Help understanding the Control Switches (CS)

Paultergeist

Inspired
I have read a couple of times now that the Control Switches (CS) are -- or at least can be -- significant. I am not sure that I actually understand WHERE these switches are located in the FM3 Edit interface. I am asking for guidance.

I will mention that I really don't feel like my FM3 is lacking anything WITHOUT using these Control Switches, but I sort of found myself on this path of inquiry after purchasing Auston Buddy's Gold Presets. Several times in the READ ME which accompanied the Gold pack, AB stressed the importance of trying the Presets with/without Control Switch 2 (CS2) activated. I would like to understand what is being referenced here with "CS2." AB indicated in his instructions that CS2 was located within the Amp block, but I am just not sure I am following the train of thought.

From his description, it sounds like AB may mean the "Input Boost" (which I can locate in the Amp block parameters), but that switch doesn't seem to allow editing within the Preset (which itself seems weird), and I don't get why it is being called CS2.

What I am missing here?

From his description, it sounds like AB may mean the "Input Boost" (which I can locate in the Amp block parameters), but that switch doesn't seem to allow editing within the Preset (which itself seems weird), and I don't get why it is being called CS2.
The CS2 is assigned as a modifier on the switch in the Amp block.

When a parameter has a modifier assigned, you cannot change the value of the parameter "manually" because it's already being controlled by the modifier.

I have read a couple of times now that the Control Switches (CS) are -- or at least can be -- significant. I am not sure that I actually understand WHERE these switches are located in the FM3 Edit interface. I am asking for guidance.

I will mention that I really don't feel like my FM3 is lacking anything WITHOUT using these Control Switches, but I sort of found myself on this path of inquiry after purchasing Auston Buddy's Gold Presets. Several times in the READ ME which accompanied the Gold pack, AB stressed the importance of trying the Presets with/without Control Switch 2 (CS2) activated. I would like to understand what is being referenced here with "CS2." AB indicated in his instructions that CS2 was located within the Amp block, but I am just not sure I am following the train of thought.

What I am missing here?
Take a closer look a @austinbuddy ’s Live Gold Pack. It includes a layout that already has the necessary control switches built in.

Take a closer look a @austinbuddy ’s Live Gold Pack. It includes a layout that already has the necessary control switches built in.
Everyone, my sincere thanks for the support. I really am trying to get this, although I feel like there is a single bit of the puzzle that I am just not seeing.

Rex, to your point: I AM taking a closer look at Austin Buddy's (AB) Live Gold pack, which is to say that I purchased the "Gold" pack and have been successful at using it -- at least at a basic level.

I think that many of AB's presets sound great. What has made me so tenacious about this point of understanding the CS is that AB -- several times in his READ ME documents -- stresses how important CS2 is to get the full effect of the Gold pack. I can't seem to get to a point where I can turn CS2 on or off to even audition or hear what AB is referring to. I think that might be the crux of the issue.

Last edited:
Alright, I think I may see part of my problem here. I am using the "Tools" ---> "Manage Presets" function of FM3 Edit, and I have then dragged-and-dropped the AB Gold Presets into the Browser window. My intent was to listen to the Presets (audition them) from within FM3 Edit, without necessarily installing into the FM3 Preset Banks.

I am starting to think that -- in order to hear the effect of toggling CS2 on and off -- I may have to first install the "Gold' Preset AND assign one of the (physical) Foot-Switches to CS2......is that possibly the case? This is my first time ever purchasing non-factory Presets, so there is probably something fundamental which I have not yet learned about this.

Alright, I think I may see part of my problem here. I am using the "Tools" ---> "Manage Presets" function of FM3 Edit, and I have then dragged-and-dropped the AB Gold Presets into the Browser window. My intent was to listen to the Presets (audition them) from within FM3 Edit, without necessarily installing into the FM3 Preset Banks.

I am starting to think that -- in order to hear the effect of toggling CS2 on and off -- I may have to first install the "Gold' Preset AND assign one of the (physical) Foot-Switches to CS2......is that possibly the case? This is my first time ever purchasing non-factory Presets, so there is probably something fundamental which I have not yet learned about this.
I believe AB includes some Layouts for you to load as well as the presets, but I am not certain on that... I'm sure he'll chime in here.

... I feel like there is a single bit of the puzzle that I am just not seeing.

There is. :)

I believe AB includes some Layouts for you to load as well as the presets...

Look in the Live Gold folders for a file named README!Using_FootControllerLAYOUTS_with_LIVEGOLD.pdf

Also look for folders in the Live GOld pack named FM3_Only_AB_MasterLayout and FM3+FM_OMG9_AB_Master_Layout.

Rex and UG,

Thanks very much for the continued dialog; I do truly appreciate it. I think I may be starting to see part of the disconnect in my understanding.

To provide a visual reference of my scenario: I am sitting at my computer with my guitar in my lap. That computer is running FM3 Edit, through which I am controlling my FM3 unit in real-time (output connected to a small amp, etc). I am auditioning Presets and the Scenes contained therein, listening to how they sound, etc. While I have no problem turning individual effects blocks on or off, or adjusting the knobs on any amp I am test-driving. So far, so good.....until I venture down the rabbit hole of Control Switches...

1. If I am starting to follow this better, the idea that I could just use FM3 Edit to "toggle" Control Switches (such as CS2) "on" or "off" at whim is where my understanding was flawed. Is this correct? Was I lost because I was looking for a way to simply toggle a CS2 switch from within FM3 Edit -- when what was required is programming the Footswitch on the FM3 unit itself in order to access CS2? In other words, Control Switches are not intended to be toggled from within the FM3 Edit software interface, but rather directly from the (physical) Footswitches?

2. Perhaps the other half of the puzzle -- as stated previously by UG (above) -- is that since the modifier I am trying to hear (CS2 is an Input Boost, I think) is ALREADY assigned to a controller, I cannot control it from the FM3 interface. Is that also correct?

Rex and UG,

Thanks very much for the continued dialog; I do truly appreciate it. I think I may be starting to see part of the disconnect in my understanding.

To provide a visual reference of my scenario: I am sitting at my computer with my guitar in my lap. That computer is running FM3 Edit, through which I am controlling my FM3 unit in real-time (output connected to a small amp, etc). I am auditioning Presets and the Scenes contained therein, listening to how they sound, etc. While I have no problem turning individual effects blocks on or off, or adjusting the knobs on any amp I am test-driving. So far, so good.....until I venture down the rabbit hole of Control Switches...

1. If I am starting to follow this better, the idea that I could just use FM3 Edit to "toggle" Control Switches (such as CS2) "on" or "off" at whim is where my understanding was flawed. Is this correct? Was I lost because I was looking for a way to simply toggle a CS2 switch from within FM3 Edit -- when what was required is programming the Footswitch on the FM3 unit itself in order to access CS2? In other words, Control Switches are not intended to be toggled from within the FM3 Edit software interface, but rather directly from the (physical) Footswitches?

2. Perhaps the other half of the puzzle -- as stated previously by UG (above) -- is that since the modifier I am trying to hear (CS2 is an Input Boost, I think) is ALREADY assigned to a controller, I cannot control it from the FM3 interface. Is that also correct?
Yes and yes! :)

@austinbuddy provided layouts in the Live Gold pack that have Control Switches built into them.

In other words, Control Switches are not intended to be toggled from within the FM3 Edit software interface, but rather directly from the (physical) Footswitches?

I think the Controllers: CS Per Scene page can be used for this. I'm not sure if reselecting the scene is required for a change to take effect.

I think the Controllers: CS Per Scene page can be used for this. I'm not sure if reselecting the scene is required for a change to take effect.
Sir,
You were on to something, and I think part of the problem was also a deficiency of understanding on my own part; this probably impaired my ability to even ask the question. I figured out my solution, and I wanted to report back. Maybe this will help someone else one day.

Scenario: I was playing with some purchased Presets (Austin Buddy Gold) which already had amp modifiers (switches) such as "Input Boost," "Bright," and Fat Switch" assigned to Control Switches (CSs). I wanted to hear how the Presets sounded while being able to toggle those modifiers ON or OFF -- without having to re-assign a different Foot-Controller layout to my FM3 (I already had my foot-switches assigned the way I wanted them).

So....how could I disable that modifier (such as Input Boost) from the Control Switch? As it was, the "Input Boost" -- as viewed within the amp block -- was illuminated with the little orange dot, meaning that it had been assigned to a controller and could not be simply turned ON or OFF from within the amp block.

Solution: Click on the "Controllers" button (upper left of FM3 Edit screen)......
....select "Modifiers" from the lower window field.....
........Single-click on the modifier I want to change (in this case, Input Boost).....this brings up an "Edit Modifier" splash screen....
............Click in the "Source" field, and select "None." This disables the connection between the modifier (in this case, Input Boost), and whatever Control Switch (in this case, CS2) has been assigned to the function....and doing this was the solution.

Returning to tweak the actual amp block in the Preset, I now find that Input Boost switch is no longer illuminated with the orange dot -- meaning that it is NO LONGER assigned to a CS. I can now freely toggle this modifier it ON or OFF within within the amp block.

This is exactly what i wanted to achieve, as I find it much easier to audition the Presets simply from within the FM3 interface -- without having to install another Foot-Controller layout and activate CSs from the FM3 unit at the same time. This probably seems obvious to many of the more-experienced FM3 users, but this took me a while to figure out. Being to adjust / season the Presets and Scenes as I wish - without being tied to the CS FC layout -- greatly enhances my ability to actually use the AB Gold Presets. I am glad that I to this issue sorted out.

Thanks again to everyone for their help along the way.

Sir,
You were on to something, and I think part of the problem was also a deficiency of understanding on my own part; this probably impaired my ability to even ask the question. I figured out my solution, and I wanted to report back. Maybe this will help someone else one day.

Scenario: I was playing with some purchased Presets (Austin Buddy Gold) which already had amp modifiers (switches) such as "Input Boost," "Bright," and Fat Switch" assigned to Control Switches (CSs). I wanted to hear how the Presets sounded while being able to toggle those modifiers ON or OFF -- without having to re-assign a different Foot-Controller layout to my FM3 (I already had my foot-switches assigned the way I wanted them).

So....how could I disable that modifier (such as Input Boost) from the Control Switch? As it was, the "Input Boost" -- as viewed within the amp block -- was illuminated with the little orange dot, meaning that it had been assigned to a controller and could not be simply turned ON or OFF from within the amp block.

Solution: Click on the "Controllers" button (upper left of FM3 Edit screen)......
....select "Modifiers" from the lower window field.....
........Single-click on the modifier I want to change (in this case, Input Boost).....this brings up an "Edit Modifier" splash screen....
............Click in the "Source" field, and select "None." This disables the connection between the modifier (in this case, Input Boost), and whatever Control Switch (in this case, CS2) has been assigned to the function....and doing this was the solution.

Returning to tweak the actual amp block in the Preset, I now find that Input Boost switch is no longer illuminated with the orange dot -- meaning that it is NO LONGER assigned to a CS. I can now freely toggle this modifier it ON or OFF within within the amp block.

This is exactly what i wanted to achieve, as I find it much easier to audition the Presets simply from within the FM3 interface -- without having to install another Foot-Controller layout and activate CSs from the FM3 unit at the same time. This probably seems obvious to many of the more-experienced FM3 users, but this took me a while to figure out. Being to adjust / season the Presets and Scenes as I wish - without being tied to the CS FC layout -- greatly enhances my ability to actually use the AB Gold Presets. I am glad that I to this issue sorted out.

Thanks again to everyone for their help along the way.
Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy!

I had a similar question, wondering how to enable CS2 from within Axe-Edit without using a physical footswitch. This may be useful to someone else. Here's one way that works.
  1. Decide which Scene to try CS2 on.
  2. Select Controllers in the upper left.
  3. Select CS per Scene in the lower area.
  4. For the desired Scene, set CS2 to On.
  5. Switch to a different Scene, and then back to the Scene above. CS2 will now be on in that Scene.
Similarly, turn CS2 back off in the CS per Scene area for the Scene if you want it disabled again. Also see the Modifiers tab to see what the other CS switches are assigned to, and turn them on/off in the same way.

You can right click on the yellow dot on the boost switch and select none. Now you can toggle within the editor for testing. Once you figure how to assign CS2 to a footswitch you can turn it back on.

Back
Top Bottom