Help!!Why all the wahs sound 'gain boosted' by default in FW10.10?

The wah block generates NO distortion with the drive at zero. I don't know how many times more I have to say this for it to sink in but I'll keep repeating it until it does I guess. If you are hearing distortion it isn't the wah block.

OK.
Just to put my part in this to a rest....

You're right.
I made some incorrect assumptions about my clean amp tone settings.
Evidently they're not as hyper-clean as I thought.
All the distortion I'm hearing when using the Wah is being generated in the Amp Block.
I proved this to myself by Bypassing the Amp Block and then the Wah is real clean (unless its Drive control is maxxed and then it's a bit distorted).

Move on folks.
Nothing to see here...

I'm not sure if this helps in terms of audio reference, but I was bored so I created a patch with just Wah, Amp, and Cabinet Block. Using The Trip Tik Clean in the amp block (pardon the playing I was only trying to get some audio in order to hear the difference between clean and wah engaged).
I hear some break up with the Wah engaged, but that could be certain frequencies from the Wah pushing the front of the amp (just a guess). After making the recording I experimented with moving the wah after the amp and cab block. Certain parts of the wah sweep clipped the output, but overall the breakup was gone.

Try putting the wah after the amp (or after the cab too). If is still distorts & is not clipping any outputs, it's the wah.

I'm not complaining, I'm bragging... I just updated to the latest firmware last night. Had a blast for about an hour or so sampling all of the new beautiful Wah selections.

I found nothing but pure wha madness! Great job!

***Thank you!***

Or just turn off the amp block. That's what I do.

I just thought that changing the order would change the overall sound much less (or at all) except for hopefully eliminating the distortion. Is there a reason that the new wahs overdrive the inputs so much more than the previous wahs? It's been a long time but my orig Vox Clyde & Crybaby didn't cause any noticeable distortion. I come from a funk R & B background & played clean the vast majority of the time, especially rhythm guitar. Just curious. I love the sound of the Clyde.

Guys, I could be wrong but I may have figured out the problem here.

For me, the wah makes quite a bit of zipper noise around the middle of the sweep, unless damping in the controller page is turned up high to about 30ms. This sounds a bit like breakup when you're sweeping fast. The damping seems to default to zero and it sounds very crunchy like this.

Can someone test this out?

I'm not observing that behavior. The code turns off the drive modeling if the drive is set to zero so there is NO distortion if the drive is at zero. You can argue otherwise but you'd be wrong.
Such an elegant element of practicality in your prose, Cliff.

I like that.

Damping defaults to 0ms here. I used to set it at 8ms and it solved zipper noise. Now I need to set it at 30ms which feels a bit sluggish.

Do you hear the noise I'm talking about? Sounds a bit like breakup.

This is exactly what I've experienced since the fresh update 10.10
I mentioned it in my very first inquiry thread.
On my Axe v10.10 the Drive control in the Wah block now seems to be broken.

Set Drive to zero, and the OP's distortion is quite evident.
Set to non zero, there is a very slight change from 0 to 0.1, but from 0.1 to max there is little if any change in distortion characteristics.

Seems like a bug to me.

I reset the Wah Block by clicking twice on the Byp button and then selected/re-selected the various Wah Types and the above problems are still there.

This is exactly what I've experienced since the fresh update 10.10
I mentioned it in my very first inquiry thread.

However, Joe then posted:
"OK.
Just to put my part in this to a rest....

You're right.
I made some incorrect assumptions about my clean amp tone settings.
Evidently they're not as hyper-clean as I thought.
All the distortion I'm hearing when using the Wah is being generated in the Amp Block.
I proved this to myself by Bypassing the Amp Block and then the Wah is real clean (unless its Drive control is maxxed and then it's a bit distorted).

Move on folks.
Nothing to see here..."

For what it's worth

I just recorded 10 or 15 seconds of a preset using wah on 10.09, then I upgraded to 10.10 and recorded a few more seconds on the same preset.

The amp is Herbie Ch2, the wah block is before the amp. Interestingly (based on what others have written) the damp settings didn't revert back to 0, they stayed at 12ms (where I had them before).

Back
Top Bottom