Help! Trying to record directly to Mac via USB

Hello!

I'm having a really strange problem that I have no idea how to solve.

I'm trying to record guitar from my XL straight into my Mac and into Reaper. I'm recording a distorted guitar but after I finish recording and play it back, it comes back completely clean. It sounds like a DI signal for re-amping which is not what I want.

I've done a lot of searching over the last day and can't seem to figure it out.

Reaper is configured to my XL.

Any tips? I'm about to restore it to factory settings just to rule that out.

What Chris said.
There are 2 lots of stereo outputs over USB:
1. Wet/efx
2. Dry for reamping
To be slightly more accurate, inputs 1 and 2 are the "wet" signal, and inputs 3 and 4 are the dry. What's interesting is that Reaper should default to input 1 though, unless OP has changed their reaper preferences and templates.

To expand even futher, USB Inputs 1 and 2 are determined by USB/DIGI Out Source in the I/O menu. Default is the Axe's Out 1 left and right signals, but it can be set to Out 2 or Input. USB Input 3 is determined by Input 1 Left Select in the I/O menu. By default it is the front panel guitar input signal, but can be changed to the rear panel input 1 left signal instead. USB Input 4 is always the rear panel input 2 right signal.

USB Input 4 is always the rear panel input 2 right signal.

To expand a bit more... USB input 3 & 4 depend on Input 1 Mode. For "left only" USB 3 & 4 will be identical, whatever your selected left/mono input is. For L+R sum they'll both be a sum of L & R. In other words they're whatever enters the grid, before any input noise gating.

According to the diagram on the last page of the manual, the Input 1 Mode switch is after the taps for USB 3 and 4, but now that I think about it, I do recall USB inputs 3 and 4 being duplicates with certain settings. Perhaps its an error in the diagram or it's outdated. It also shows the USB inputs as 0,1,2,3. In the driver, they are 1,2,3,4. Fodder for the pending manual update I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom