Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This fellow makes the following claims:
  • a sharp ramp-up in chloroquine production is in the works;
  • it can't reverse badly-damaged lungs, so it isn't an insta-cure for folks who're already at death's door; but,
  • for people who haven't reached that stage yet, it's pretty reliable at knocking the virus out

I wouldn't normally post "there's this guy who says such-and-such"; however, he lays it out clearly and plainly and it matches what we're seeing from other sources. (For example, see here: https://www.ibmadison.com/In-Busine...DA-approves-use-of-malaria-drug-for-COVID-19/ )

That was a good read, seems like a positive can-do take on things.

Few questions come to mind,
  • Will the US's "hammer" (suppression) be timely and strict enough, or will we keep flirting with just mitigation?
  • How quickly can we get to the "dance" (maintain R0 <= 1) phase? How quickly can we do what Korea is doing and get massive testing, tracing, isolating, quarantining, etc. going effectively?
Also, the author says in one spot, "The measures [China] took [to suppress] were pretty similar to the ones taken in Italy, Spain or France," but uh, I think China did way more, no?

Last edited:
That was a good read, seems like a positive can-do take on things.

Few questions come to mind,
  • Will the US's "hammer" (suppression) be timely and strict enough, or will we keep flirting with just mitigation?
  • How quickly can we get to the "dance" (maintain R0 <= 1) phase? How quickly can we do what Korea is doing and get massive testing, tracing, isolating, quarantining, etc. going effectively?

it will be tougher in the US than in smaller countries, for sure. So far, across all Countries, I'm seeing people only submitting to social distancing if they're forced to. Looks like common sense, responsibility on a voluntary basis don't seem to work. Like a bunch of little kids.

Well, California is locked down. The whole state, all non-essential services. I had been home 30 minutes when I got the call to come back into work to pack up enough equipment to work from home. At least I'm able to. 2/3 of the workers at my company are hourly, and won't be getting paid. The skilled ones, like the welders and machinists may bail if they can.

So I wonder how crazy shit will get when 20% of the workforce is unemployed for some length of time. That's a lot of civil unrest.

Well, California is locked down. The whole state, all non-essential services. I had been home 30 minutes when I got the call to come back into work to pack up enough equipment to work from home. At least I'm able to. 2/3 of the workers at my company are hourly, and won't be getting paid. The skilled ones, like the welders and machinists may bail if they can.

So I wonder how crazy shit will get when 20% of the workforce is unemployed for some length of time. That's a lot of civil unrest.

Germany are working on a 50 bn Euro package for freelancers, artists and such. The employed will continue to get their normal wages.

New Zealand has green lit a sum of 12 bn NZD. Given there's only 4.8 million of us, that's not too bad.

This fellow makes the following claims:
  • a sharp ramp-up in chloroquine production is in the works;
  • it can't reverse badly-damaged lungs, so it isn't an insta-cure for folks who're already at death's door; but,
  • for people who haven't reached that stage yet, it's pretty reliable at knocking the virus out

I wouldn't normally post "there's this guy who says such-and-such"; however, he lays it out clearly and plainly and it matches what we're seeing from other sources. (For example, see here: https://www.ibmadison.com/In-Busine...DA-approves-use-of-malaria-drug-for-COVID-19/ )

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...med-chloroquine-to-help-covid-19-fight-report

I'm annoyed that in all this turmoil my Folding has been quiet for 3 days.
Yours too, huh? I thought it was my machine, but it's just not downloading any new jobs... my wife has been dealing with some awful sciatica for the last week, so I've been running the show at home with three year old twins, plus working at home, so I haven't had a chance to try and fix it, but I hopefully will get to look into it today during nap time. I want my old desktop box working on beating this protein prick, darn it!

I am located in the east of france, near the town of Mulhouse were all began for us here in france.
I personally hope that i am not infected yet. At least my family and I have no symtoms at all, and we carefully respect the french quarantaine.

I just only can say that the situation is really weird here, with about no place left in hospital, with military plane evacuating people to make place for the new one.
I have currently 4 working colleagues who are on an hospital bed in artificial coma .
and I can guarantee you that they are not 75 years old.

with about 486 infected for 1000 000 people, our situation in alsace is crazy, but nothing to compare with our friends in Italy. I pray for them.

Really guys, take care of yourselves.
We have currently 100 death per day in france, and it will be like in italy about 400 per day in about a week .
Reported to the USA, it means about 2000 death per day .
I really hope it will never occurs ,but i really doubt.

There is really only ONE thing we can all do .
STAY at HOME as much as possible.
If you can work at home (like me), DO IT

Take care

Screenshot Friday.png
The Fractal team is kicking ass! Seriously, thank you for doing what you can! For those checking in, feel free to download Folding@home, and enter team #236174 to join us in helping to solve the protein conformation mysteries of the SARS series viruses, including the current coronavirus.

I have it on good authority that a nationwide shelter-in-place will be announced Sunday night.
Governor of Illinois is going to be announcing that the whole state is going shelter in place- press conference starts half an hour from now. I'm not an economist nor an epidemiologist, but I do understand that the more we do now, the less we suffer later. Let's do this- we're already way behind here in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom