Voxes, still need major tweaking but you can get there.

I have RCF nx12s too but I really wanted the amp in the room

FYI I ran AxeFx through a Dynacord PM 1000 power mixer (putting out about 380w a side @ 8ohms) into a single 10" 25watt greenback speaker for almost 3-hours... Played it loud (about as loud as my Princeton dialled to 5 or 6) and it held up fine, in fact I often gigged with a mic'd Princeton at less volume... I'm guessing only if you drive a speaker into distortion with a big SS amp will it end badly... Do get a second opinion though!

Last edited:
I run mine directly into the effects return on my Mesa heads (modern mode on, channel 4 selected) and into my Mesa cabs, which is pretty much using my heads like a 2:90 (basically the same power amp section). I don't use cab sims except on a few patches that I go FOH thru output 1 and no cab sim to my stage gear thru output 2. I also have power amp sim on. I've dialed in some exceptional patches using the 5153 red & blue for the rock/metal, and the Jazz 120 for cleans. Many many complements on my tone. Funny, when others come and say "I need to get a Mesa" or "what are your settings?", they usually are surprised when I hit the bypass on the fractal and strum, saying "this is it, the rest is AxeFx "

I used a 2:90 for a while, I agree, not the most neutral power amp. But no tube amp will be.... I use an EL34 based amp, because that's predominantly what I used for high gain applications , but when it comes to a Vox, for example, it doesn't sound exactly right...

Yeah certain amps aren't going to respond the same way. You're using a tube power amp that comes with a certain amount of headroom and color type. Though I really feel like many people over-emphasize the "color" aspect of the amp.

I just got a 290 and love it! I don't play with power amp modeling on and I am perfectly happy. If you're looking for a bit more breakup, you can reduce matter volume and increase input trim. It's not perfect but you'll kind if get the idea.

I'm super stoked on mine. I got a custom hard bias done on the unit and am running split 6l6 and el34s... So... Damn... Good...!!!

Thanks guys, but I think what I found a way to deal with it.
through the Speaker Page! :)
What parameters are you tweaking for a good result? I've the same issue...tube poweramp overcompressing Amp with p.a. sim ON. I'm searching to lowering this double compression (virtual + real).

Back
Top Bottom