Help. V30 cab is the only IR I don't hate, so clearly I'm something wrong

deathbyguitar

Power User
So I've had my Ultra since October and I've found that the V30 cab is the only thing remotely suitable for the music I'm trying to record, which is funny considering it's not even based on a real cab. There's something unique about it's EQ; it lacks most of the frequencies I hate for distorted guitars, but it's far from being perfect. For months now, I've tried a slew of different IR sets (Redwirez, Recabinet 2 and 3, Ownhammer) and cant get anything to sit in a mix the same way. Not even close. The fact that I can't get ANY other IR to sound decent tells me I clearly have no idea how to EQ guitars and V30 sounding good must be a happy accident. :lol

Now obviously if I had a better understanding of guitar-oriented EQ, I could probably shape all other IR's I have to sound similar. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. Is there any sort of program/VST plugin that can compare frequency responses of IR files and such? Any advice at all would probably help.

Also, look in the ultra/std user cab ir's discussion. There is a sticky for the freq. resp. on all the stock cabs.

Back
Top Bottom