Help trying to tone match Oji Kaizoku Stereo’s guitar tone

First, a small introduction: I consider myself an intermediate with Electric Guitar. I have just over six years of experience, I play almost every day, I record, mix, and have had the experience of trying out many guitars, amplifiers, pedals, etc... I mainly play Japanese rock and Vocaloid music. For those not familiar with the genre the best way I can describe the music is that it is in the style of Classic/Hard Rock. A lot of songs by Boston do a good job demonstrating both the tone and rhythm found in the songs I listen to and play.

To get straight to the point as the title suggests I have been trying to tone match Oji Kaizoku Stereo’s guitar tone. Oji is the main guitarist in the music group HoneyWorks in which is part of the music genre I mentioned earlier. It’s been a challenge for me to tone match to say the least... Although, I can say the hardest parts of the process should be out of the way. I do know his guitar, cabinet, effects, and have access to hours of videos and audio files of him playing through his many social media accounts.

His setup is actually very simple and straight forward. He has an Axe FX II XL+ running straight into the FX return of a Roland JC-120 in stereo. He uses the Axe FX as an amp sim as well as an FX unit. Given how his guitar is being plugged straight into the power amp of the JC-120 the preamp knobs/EQ are not acting as a factor in his tone. The Axe FX is responsible for all the tones coming out of the JC-120. Ironically, I have this same setup only I have the Axe FX III as opposed to the II. With that said I would love some help/guidance in figuring out what amp model/possible effect chain setup he might be using in his Axe FX.

I have attached a YouTube link that goes to him playing a guitar cover of a song called Pride Revolution which is by his music group. Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Pride Revolution guitar cover (Guitar tone I’m after starts at 0:13):

Short video from his Twitter account:

Attachments

• 23C5B7C8-8524-44EB-B4D6-32CBCF1A3225.jpeg
    23C5B7C8-8524-44EB-B4D6-32CBCF1A3225.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'd wager a JCM 800, so the Brit 800 model on Axe FX III
choose a Roland JC 120 Impulse response, F2.0025-F2.0045 from the cabinet list
add a boost pedal , ts808? for the crunchier parts

add in his effects that you know that's more or less equivalent in the AX3 then you're probably close

Experiment with the Amp block’s Input EQ. Find a midrange bump that gets you in the ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom