Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is huge news. The test results in vitro are amazing but I believe that this is one of those times where it will translate well to in vivo.
FYI, hydroxychloroquine also has promising results in vitro. For both these treatments, experts say it is too soon to tell how it works before clinical trials are done.

[/QUOTE]
This is probably the first time you are witnessing how a drug is put into circulation, as are so many millions waiting for a miracle to end this.
No one is denying anything, they are waiting for proof while simultaneously administering this therapy to those who are critically ill.

Large scale use cannot depend on a good feeling with references to random news articles.

Right, I gotcha, and I'm happy for your friend, and for you and everyone else who loves him.

Still, asked the question of Cliff in the way that I did, not so much to ask about the treatment and the anecdotal evidence in favor of it, but to get an answer about his difference in reaction. (Anecdotes on hydroxychloroquine are beginning to pile up, but as they say, "data" is not the plural of "anecdote," at least not unless your anecdotes happen to be randomized and set side-by-side with a similarly-randomized control group!)

See, Cliff's an engineer, and engineers think a certain way. It doesn't necessarily follow that their emotional reactions always track perfectly with what the data is saying they should be -- engineers are human after all -- but clear-headed engineers try to follow the evidence where it leads, and change their minds as new evidence comes to light.

The evidence for Ivermectin is a study, and while I'm not well-informed enough to know if the study has any design flaws, I'm guessing Cliff wouldn't have responded so positively to a single study, if it had anything glaringly wrong with it.

If the evidence for hydroxychloroquine were nothing-but-anecdotes, then I can imagine Cliff saying to himself, "I'm not going to allow myself to feel hope on the basis of hydroxychloroquine until I see at least one real study." But there have now been three or four studies, and unless they're all equally badly-designed (in ways Cliff's already aware of), I don't see why the lack of a study would still cause Cliff to hold aloof.

Anyway, Cliff's smart and we all respect him, and it seems churlish to talk about Cliff in third-person when he's here and able to answer for himself. I want to let him do that.

So, again: happy for your friend! ...but I do hope Cliff will let us know what, for him, distinguishes between the ability of an Ivermectin study to provide hope, and the inability of the studies of hydroxychloroquine thus far to similarly provide hope.

I agree, I'd like to hear his input as well.

Another interesting article.

The mystery of why the coronavirus kills some young people

“So, what could be behind it? Scientists and researchers wonder if the answer could lie in our genes and are beginning to try and understand what differentiates people who get mild cases from those who die.

One possibility is a gene variation in the ACE2 gene. ACE2 is an enzyme that that attaches to the outer surface of cells in the lungs, as well as the heart. In an article in Science magazine, Immunologist Dr. Philip Murphy of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that "variations in the ACE2 gene that alter the receptor could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into lung cells."”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/young-people-dying-coronavirus-sanjay-gupta/index.html

I learned COBOL in college. One of my professors chaired the ANSI COBOL committee at one time. My first project when I got a real job was as a contractor to the Defense Logistics Agency. They handed me 50,000 lines of COBOL and gave me 2 hours to try the system for real and told me I had a little over a month and a half to get a full functioning prototype running using Oracle on OS/2.

Those COBOL folks made COIN in the years leading up to Y2K. Most places (Banks in particular) had NO idea what was in that code that had been sitting around for years...zero documentation, millions of lines.

Those COBOL folks made COIN in the years leading up to Y2K. Most places (Banks in particular) had NO idea what was in that code that had been sitting around for years...zero documentation, millions of lines.
As mass worldwide mitigations go, that went pretty well, relatively few meltdowns and catastrophes from where I stood. The thing needed to be done, and they did the thing

I learned COBOL in college. One of my professors chaired the ANSI COBOL committee at one time. My first project when I got a real job was as a contractor to the Defense Logistics Agency. They handed me 50,000 lines of COBOL and gave me 2 hours to try the system for real and told me I had a little over a month and a half to get a full functioning prototype running using Oracle on OS/2.

COBOL was the last half credit I needed for my B.Sc. I walked into the lecture hall and the professor that was standing at the front was an absolute whackadoodle! I had him as a prof., twice before. He had been disciplined so many times for inappropriate comments, racist comments, you name it. The guy was nuts.

The second time I had him, the university hired a professor emeritus to keep an eye on him and report back to the dean. It’s the only reason I didn’t drop the course. Of course, he kind of behaved...he would say ‘normally I would say this, but with professor <name> sitting in the class, I can’t say that.” He had tenure, not sure why, so there wasn’t much they could do, unless they had definitive proof.

So back to the COBOL course. As that first class ended, I walked down to the office of the head of the comp. sci. department. I told the prof., COBOL is the only half credit I need for my degree and I’m not sitting...’, he cuts me off and says, ‘say no more, congratulations, you just graduated!’ I looked at him and said, ‘thanks, see you at grad.!’ Lol

I've been talking about this point for a while now. This might be the key to fight this pandemic. The reality is this situation won't end until we develop herd immunity through either a vaccine or 70% of the population is infected. Chances are each one of us is going to get infected anyway. In the absence of a progress on a vaccine could we not design a low dose exposure. It might be the lesser of two evils.
From what I've read about it (which does not mean it's right but I try pick my sources carefully and cross-verify) - herd immunity is not always a given or assured. Some times the immunity we get through exposure decreases over time and we are able to get re-infected. I've not heard about any definite conclusions yet on how long lasting a typical immunity acquired from getting infected and resolving would actually be in the case of covid19.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...ue-to-stagnant-water-and-Covid-19-confinement

The French are adding more chlorine into thier water.. because less water is being used and becoming stagnant within the waterlines.

Gets me wondering about sanitation.
Sanitary goes through a process of purification before its discharged. Then its discharged...sometimes onto a golf course, sometimes back into a stream or body of water.. and sometimes recycled back into the water system. I think you know where I'm going with this.
Er...not really. Yes it's normal to add chlorine if there is a risk of stagnating in the distribution network

Sorry no facts! You get emails from China vendors saying Back In biz then receiving personal calls from same vendors saying complete opposite. Probably not until June I’s frightening. Lying to us. Province/ state telling put it out. They say still can’t go in and people still dying. It’s all bs. Want order to still come in with level of confidence . Whom to believe, place 300,000 dollar other and people want
to e giubhbyi ttmmtrcr as dgg tv
people

Ehh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom