Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost every projection shows more than 1M infected.. it’s going to happen next week. No need to wait for that day to stop comparing it to the flu. 🙄
I mean 1M in the US. Looks like it’ll happen in about 4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GlennO - Here's your model of competence re: travels bans to combat disease during the last administration. DAMN good thing that guy is no longer there or things here would be vastly worse than they are today! A sampling:

What works is focusing on and isolating the sick and those in direct contact with them as they are at highest risk of infection. This strategy worked with SARS and it worked during the H1N1 flu pandemic. Casting too wide a net, such as invoking travel bans, would only provide an illusion of security and would lead to prejudice and stigma ....

First, the chief of the CDC is absolutely a political appointment of the current administration.
I don't have any opinion on the Hurricane Dorian thing.

But as to the director of CDC being a political appointment: That's normally the case. The only exception in recent years is careerist Anne Schuchat, who twice had to be a transitional figure, first to Brenda Fitzgerald, and then after the scandal broke (her investment portfolio had included a tobacco company in it, which looks bad for CDC), she resigned and Schuchat had to come back in until Bob Redfield. Prior to that, Gerberding was the other long-time CDC fixture who became Director, but was not reappointed and was replaced with, yes, a political appointment.

But none of that is terribly relevant to the current crisis, because you're talking about the Director, when you should be talking about deputy-director-level things. What the director would be doing, in this case, is ensuring that EIS has everything it needs and that PHS has a competent deputy who's doing their job with the Infectious Diseases team. Every administration brings in someone who's a decent organizational administrator, who has enough public-health or virology experience to not look like a John Sculley, and the reason they change when the administrations change is because each administration is trying avoid being sandbagged by a political foe. That's SOP at CDC, just like it is at IRS, HHS, State, and everywhere else.

Trump pills? Like he had anything to do with it. What a joke.

I see your point but I can understand the sentiment.
That ridiculous tweet about TV ratings this morning was 'thumbs up'd' by over 60K people.

Bet you 5-10K of them would pop a few of them pills if they had them just based on some of those tweets.

That ridiculous post about TV ratings this morning was 'thumbs up'd' by over 60K people.
Bet you 5-10K of them would pop a few of them pills if they had them.
I thought I was up-to-date on important matters, but I missed this Twitter thing about TV ratings. What's the deal?

(I try not to pay much attention to Twitter; I view it as a weaponized disinformation platform, and yes, I mean that entirely literally. I don't think much meaningful can be said in less than five paragraphs, anyway. But...given how I post around here, I guess that's already obvious.... :flushed:)

So... In belgium first signs of 'flattening the curve' are showing.

Here s what i will do
*Keep washing my hands and face often
*isolating as much as possible (i live in a city and still have to go to work sometimes, if not possible from home)
*keep voting in a way that i think will benefit everyone the most
*trying to remain reading the conspiracy theories or 'us against them' philosophies with a bit of humour
*keep rediscovering the ultra 👍 (axe 2 is out of reach now)

...but they Are saying 200k is a good number.
Here in the uk they say 20k will be low number. When this all started they were game planning for 500,000 by doing nothing and then 250,000 with social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom