Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I were just talking about this. Self-distancing is going to become the norm
for many. Especially us older folk.

Yes. And hopefully, also the use o masks. Here in Thailand (and other Asian countries) many people has been using masks since long time ago (probably after the H1N1 ans SARS outbreaks) at the minimum sign of getting a cold. Even when they are healthy and they go to the public transportation or a crowded place.

The use of masks has been stigmatized in many western countries. Asian people wearing masks has been insulted and even beaten. Let's hope that this will change now.

At this poster at a Chinese grocery store in Madrid (end of February) the owners are apologizing for using masks. It explains that they wear them to protect all the population, because one can be contagious even without symptoms. They put that poster to avoid scaring the customers when they see the Chinese staff wearing masks.

Cartel-explica-mascarilla-locales-chinos_EDIIMA20200312_1002_5.jpg

For those that can read Spanish, this article is interesting because it explains how the Chinese population in Madrid was upset when Spanish people was not taking the warnings about coronavirus seriously.

Last edited:
They talked about the psychology of the masks here in the US.. not widely discussed, but it's been promoted.
In China, you wear a mask to symbolize the unity amongst eachother... working together to limit the risk. You care about them,and they care about you.. by wearing masks... and people are ridiculed for not participating.. it immediately identifies people who are not caring about others

Pretty grim statistics today. We'll probably hit 1M cases worldwide in a day or two. By the end of April there will be 10M cases and 1.5M deaths if things don't change drastically.

Harvard has published a study on the Lessons Learnt from Italy's response to Coronavirus.

Basically, they point:
1. Bad luck. It was assumed that some elements were under control. (I would call it negligence)
2. Skepticism. Not listening the experts
3. Partial solutions. Restrictions were extended as the virus was already spreading; too late
4. Different approaches between different regions
5. Lack of comparable data

Unfortunately, they forget to mention one of the most important factors: the dismantling and privatization of the Public Health System. It seems like these Harvard academics have no clue about what is a Public Health System, so they didn't even thought about that critical factor.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/lessons-from-italys-response-to-coronavirus

Dr.s Birx and Fauci have really become a great communication team. They compliment each other really well
and based on the briefing today, you can tell that the president is finally listening with full attention.
He seemed honestly shaken by the news he was having to drop on everyone.

The latest survivor of the 9th Company (La Nueve), the first division of Spanish Republican Soldiers that entered Paris after the liberation from the Nazi occupation, has passed away due to Coronavirus. He was 99 years old.

Rafael Gómez Nieto was a soldier since the age of 14. He fighted against Franco at the Spanish Civil War. He run to France where he was made prisoner. He escaped to Argelia where he was recruited by the French Army. He campaigned against the Nazis at the UK and he disembarked in France in 1944 under the command of the US General George Patton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Gómez_Nieto

Rafael Gómez Nieto.png
A whole generation is disappearing very fast
They could make a movie or a whole series about his life.

Last edited:
India is a real wild card though. Surprisingly low numbers so far with 1.36 billion people.

India is a mostly poor country. I’m guessing with that many people, mostly poor, they’re doing very little testing. I saw disturbing video today of authorities spraying chemical disinfectant on people.

Pretty grim statistics today. We'll probably hit 1M cases worldwide in a day or two. By the end of April there will be 10M cases and 1.5M deaths if things don't change drastically.

I have read there is a huge backlog of tests that have not come back, so I suspect this is true for the 1M cases.

Don't agree with the 1.5M deaths (end of April.) People are finally starting to 'get it', and the social distancing is working. We'll still see an alarming rise in cases as tests come in, but I believe it will start to level out.

R

India is a mostly poor country. I’m guessing with that many people, mostly poor, they’re doing very little testing. I saw disturbing video today of authorities spraying chemical disinfectant on people.

Like Russia and a few other countries...they either aren't testing in large numbers or are not reporting correctly (likely both)

My daughters asked me about this. They asked why India did a lockdown with so few cases. I responded that it's the absolute best thing to do. After all the evidence that shows this spreads like wildfire, they figured to get ahead of the curve and shut it all down right away. Smart move. We'll see if it works.

R

Sadly, after watching this video, assuming there are a large number of asymptotic carriers, the numbers in India are going to be incomprehensible.

Working from home, having a cushion of money for emergencies, running water, food and shelter is a privilege that a large majority of India doesn’t have. Social distancing is unfortunately the last thing on their mind when the country shuts down. It was done with no foresight and preparation. What works in one country can’t just be copied over to another.

Working from home, having a cushion of money for emergencies, running water, food and shelter is a privilege that a large majority of India doesn’t have. Social distancing is unfortunately the last thing on their mind when the country shuts down. It was done with no foresight and preparation. What works in one country can’t just be copied over to another.

I teach international students from India, have been for about 6 years now. It’s incredible what the majority of these kids have been through and what they have had to do for a chance at a better life.

15% death rate? Even Italy is only 12% (and their cases are probably much higher). Are you weighting places like India & Indo heavily, or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom