Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks things aren't that bad should look at today's statistics:
60K+ new cases. 2800 new deaths.

The rate of growth is not slowing. Increasing by an order of magnitude every 8 days. By the end of April there will be over 500M cases and 25M dead.
Your estimate is worldwide, yes?

Thanks for posting that!
The more I think about it, the more I’m incensed by that Oxford study and that Gupta lady who got quoted in articles. It's plainly wrong yet she continued to promote it. It's utterly irresponsible and inept, and people are going to die cus of it.

I will mention (again) that we are in the early times of testing. Many people are turned away from being tested as not considered 'at risk'. As more testing rolls out, we will continue to see significant jumps in positives.

Any rose colored glasses views on leveling the curve is wildly incorrect. It's not happening yet. it won't for a while. The data shows us that.

Here in the US we do not have the health infrastructure that South Korea has, or the social control that China has to be able to lock down areas. We are a different animal. This will continue to spread.

I'm not trying for apocalyptic, but we are far from the bottom here. We just need to be prepared that news will not be 'good' for quite a while.

And I just don't understand the stock market. Why this exuberance over a stimulus package is beyond me. Most of those people who get those checks are paying bills and buying twinkies...not buying yoga pants.

R

I don’t understand what further proof the US government needs to get all hands on deck. Every enterprise, public or private needs to work towards making PPE, increasing hospital capacity (ventilators, real estate, beds), increasing and organizing testing and keeping food/essentials in the supply chain.
And we desperately need a team of experts in charge so that all this is coordinated and directed based on facts and not “a good feeling”.

And I just don't understand the stock market. Why this exuberance over a stimulus package is beyond me. Most of those people who get those checks are paying bills and buying twinkies...not buying yoga pants.
I imagine it's more the “it’s going to be over soon” message building up in the last few days from the Oxford study, Stanford Nobel laureate, misreporting that said the Imperial College model did an "oops I was wrong," etc.

I will mention (again) that we are in the early times of testing. Many people are turned away from being tested as not considered 'at risk'. As more testing rolls out, we will continue to see significant jumps in positives.

Any rose colored glasses views on leveling the curve is wildly incorrect. It's not happening yet. it won't for a while. The data shows us that.

Here in the US we do not have the health infrastructure that South Korea has, or the social control that China has to be able to lock down areas. We are a different animal. This will continue to spread.

I'm not trying for apocalyptic, but we are far from the bottom here. We just need to be prepared that news will not be 'good' for quite a while.

R

Corporate America is getting effectively four trillion dollars coming their way so everyone on Wall Street has a huge boner over it. Yet again more bailouts for irresponsible companies. We haven't learned a goddamn thing since the 08 crash.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ess/economy/fed-coronavirus-stimulus.amp.html

If you are presently a live performer, maybe you should set up a green screen and perform online, your choice how you frame it, but a charity drive for much needed supplies might help.

People who are presently writing or recording with others have it a little harder. Everyone has to get equipped with software and plugins, and use headphones and mic., and i haven't thought about how the DAW editing would go - i guess you could use something like 'zoom' to give control of your DAW to anyone in the meeting, so that collaborators could all access and edit the work. I'd like to be able to mix and edit as usual - when we are collaborating anyone can edit something rather than try to explain the edit. Anyone doing something like this?

The rate of growth is not slowing. Increasing by an order of magnitude every 8 days. By the end of April there will be over 500M cases and 25M dead.
I'll take that bet. I bet deaths won't be a quarter of that, at least in the US (in relative terms).
The rates are rising due to increased testing. The numbers are skewed by the fact that it was probably much more numerous months ago, and wasn't known to be - it's both more contagious and less deadly than previously thought.

Here in Australia we've had mass testing (most in the world per capita, IIRC) and that has revealed it's simply much less deadly than first thought. Even Imperial College is revising their estimates down from 500k deaths to 20k deaths.

I was just watching Seth Myers' Late Night band, and it looked like they were all playing live, each in their own home? How does that work?

I can only hope you are wrong

...all hands on deck. Every enterprise, public or private needs to work towards making PPE, increasing hospital capacity (ventilators, real estate, beds), increasing and organizing testing and keeping food/essentials in the supply chain.
I bet quilting groups are rallying to make masks. A hairdresser at the salon I (went to) did tailoring on the side. Now it’s masks 12 hours a day, which kicks ass IMO. If a single out of work person can do that, what can thousands and thousands of enterprises do? People talk about how capitalism is so much more efficient, agile and effective than government - well, step up!

If you are presently a live performer, maybe you should set up a green screen and perform online, your choice how you frame it, but a charity drive for much needed supplies might help.

People who are presently writing or recording with others have it a little harder. Everyone has to get equipped with software and plugins, and use headphones and mic., and i haven't thought about how the DAW editing would go - i guess you could use something like 'zoom' to give control of your DAW to anyone in the meeting, so that collaborators could all access and edit the work. I'd like to be able to mix and edit as usual - when we are collaborating anyone can edit something rather than try to explain the edit. Anyone doing something like this?
I made a thread about it, but no one has yet to add any content on software, gear, best practices etc. for how to produce a quality live-streaming performance. Here’s the thread.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/livestreaming-lets-talk-tech.159624/

Even the grandpa of free capitalism, Adam Smith, defined the role of the state the way, that it has at least to protect against enemies from the outside or the inside. Getting the troups in to help isn't deemed communsim then, right?

The entitlement of people to do as they please will be the downfall of life as we know it.
If everyone jumped on board and was isolated for30 days as of a certain date, should have been a month ago.
but even start today, things could be much different.
But telling people anything, there are 4 or more conspiracy theories to cloud the facts.
CR is now entering the 2nd week where a majority of the country is shut down.
i must say the solidarity is strong here. This country rely's on tourism as its main source of income after pineapple and other fruit. People are realizing there is going to be a significant change here for many years.
then of course there others that think we'll be good in a couple months. 😬
I cant help but feel the US will not be the deciding factor in dictating the economy soon.
not trying to go political, but looking to “leaders” for the answer is the last thing now.

a camping area an hour drive from here was reported to be swarmed with people from new York running from the craziness. i'm not sure how they think that could help their situation? public bathrooms and showers, no hospitals and limited food and supply outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom