Help ~ Volume Pedal Control Problem

Radley

Experienced
Hello Axers: I need some experienced advice for a volume control problem I’ve been experiencing. I am using a standard vol. pedal to send volume info using the Axe’s first common controller bus? to control the volume block. I can achieve *basic* control of my volume, but every time I try to make a slight adjustment there is a noticable dip/wavering in level that is rather noticable ~ this is especially noticeable at lower levels while playing sustained sounds. I am using a Visual Sound active volume pedal. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what was the solution? Thanks!

Radley, active volume pedals generally don't work well as expression pedals. I realize the Visual Sound pedal has an active and a passive mode, but what that means in practice isn't obvious. Expression pedals are just wires across potentiometers -- they're quite simple in comparison to something like that Visual Sound pedal you're using.

I'd first try to rule the pedal out as the culprit here. Do you have access to a simple, passive expression pedal you can try instead of the Visual Sound pedal to see if you experience the same problem? If you don't have one, they can be had pretty cheap if you go with something like the Moog Audio EP-3 pedal. $40 or so to test that it's not a problem with the pedal.

Radley, active volume pedals generally don't work well as expression pedals. I realize the Visual Sound pedal has an active and a passive mode, but what that means in practice isn't obvious. Expression pedals are just wires across potentiometers -- they're quite simple in comparison to something like that Visual Sound pedal you're using.

I'd first try to rule the pedal out as the culprit here. Do you have access to a simple, passive expression pedal you can try instead of the Visual Sound pedal to see if you experience the same problem? If you don't have one, they can be had pretty cheap if you go with something like the Moog Audio EP-3 pedal. $40 or so to test that it's not a problem with the pedal.

Thanks Ian! Now that you mention it ~ an active volume pedal would be changing levels, but *not* necessarily changing resistance. Unfortunately, all my equipment is on it's way to Australia, so I won't have a chance to try this until I arrive for the rehearsals/tour.

Matt (mr. wonderful) has just informed me that I should try adjusting the damping parameter in the Vol. block... DUH! ;) I now have very high hopes that I can get this resolved before the upcoming Aussie Tour ~ Most excellent. ;)

Back
Top Bottom