Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many negative comments on "conspiracy types" yet that's all this thread is. Gloom and doom! No one trusts the CDC or government to tell you what's really going on so the whole thread is users doing their own research to try and extrapolate the "real" scenario. This is literally what happens on conspiracy forums! As always the answer is the worst case scenario. Also I will add that I think everyone should question authority and I'm glad you guys are trying to get your own answers but if we are gonna generalize "conspiracy people" then most of you in this thread are now in that group.

My kid and her husband own this place.
zZeLnIh.jpg

Good. They probably saved somebody’s life.

So many negative comments on "conspiracy types" yet that's all this thread is. Gloom and doom! No one trusts the CDC or government to tell you what's really going on so the whole thread is users doing their own research to try and extrapolate the "real" scenario. This is literally what happens on conspiracy forums! As always the answer is the worst case scenario. Also I will add that I think everyone should question authority and I'm glad you guys are trying to get your own answers but if we are gonna generalize "conspiracy people" then most of you in this thread are now in that group.

At the risk of saying something that may run afoul of forum rules, the reason people are not trusting the government is because the people in positions of power and so-called leadership in this country have provably lied to us about this, some have profited from this, and in the daily briefings they continue to say things like “the average American is at low risk”. All you have to do is watch Dr. Fauci’s expressions during these briefings to know we are being fed bullshit.

This was forwarded to me by a relative who's a doctor working in public health, though not directly in combating the virus. Seems to me it's level-headed, fact-based, actionable and, increasingly, being acted on. In spite of the title, it's not just about protecting healthcare workers, though obviously that's an important part of any workable strategy.

(Article is free, all their COVID info is.)

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/keeping-the-coronavirus-from-infecting-health-care-workers

Last edited:
I was just talking with my RN sister about our 14 day self quarantine.
She explained that the whole 14 day thing is for someone who may have come in contact.
If you show no symptoms for 14 days you're good.
She said we should get use to doing what we're doing right now for quite a while.
In her circles they are deadly afraid of a second wave hitting before there's a vaccine.

All you have to do is watch Dr. Fauci’s expressions during these briefings to know we are being fed bullshit.

He has to walk a freaking minefield every day trying to tell us the truth without offending the dude.
I admire him greatly for sticking with his job. It's the biggest stage right now and he knows it.
He should get every medal and honor this country has to hand out for a civilian.

Last edited:
that "data" changed drastically from graph to graph, day to day, report by report - maybe not intentional but definitely just their best guess and I think guesses have caused more problems in this instance. the "data" we were given and the "data" the government has must be two different things
I won't keep posting on this topic after this one. You obviously have different opinions than I do.

But data is not guesses, by definition.

With a moving target like this, data will increase over time making for potentially different statistics.

This chart from worldometer (not updated since late Feb) was the first one I recall seeing with the age breakdown:

D5609738-CFB5-4C36-BAEC-A0FFD5BA2A36.png

I just found this which is US only data as of a 3/16:

https://www.statista.com/chart/2117...atality-rates-for-reported-coronavirus-cases/

This from CDC appears to be very similar:

6C80805E-5E67-4499-BA49-D28ABC9D287E.jpeg

Again, these are not "guesses", they are documented numbers.

And these numbers show clearly that 0-19 age group is mostly not impacted.

Clipped this out of a longer document I received the other day (the rest has nothing to do with COVID-19). Thought you guys might be interested.

Attachments

• CV Appendix.jpg
    CV Appendix.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 17
A very comprehensive article on food safety re COVID:

Generally not a risk, although extra precautions don't hurt:

According to multiple health and safety organizations worldwide, including the CDC, the USDA, and the European Food safety Authority, there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 has spread through food or food packaging. Previous coronavirus epidemics likewise showed no evidence of having been spread through food or packaging.​

Last edited:
Yes, but the data is being compiled from places like China, which a couple of weeks ahead of us, and Europe which is at least a week ahead.
So while the numbers are changing daily, there's enough data already to be able to see trends.

lW5h5On.jpg

148 out of every 1,000 in the 80+ bracket and only 2 per 1,000 for people 39 and younger.
FYI - this data is from February 29th.

Which means it's a cumulative of 2 months of data from all over the world - mostly China and Europe.
For now it's a solid point of reference.
It doesn’t factor in hospitals getting overwhelmed, not every country can build a hospital in a week like China. The number of hospitalizations in the younger population is high too. When it overwhelms the system, those numbers can go up across all age groups.

It doesn’t factor in hospitals getting overwhelmed, not every country can build a hospital in a week like China. The number of hospitalizations in the younger population is high too. When it overwhelms the system, those numbers can go up across all age groups.

Of course. Every new day is a new reality.
I'm just posting where things were as of that day.
This is all baby steps for everyone. Even the smartest
people in the field are answering "I don't know!"

There's so many vacant buildings... in every city, in every town. Why build new hospitals?
Ate you being serious? Can't tell.

Office building aren't hospitals, in many respects. Not to mention that the companies who own or lease those offices will hopefully be back at some point.

I think you're missing the point.

Here are the facts:
1. There is currently no cure for Covid-19 - regardless of age.
2. Anywhere from 40-80% of the population will ultimately be infected - regardless of age.
3. Covid-19 can be carried and transmitted by anyone - regardless of age.
4. Older people are much more prone to die from it than young people.

Anyone only paying attention to #4 needs a couple of hard slaps across the face.
I would add one more very important one.

#5 - Asymptomatic carriers (those who have it with NO symptoms) typically will not know they are infected and can therefore unwittingly infect many.

Here (Canada), we are told to socially distance even if feeling fine

US just rocketed into third place for number of cases with 14K new cases as of this writing.

The incompetence of our government has now turned something that could've been manageable into one of the greatest human tragedies our country has ever known. But at least the banks, hedge funds and large corporations will be taken care of...

Since it's Sunday it's time for my coming week predictions. This week someone famous will die from it. The number of deaths will skyrocket in NY. Military-enforced quarantines and field hospitals will start appearing. There will be over 500K cases and 30K deaths worldwide by the end of the week.

US just rocketed into third place for number of cases with 14K new cases as of this writing.

The incompetence of our government has now turned something that could've been manageable into one of the greatest human tragedies our country has ever known. But at least the banks, hedge funds and large corporations will be taken care of...

Since it's Sunday it's time for my coming week predictions. This week someone famous will die from it. The number of deaths will skyrocket in NY. Military-enforced quarantines and field hospitals will start appearing. There will be over 500K cases and 30K deaths worldwide by the end of the week.

Sounds about right, even a bit optimistic w.r.t global totals. Numbers are surprisingly low in India, that is a can of worms we don’t want opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom