Help! Thinking of purchasing an axe fx ii this weekend

The Axe Fx is an expensive unit. That said, it is the most versatile, most useful replacement/stand-in for any amp/effect rig you could possibly need for BOTH live and studio environments. You will easily spend 1-2k+ on a decent amp head, and that's only one amp with maybe a few tonal options. That's not even including effects, and all the routing features of the Axe Fx.

Of course, you'll also have to purchase a power amp and cab, or if you want to do the whole FRFR thing, that's a great option too from what I've heard.

The point is: being a professional musician (or just playing as a hobby) will cost money any way you look at it, unless you're willing to settle for cheap gear (which you will end up wanting to upgrade anyway). The Axe Fx seems to be the most cost effective, seeing how it is so versatile and just sounds amazing in every situation. If you plan on playing guitar for life, grab an Axe Fx. It really won't disappoint!

P.S. You will probably want to sell a lot of your previous equipment too once you've bought it, so you'll make some $$ back if you end up doing that. That should help you feel better haha.

Thanks guys! You are making spending $2000 a lot easier

I went through hell coming up with the money to get mine.

Hardest $2300 I ever came up with.....................Easiest $2300 I ever spent.

I had the same reservations too, but can easily say that it surpassed all my expectations and delivered everything I had hoped it would.

I played through a Boss GT-8 multiFX processor through a PA for a while, but wanted a more realistic tone.

Then I bought a Blackstar HT-100 and a Marshall cab and ran the GT-8 in the effects loop using the 4-cable method.

I loved the better sound, but I still wanted the convenience of recording direct into the computer. So I bought a Torpedo Live. That seemed to do the trick for a while, but then I started feeling the tonal limitations of the Blackstar.

Finally I caved in and got an Axe FX 2 Mark II.

I'm now in the process of selling the GT-8, the Blackstar HT-100, and the Torpedo Live (shoot me a PM if you're interested in any of these ;) ). The Axe FX replaces ALL of this and I'll never have to worry about trying to find the perfect balance between realistic tube tone and convenience. The Axe solved everything for me and offered more features and options than I didn't even think I needed. For something that does everything and does it well, I think ~$2000 is a very reasonable price. I say buy it and try it like everyone is suggesting. Once you play it, you'll understand.

(This was all over a span of like 8 - 10 years so don't think I threw around all that money so quickly :p)

The tone is there right now. And with the G3 technology coming it will be the best option available on the planet.

Here's my question to you....
Did you apply for a purchase order and do the Fractal background check yet? They like to make sure all the units get good homes. I'd get going on that as it can take a while if any questions pop up.

My huge Mesa rig has been quiet since I got Axe Fx Ultra. Now I have Axe II and not a single blink of the led from the Mesa rig :)
Just download someones presets and tweak from there. Factory presets are very good too. Easy way to start playing with it and this forum is very helpful if you have any questions.
Get it, shoot me if I´m wrong :)

I have never felt a single bit of regret about purchasing mine. Ever.

I absolutely do not care about the amps section in guitar stores anymore. Do. Not. Care. I have every sound I could ever conceive of already. Not "close to" the sounds I want. The sounds I want. 100%.

I have owned my Axe-Fx for several years now and every time I have found myself in a situation where I ended up using a tube amp while playing out somewhere, I have never once thought "I'd rather have this" or even thought "I'd like to own this in addition to my Axe-Fx." I just haven't. The Axe-Fx gives me every sound I can dream up, and I can duplicate just about any tone I hear.

Also, every update feels like Christmas and the community is second to none. Not to mention the fact that the forums regularly have the ear of the company founder and lead firmware developer.

I honestly can't think of a single negative thing to say about this company or products.

(Ok so I just read this post back to myself and thought it relevant to mention that I am in no way affiliated with Fractal Audio other than being a paying customer, lol)

I don't think the Axe is a magical, miracle box that will transform your guitar tone into something heretofore unimaginable, but it really is a great unit. Guitar players tend to employ a bit too much hyperbole and cult-like praise to certain pieces of gear ;-) But I will say, my current rig is the best setup I've ever run so far and I've been very happy with the Axe FX. While the unit may seem complex at first, at least in my case it's allowed me to greatly simply my rig by just letting one box take care of it all. That in turn has really cleaned up the audio path and given me a more portable and reliable rig.

It's also saved me a lot of money in the long run. While it seems like a lot of cash to plop down, it's saved me from swapping around so much gear. When I get the urge to try different amps, distortion pedals, pre-amps, etc. I can satisfy that urge with some tweaking around in the Axe. The bottom line is, it really does sound good, and it keeps me from thinking I "must" try this or that other amp/pedal/etc. in the elusive tone-chase.

Also, once you eventually start getting deeper into the amp blocks, you realize you're customizing and fine-tuning your sound in a way you never could with a traditional amp. It's like a magical, miracle box!!

Last edited:
I don't think the Axe is a magical, miracle box that will transform your guitar tone into something heretofore unimaginable, but it really is a great unit. Guitar players tend to employ a bit too much hyperbole and cult-like praise to certain piece of gear ;-) But I will say, my current rig is the best setup I've every run so far and I've been very happy with the Axe FX. While the unit may seem complex at first, at least in my case it's allowed me to greatly simply my rig by just letting one box take care of it all. That in turn has had really cleaned up the audio path and given me a more portable and reliable rig.

It's also saved me a lot of money in the long run. While it seems like a lot of cash to plop down, it's saved me from swapping around so much gear. When I get the urge to try different amps, distortion pedals, pre-amps, etc. I can satisfy that urge with some tweaking around in the Axe. The bottom line is, it really does sound good, and it keeps me from thinking I "must" try this or that other amp/pedal/etc. in the elusive tone-chase.

Also, once you eventually start getting deeper into the amp blocks, you realize you're customizing and fine-tuning your sound in a way you never could with a traditional amp. It's like a magical, miracle box!!

Exactly.

Lol no way are you serious? Its like adopting a child!
The tone is there right now. And with the G3 technology coming it will be the best option available on the planet.

Here's my question to you....
Did you apply for a purchase order and do the Fractal background check yet? They like to make sure all the units get good homes. I'd get going on that as it can take a while if any questions pop up.

Last edited:
Lol no way are you serious? Its like adopting a child!

You should probably go over some of the sample test questions while you're at it. Supposedly each practice test will improve your overall score on the real one.

Goodness, well you guys all seem super convinced.... After reading through all that I do feel a little bit better about the leap of faith I am about to take.
Thanks for taking a look guys, its definitely appreciate it! Looks like i'll be ordering one this weekend afte all.

I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase! The forum here is the best forum I've ever participated in. People are very helpful, and it's very active. I live in the US and can post a question at 2am and chances are, somebody on the other side of the world will be on and get me answers. I've had support contact me at 2am on a Sunday via email!
As far as the leap of faith, I've never spent better money. Cliff, Matt and the whole FAS team have been constantly working to improve things. I started on FW5 with Axe II and we are about to get FW18! All for free! That's dedication! Cliff and team are on the forum a lot, answering questions and adding features based on feedback from forum. Not many (any ?) companies do that.

All this would mean nothing if the tone wasn't truly inspiring.....IT IS !! I've never had better or more consistent tone and I've been playing and chasing tone for 35 years.

There is a learning curve, but coming from the 11r and using ir's puts you ahead of the game.

With the 11, how are you monitoring on stage? Using FRFR cab or power amp and cab?

Good luck and let us know what you think. Forum is here for help if you need it.
I'd also check out Axefxtutorials.com.
It's run by Chris@Katsukari.com here on the forum. Genuinely a nice guy with great videos, live chat etc. he's got a real knack for explaining things and will have you up and running in no time!
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showthread.php?t=95298

Sent from my iPhone

DON'T FORGET TO SIGN YOUR FORM. Forms without signatures will not be evaluated.

(not really… I'm just going with the gag. You may need to submit an alternate ID, though.)

Back
Top Bottom