Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a leader and leadership if not someone who spurs a people to an action? Words matter.
I grew up in an ethnic melting pot comprised of Italians, Russians, Czech's, Slovaks, Polish, "Hoopies", caucasion's, and blacks... If you were at any of those gatherings, as I was while growing up, you clearly wouldn't make it... no one was hyper sensitive, ethnic slurs were thrown around, and no one was "offended" by it. I remember Spencer Gift's used to sell the following:

Official Italian Joke Book
Official Polish Joke Book
Official Irish Joke Book
Official Polish Revolver (revolver with barrel pointed backwards towards user), virginity restorer (a stick with a cherry attached), etc.

Am I saying it's OK? No, I am not. I'm saying people weren't so damned uptight and to be truly "offended" WAS a big deal back in the day.

The ONLY power words have is what you give them

The problem is putting too much faith in your "leaders". Most of our so-called superiors are simply in it for themselves. Think for yourself. Get the facts and make your own decisions as much as possible within the system. By the time the government has figured out what to do it's too late and it revolves around protecting/rewarding those with a vested interest. They don't care about you.

For example:

Senators Accused Of Insider Trading, Dumping Stocks After Coronavirus Briefing

Rep. Don Young tells Alaska seniors ‘beer virus’ fears are overblown, skips vote on COVID-19 relief

Am I saying it's OK? No, I am not. I'm saying people weren't so damned uptight and to be truly "offended" WAS a big deal back in the day.
Both you and @NeoSound mistake a desire to improve with offense. These are not related in the least. I can hold myself, and leaders, to a higher standard, introspect and criticize without being stymied by some sort of base response that renders me unable to deal with the world.

It most certainly isn't what you seem to think it is, based on reading both of your replies.

I expect the world to improve in many ways; language is but one way. We'll set a high bar, fail to reach it, but do great things in trying to get there for society. That is what I expect.

Not once have I expressed offense in my posts. Only critique and a call for improvement in how We communicate.

The ONLY power words have is what you give them
This is quite demonstrably false.

Last edited:
Shining examples of our elected officials, ignorant and corrupt.

There is some awesome irony in an 86 year old Representative telling fellow high-risk constituents that there's nothing to fear from the "beer virus".

And the amazing responsible behavior demonstrated by Senator Paul (who is an MD) by going to the gym and continuing other activities while waiting for his COVID-19 test results to come back. I guess he forgot about the "do no harm" aspect of that Hippocratic Oath he took.

Really?
You think the Patriots are funding the purchase of test kits, masks and respirators?
Plenty of money in Massachusetts.. they had a top notch expensive team.

Supplies will come to everyone... and hopefully soon.

Paces like California, Washington, New York.. would be first priority? The worst places with the most demand would bid themselves within priority.. especially since most everything will eventually be reimbursed... the money's comming from the same source.

"The only power words have is what YOU give them..."
This is quite demonstrably false.

Really? So if you were to call me (insert any ______phobe, or Racist label), and I don't react or I laugh at you because I know it's almost always a knee-jerk reaction, that makes it true? No. It means I give you zero power. Even if true, and I don't react, it still gives you zero power.

So how is it false?

Not really interested in starting a war on semantics, there are far more pressing issues at stake, I just find it amusing people allow themselves to be controlled (often extremely emotionally) by words.

Peace.

Paces like California, Washington, New York.. would be first priority? The worst places with the most demand would bid themselves within priority.. especially since most everything will eventually be reimbursed... the money's comming from the same source.
This makes little sense. If there's reimbursement coming from the Federal government for these expenses, having the pricing of the supplies subject to bidding wars is bananas inefficient. If I'm going to get 100% of the funds back, I'll just bid X+$1 every time to ensure the supplies go my state.

If the Feds are covering the bill, the Feds should either set the price or provide the supply. The current setup just leads to hyperinflation on critically necessary medical supplies.

I may be misunderstanding how this works in the USA, but how is this not just profit inflation in a time of need for suppliers?

"The only power words have is what YOU give them..."

Really? So if you were to call me (insert any ______phobe, or Racist label), and I don't react or I laugh at you because I know it's almost always a knee-jerk reaction, that makes it true? No. It means I give you zero power. Even if true, and I don't react, it still gives you zero power.

So how is it false?

Not really interested in starting a war on semantics, there are far more pressing issues at stake, I just find it amusing people allow themselves to be controlled (often extremely emotionally) by words.

Peace.
I'll give you a perfect example of how words impact you whether you react to them or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_States -- those words dictate an immense amount about your life whether you chose to respond to them or not.

They say men have double the mortality rate of women... they don't know why. Why would a virus care? They will understand why eventually. Could man design a virus that selective? I figured a virus wouldn't be designed to kill everyone... but more to misdirect and deplete resources and decrease a countries wealth.... but if its kills men... then I have underestimated bio warfare. We haven't figured out everything yet, but I'm sure they are investigating all possiblities.

I am concerned that is a RNA virus. We already have more than 1 strain of covid19. Upon increased sampling, they are noticing already mutations.... which is what RNA genomes specializes in. it could be designed to thrive in the male body.. off testosterone.. or something less apparent.

With two bio warfare facilities in Wuhan... and initial explanation to residents of Wuhan that US was involved... probably indicates it is a bio warfare virus.. and a breach of containment.

The fact that it made it to Iran as the second epicenter.. is probably an act bio warfare. facilitating an event.

Pretty wild the Wuhan whistle blower was able to encrypt a message that is able to sneak through a communication ban via Ethereum. To help us understand what mistakes they made early, and to help us... we weren't supposed to receive that information... which is really bad. That's not the act of anyone you could build a relationship with. Theres going to be a huge stigmatism when this is done.. and more countries are going to produce more things at home. Which would be great
Instead of writing such nonsense, not measurable by common standards; inform yourself
https://academic.oup.com/ilarjournal/article/58/3/343/4107390. Have a nice day. Pfffff.....

Just for comparison, below is a picture of Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. At full capacity, it holds 68,400 people.
848E4EA1-A366-4AE0-972F-096FC23E330C.jpeg
According to the CDC, there are currently 33,494 cases of COVID-19 in the United States, which is less than half of the capacity of Heinz Field.

These maps with the scary red blobs are very misleading.
5F03AD85-3B38-442B-97F1-5016A5ECFD7B.jpeg

In addition, the CDC reports that there have been about 400 deaths in the United States from COVID-19 as of today.

In comparison, there have been over 23,000 deaths from the flu this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom