Help with a Plexi tone

Random Hero

Inspired
So I recently got rid of the FM3 but I just purchased an Axe FX III Mark II which should arrive tomorrow.

One tone, for whatever reason, that always eluded by was the super kerrangy, bright, present Plexi tone? I could always get a nice gainy Plexi that sounded great but I don't feel like I ever got the kerrang present here - ?

I'm thinking it's an IR thing. Any recommendations for IRs to get there? I have the York Audio, Suhr Celestion, Celestion, and a bunch of Ownhammer Greenbacks (M25 / GNR etc) but can't seem to find one that gets me this.

I know it's a fairly simple tone in principle but if anybody has nailed something similar to the link above then I'd be grateful for pointers.

Hi @Random Hero ,
Have a look at the new factory preset plexi. It would be a great start. Can’t tell you exactly what it’s called as I’m not with my unit right now.
Thanks
Pauly

Try this and if you have it experiment with the York Audio Friedman pack (first M25 mixes that are a blend between a 57 and a 121 or try to do your own with the single mic captures) and don't forget to change the impedance curve to the friedman 4x12.

Attachments

• Plexi for Random Hero.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
I use the jumped 100w Plexi with mix 3 from the YA M25 pack (impedance curve basketweave) and it sounds absolutely glorious with a Les Paul. Keep the high drive above the normal and there’s plenty of kerrang, bark and honk and any other positive adjective used to describe Marshalls.

I’d recommend reading through https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/van-halen-1-cygnus.174826/ and watching the videos.

While they were targeting a Van Halen sound, there are great tips for pushing and tweaking the various Plexi models. If they are too hot, rolling back the gain on the guitar or amp will open the sound more. Brett Kingman (@Burgs) has a couple videos through the thread demoing the sounds and tweaks that should get you closer, and shares the “8 Shades of Brown” preset so you can tweak/adjust/mangle however you want.

The cab choice is really important for the sound, so pay attention to their recommendations in the thread, especially later when Kingman finds some good candidates in the factory cabs. I think he used those in the preset he shared.

Also, remember that the guitar and pickups and miking make a big difference in the sound. Pete Thorn is using a Les Paul, Kingman is using an Ernie Ball if I remember right, so there’s a difference in body weight and pickup sound and corresponding amp tone. Plus we don’t know what EQ Thorn applied to his amp recording, and the FX3 is modeling a close miked cabinet so there’s a difference there too.

Last edited:
As they often do, watching Pete's video again inspired me and I tried following along with the AF3. For the 50W JMP I used the Plexi 50w 6550 and it took just a little tweaking to get that tone you're after with my LP R8. Same with the 1959 using the 159 SLP Jumped.
That was using the York Audio M25 mix 3, Basketweave impedance and 0.5 of gain enhancer. I can't say enough good things about the YA IRs. The M25 pack took my vintage Marshall presets to a new level and the TV pack did the same for my JCM800 presets.

There's a bit on that video I think is great, where Pete is loving the tone he's got on the 50w JMP and looks back at the camera with a grin on his face that says a thousand words. I burst out laughing, because it's the exact grin I had at the same time watching and jamming along. Pretty much every Marshall in the AF3 does it, but the Plexis are something special.

Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 20.24.38.png

So I recently got rid of the FM3 but I just purchased an Axe FX III Mark II which should arrive tomorrow.

One tone, for whatever reason, that always eluded by was the super kerrangy, bright, present Plexi tone? I could always get a nice gainy Plexi that sounded great but I don't feel like I ever got the kerrang present here - ?

I'm thinking it's an IR thing. Any recommendations for IRs to get there? I have the York Audio, Suhr Celestion, Celestion, and a bunch of Ownhammer Greenbacks (M25 / GNR etc) but can't seem to find one that gets me this.

I know it's a fairly simple tone in principle but if anybody has nailed something similar to the link above then I'd be grateful for pointers.

That tone wouldn't be hard to replicate using Tone Match.

Last edited:
Isn't Pete sitting in front of a cab here?

That's a world of difference in the way a guitar responds.

The TV cabs in the stock Axe 3 sound like this. But needs volume.

So you can't get that sound with stock IRs and\or without doing a tonematch? That tonematch seems identical to the original sound

I like the SL 68 a lot, however turning off the bright cap and copying Pete’s settings don’t cut it. Something going on besides just no bright cap. I’ve wanted to see it show up in the AXFX for a long time. I haven’t been able to get any of the Plexi’s to sound like Pete’s SL 68 so far. Any one have any tips on that one?

These types of sounds are my go-to Marshall sound... This is the 1987x with the Brit 70s GB cab. For this I turned off my normal 100hz low cut...

Isn't Pete sitting in front of a cab here?

That's a world of difference in the way a guitar responds.

The TV cabs in the stock Axe 3 sound like this. But needs volume.
No, he has his cabs mic'd up in the back and he listens through studio monitors.

You guys get way deeper into this stuff than I can but here's how I get that sound with just stock amps/FX/Cabs. I have the bright cap on but turned down to 300 pF and the fizz is really sensitive to the Presence control.

I'm using these cabs as recommended by @Burgs , who I believe was inspired by @R.D. I'm also using the new Maxoff 808 for a little mid honk and a touch of FullRez IRs to replicate a little of OP's room ambience.

kerrang.jpg

No, he has his cabs mic'd up in the back and he listens through studio monitors.
You're right of course. There are other vids where he does have the cab next to him, but not this one.

My bad.

I love the 'kerrang' as much as OP and if I can offer anything... its to try amp models that you wouldn't expect.

I'm so freaking stoked about the Hot Kitty model with the preamp cranked that I have abandoned all my Marshall and Boogie patches.

You're right of course. There are other vids where he does have the cab next to him, but not this one.

My bad.

I love the 'kerrang' as much as OP and if I can offer anything... its to try amp models that you wouldn't expect.

I'm so freaking stoked about the Hot Kitty model with the preamp cranked that I have abandoned all my Marshall and Boogie patches.
Yeah he does in a few vid's but mainly he uses his mic'd cab in the back when its super loud, can't blame him lol
The Hot Kitty amp is great in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom