Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it's Sunday it's time for my coming week predictions. [...] There will be over 500K cases [..]
Sounds like we're already above 337,000 cases, and doubling quicker than every week.
I wouldn't be that surprised, as testing continues to ramp up, that we don't ht 1mil by end of March or in the first few days of April.

I wish we could be closer to your earlier predictions

I don’t understand why the media feels the need to let us know when celebrities test positive for the virus. Most of these celebrities can afford the best healthcare available while the poor and elderly are dying on the streets and in rest homes.

because our society as a whole is fixated on celebrity.

Way to lead by example Dr. Paul.

Well, at least he's asymptomatic, and he's not in the epicenter of infection. But he's not the only one, nor is he the worst offender IMO. Bill fucking De Blasio was dragging his staff all over NY and visiting a gym 2 days ago, well after it was clear NY was going to get screwed. I've read some reports of people ignoring social distancing advice and congregating in public places etc to this day. What do you know, turns out that 'burbs might not be so bad after all, at least from the epidemiological standpoint.

On a more positive note, WA seems to have to put some sort of a lid on its part of the problem: the past few days saw steady (rather than accelerating) and relatively modest growth in terms of cases, which is encouraging especially considering that testing was also dramatically ramped up. Even in the absence of additional infection, I'd expect ramp up in testing to result in a significant increase in terms of the number of cases.

It's super frustrating that daily stats by state are not available. I have to go to archive.org to figure out the daily case growth in my state, which is, IMO, retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each state, yes, but there doesn't seem to be a graph of new cases per day for each state, anywhere. That'd be the graph which would indicate if containment efforts in that state are anywhere near effective and whether the state will be able to cope with demand for hospital beds. If the rate of infection is constant, and rate of discharge is reasonably low and constant (or decreasing), you have a manageable situation. Or at least I could not find such a graph. You can get it on per-country level, but epidemiologically the US is going to behave as 50 smaller states under the currently implemented measures, and I want to see this info for my state (WA) which implemented distancing measures earlier and more thoroughly (it looks like) than NY.

I have it on good authority that You do have a choice. We all do. A person can choose to constantly dwell on the horror of this thing - and this thing isn't even out of the gate yet; or learn to live with this thing as best they can.

...One thing is for sure. If anybody got past page three not sure how serious this thing is, then Darwin himself explaining it to them isn’t ever gonna make one bit of difference.

The rest, the other 80+++ pages, this constant updating each other on the tabloid horror of it? The horrific speculation, the conspiracies, the “today xxx people died of it!! ...and here’s a pie-chart to better indicate that!!“ ..all that ??? ...Well. ..yeah, okay, a person can choose to spend their time in such a fashion for the sheer entertainment of it, I suppose.

...if a person is in the mood to take a break at all..

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/folding-at-home-worlds-top-supercomputers-coronavirus-covid-19

Kinda important to remember... the vast majority of people are Not going to die from this thing. The Vast majority.

..Considering the mental health angle regarding actually living with this thing in a realistic fashion over time, while you’re in any-shape still north of soil, a person might wish to keep that little factual nugget in mind. :0)

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

...there are many positive stories - stories of hope and/or improvement out there regarding this thing. These items of news are not hard to find.

I know that this thing is a real shit-show. I know that. But I also know that there is an unnecessary - not ‘realistic’ - an ‘unnecessary’ amount of panic that is being driven in large part by politics, poor information, and advertising market-share.

You want context to the “death and dying bit” ? ...okay.. here ya go!

https://www.worldometers.info/

...But if you are concerned at all about this one particular thing, get realistic with it..

To live with this thing. Assume you’ll catch it. Assume - along with the VAST majority, that you’ll survive it. ...And either-way, plan for every eventuality; mainly because if this thing doesn’t get you, something else will.

But don’t dwell on the dying ‘bit’. That dying bit comes to us all. Don’t dwell on the destruction of it. We can, all of us, rebuild.

For the moment, be realistic, and put your efforts in seeking real and useful information. Come to terms with that information. Make your peace with it. Put effort only in real precautions.

But don’t dwell, add, or feed into the insanity of it. That isn’t living with this thing. That isn’t living at all.

...all this effort - the bandying around the death and dying aspect, the fear, the outrage. Is there nothing better to expend that level of energy on in regards to this thing?

A person can choose to spend their time any-way they wish. Up to you. But ask yourself: Does it serve your higher purpose? Or is it just wasted time and energy. ..Is the time you are spending speculating negatively on this thing productive? Or is it not?

I do, I wish you all the best with this thing.

...But try not to forget you are alive, and even in the absence of this thing, your future is never certain.

Just like every-other-day, You survive it by being smart, by being vigilant. We try to help others when we can. And we put one foot in front of the other to get through the tough times.

Take care of yourselves. ....wading through some of the blood being surfed on in this thread - you deserve better than what you are doing to each other, here.

China instituted its lockdown when there were only 25 deaths in the country. They've pretty much stopped the spread and ended up with about 3200 dead. [...] Unless they match what China did there will be over 100K dead within a month. Bunch of idiots.

I wouldn't trust a thing China says. They were lying to the WHO in January, they were destroying evidence and samples and research in December.

They expelled American journalists days before beginning to announce they had stopped having new cases.

Don't trust a peep from the CCP.

Speaking of those videos from Italy where old folks are sitting up with "spacesuit" things on their heads. Turns out those are the "easy" cases. The "difficult" cases are much worse than that. I've read the protocol for ARDS treatment, and the "hard" patients have to be positioned prone, and sedated, and their breathing muscles are sometimes artificially paralyzed so that they do not "fight" the ventilator if it seems to them they're not getting enough air. It ain't pretty. You most certainly don't want to end up like that. This is actually something fairly recent - the protocol was defined in 2010. It is possible that it's not actually used worldwide yet - latest and greatest from the US.

We're already at over 400 dead and the government is doing what it does best: politics and incompetence. Unless they match what China did there will be over 100K dead within a month. Bunch of idiots.
Just realized something obvious, govt people are old. They’re going to have a bad time with this. Hold on, they’re still meeting right, wtf?

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

...there are many positive stories - stories of hope and/or improvement out there regarding this thing. These items of news are not hard to find.

I know that this thing is a real shit-show. I know that. But I also know that there is an unnecessary - not ‘realistic’ - an ‘unnecessary’ amount of panic that is being driven in large part by politics, poor information, and advertising market-share.

You want context to the “death and dying bit” ? ...okay.. here ya go!

https://www.worldometers.info/

...But if you are concerned at all about this one particular thing, get realistic with it..

To live with this thing. Assume you’ll catch it. Assume - along with the VAST majority, that you’ll survive it. ...And either-way, plan for every eventuality; mainly because if this thing doesn’t get you, something else will.

But don’t dwell on the dying ‘bit’. That dying bit comes to us all. Don’t dwell on the destruction of it. We can, all of us, rebuild.

For the moment, be realistic, and put your efforts in seeking real and useful information. Come to terms with that information. Make your peace with it. Put effort only in real precautions.

But don’t dwell, add, or feed into the insanity of it. That isn’t living with this thing. That isn’t living at all.

...all this effort - the bandying around the death and dying aspect, the fear, the outrage. Is there nothing better to expend that level of energy on in regards to this thing?

A person can choose to spend their time any-way they wish. Up to you. But ask yourself: Does it serve your higher purpose? Or is it just wasted time and energy. ..Is the time you are spending speculating negatively on this thing productive? Or is it not?

I do, I wish you all the best with this thing.

...But try not to forget you are alive, and even in the absence of this thing, your future is never certain.

Just like every-other-day, You survive it by being smart, by being vigilant. We try to help others when we can. And we put one foot in front of the other to get through the tough times.

Take care of yourselves. ....wading through some of the blood being surfed on in this thread - you deserve better than what you are doing to each other, here.

Agree with everything except the “driven in large part by politics” thing. The only thing that’s been driven by politics is our woeful attempts at denial and misinformation that cost us precious weeks.

Speaking of those videos from Italy where old folks are sitting up with "spacesuit" things on their heads. Turns out those are the "easy" cases. The "difficult" cases are much worse than that. I've read the protocol for ARDS treatment, and the "hard" patients have to be positioned prone, and sedated, and their breathing muscles are sometimes artificially paralyzed so that they do not "fight" the ventilator if it seems to them they're not getting enough air. It ain't pretty. You most certainly don't want to end up like that. This is actually something fairly recent - the protocol was defined in 2010. It is possible that it's not actually used worldwide yet - latest and greatest from the US.
Yes, the treatment for ARDS is to put you on your stomach and reduce the respiration rate from the ventilator. You feel like you are suffocating and people panic and try to remove the tube. So they either induce coma or paralyze you from the neck down. This decreases the fatality rate of those in the ARDS phase by about 50%. It's still pretty high though, 20% IIRC.

This is a form of SARS. Why did China lockdown so quickly when there were only 25 deaths? There are only two possible answers:
1. They were lying about the number of deaths.
2. They knew how deadly this virus is because they created it.

In either case the reason is because the virus is so deadly.

When Chinese are stealing intellectual property involving biological weapons... they might end up being given something they dont understand.. something mislabeled... a gift.

They think they've hired a double agent from Harvard... but ends up being a tripple agent.

They would behave the same way... if was a Chinese made bio weapon or a US bio weapon gone rogue...smuggled in by an espionage ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom