Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people doing here with the N95 masks. They are pretty hard to come by, are you re-using them?
i've been trying to get the ones where you can replace the filters. on order for a month still not showing up. irritating. found some disposable on Amazon and hopefully that gets here soon... supposedly shipped out.

the filters catch viruses, but then it's in there. i would guess i can shoot some disinfectant in there - better than nothing. but yeah, it's in short supply.

i've been trying to get the ones where you can replace the filters. on order for a month still not showing up. irritating. found some disposable on Amazon and hopefully that gets here soon... supposedly shipped out.

the filters catch viruses, but then it's in there. i would guess i can shoot some disinfectant in there - better than nothing. but yeah, it's in short supply.
I just realized, can't you just take it off (making sure not to touch it), put in a plastic bag and re-use in a week?

aren't test kits really after the fact, and measures to isolate things a better way? that are going on now?

No. Testing needs to be ramped up. How do you know when to stop isolating? Also, people that know they are infected are more likely to behave differently and take this more seriously. It’s easy to see the explosion of cases in big cities, but the US is so spread out and infection rates are going to fluctuate. We can handle and disperse what resources we have more effectively if we have actual data. What’s going on right now with promises of everyone able to be tested for free but the reality of barely anybody getting tested is shameful and IMO criminal.

If you go out shopping, the interior of your car should be considered a hotspot too, But My guess is that if you leave your car in the sunlight, the heat inside will kill the virus. Thoughts?
Not needed, although you might as well do that, it doesn't hurt anything. Just let it sit for a day. The virus doesn't survive on the surfaces for very long.

I also wipe down the steering wheel (and stalks), the shifter, and the door handle before I get out as an extra precaution. But I'm in the very epicenter of the thing here in the US. Ground zero if you will.

i doubt heat itself kills the virus. i wouldn't count on that.

latest i've found on how long it survives on surfaces. up to you to decide if you believe it:

here's the latest data i'm seeing, mentioning both SARS-CoV-1 (the first sars) and HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2, the current issue). Data should be as recent as March 14:

35 We found that viable virus
36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on
37 cardboard
and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar
38 half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability
39 on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for
40 HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that
41 aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for
42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

No. Testing needs to be ramped up. How do you know when to stop isolating? Also, people that know they are infected are more likely to behave differently and take this more seriously. It’s easy to see the explosion of cases in big cities, but the US is so spread out and infection rates are going to fluctuate. We can handle and disperse what resources we have more effectively if we have actual data. What’s going on right now with promises of everyone able to be tested for free but the reality of barely anybody getting tested is shameful and IMO criminal.

we know that the virus arrived from people that were traveling, and should know if they were that person or in contact with that person, or their circle.

I've heard several people around this area say they've called the hotline because they feel something. The people that called were told to isolate themselves and if certain symptoms appear, get to the emergency room. False alarms will consume more time and resources than delayed testing, plus this has just begun here. So, I don't exactly agree.

Re: masks
you folks know you're screwed if it gets in your eye(s) too?
yup. most would get it through breathing though. we can more easily detect/prevent people from spitting directly on us. that's why the 6 foot Social Distancing is a thing.

(2/2)

(8) South Korea's dramatic drop in new cases: After its peak of 909 newly reported COVID-19 cases on February 29th, South Korea has now seen a dramatic drop in the number of new cases reported daily. [link]

(9) Mortality rates inflated? Experts predict that Italy has seen a higher mortality rate of COVID-19 given its significant aging population, as well as its higher percentage of COVID-19 patients with pre-existing health conditions. This might suggest that COVID-19’s fatality rate may have been slightly more inflated than previously thought for the general population. [link]

(10) Israeli vaccine development: More than 50 scientists in Israel are now working to develop a vaccine and antibody for COVID-19, having reported significant breakthroughs in understanding the biological mechanism and characteristics of the novel coronavirus. [link]

(11) Full recoveries: Three patients in Maryland who tested positive for COVID-19 have now been reported to have “fully recovered.” [link]

(12) Isolated virus: A network of Canadian scientists isolated the COVID-19 virus, which can now be replicated to test diagnostics, treatments, and vaccines. [link]

(13) Yet another vaccine in the works: San Diego biotech company Arcturus Therapeutics is developing a COVID-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore. [link]

(14) Treatment protocols: Seven patients who were treated for COVID-19 at Jaipur’s Sawai Man Singh (SFS) Hospital and Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital in India have recovered. The treatment protocol will be widely scaled to other hospitals. [link]

(15) Another treatment: Plasma from newly recovered COVID-19 patients (involving the harvesting of virus-fighting antibodies) holds promise for treating others infected by the virus. [link]

Thanks for posting, Of course CNN, MSNBC or Fox will never post anything remotely positive...

This article is based on information from an infectious diseases doctor at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital. I thought I would post the article in it’s entirety because I think it has some great information about the symptoms of the virus, based on Ontarios’s first two infected people.

Covid-19: What it feels like
Toronto doc who has seen two cases of Covid-19: Most people have mild symptoms.
Diana DuongMarch 2, 2020

No one knows the novel coronavirus better than those who’ve seen it firsthand.

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto reported two Canadian cases of Covid-19 and internal medicine and infectious diseases physician Dr. Jerome Leis saw both. The first patient was confirmed on Jan. 25 and the second confirmed last week.

The first case was a 56-year-old man who started experiencing a fever and a dry cough a day after he returned from a three-month trip in Wuhan, China. He was brought to the emergency department by ambulance. Knowing his travel history, both ambulance and receiving hospital staff wore personal protective equipment (PPE). The patient had a history of well-controlled hypertension, and upon examination, showed signs of pneumonia in both lungs.

The day after hospital admission, he started experiencing a runny nose and coughed up specks of blood. His fever lasted for five days but otherwise, he was well. He did not end up requiring oxygen which Leis describes as “surprising at the time” because his chest X-rays showed significant abnormalities. He got better on his own and was discharged, where public health workers followed up with him at home.

We must remember the people with very mild symptoms are the majority of patients

The second patient, a woman in her 60s, presented to the emergency department with a cough, sore throat, body aches, the occasional fever, and an upper respiratory tract infection without pneumonia. She had returned from Iran just more than a week ago. Leis says her case was even less severe than the first case and did not require admission to the hospital. Public health officials were notified and she was instructed on how to self-isolate at home.

Symptoms from least to most severe

The two relatively mild cases at Sunnybrook show there is a large spectrum of severity. “We must remember the people with very mild symptoms are the majority of patients,” he says. “The most severe symptoms are the minority.”

Least severe. These are people with barely any symptoms. Symptoms could be mistaken for the common cold, and could be so insignificant that patients don’t seek medical attention at all. Leis calls these ‘subclinical.’

More symptomatic.The most typical symptoms are respiratory, like dry coughs, sore throat, and fever. Leis says other symptoms like diarrhea are quite uncommon. “What’s challenging is those symptoms may be absent and will develop after a few days,” he says. “People can have really mild symptoms and then progress to the more classic respiratory symptoms.”

Localized infection without pneumonia. The next subset of patients have all of the above symptoms including localized infection to the upper respiratory tract without any pneumonia. This was the case with the second patient who was confirmed at Sunnybrook this week.

Infection with pneumonia. There are patients who develop a lower respiratory tract infection — i.e., pneumonia — but symptoms are still clearly very mild. Even though chest X-rays look significantly abnormal, they don’t feel shortness of breath, don’t require supplemental oxygen or any real any intervention. Leis says the first patient in Canada was the “perfect example” of this type of patient. “Although he was already on the spectrum of more severe disease, in the end, he did well for himself and the self-limited pneumonia got better on its own without requiring much medical intervention,” he says.

Most severe. These are patients who have pneumonia and develop shortness of breath, respiratory failure, and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Patients are unable to breathe because there is inflammation and fluid filling up the air sacs in their lungs. The fluid and inflammation is caused by lymphocytes (the main immune cell against viruses) mobilizing into the lower part of the lung as a “very exuberant immune response to the virus.” Once ARDS develops, the mortality rate goes up significantly and the need for critical care and life support is increased.

“Even with life support, there is a subset of people on a ventilator who will continue to fail and die of their illness,” says Leis. “Inflammation of the lungs can start to spread and affect other vital organs, like the kidney and liver. There are cases in literature of multi-organ failure. At that point, the mortality rate is extremely high.”

Early literature, including two studies from China that have done autopsy investigations on patients have suggested Covid-19 may have the same pathophysiology as SARS, where lymphocytes were also present on the lower lung on the autopsy of patients.

However, the mortality rate of Covid-19 is around 2%, whereas the overall fatality rate of SARS was around 10%. In comparison, MERS had a fatality rate of around 34% and Ebola, an estimated 50%.

Some of the predictors for a worse outcome include older age, chronic health conditions or co-morbidities, like cardiovascular disease and abnormal chest X-ray radiology images. “As seen in our first case, we learned that not everyone progresses,” says Leis.

What to do if you have symptoms

The cases in Toronto were on the less-severe end of the spectrum and have improved on their own. Patients who are not progressing to worse outcomes are best managed with home isolation to minimize exposure and better utilize healthcare resources. Instead of entering a hospital where it’s crowded with teams of people, home isolation only requires one healthcare worker checking up on the patient.

Predictors for a worse outcome include older age, chronic health conditions or co-morbidities, like cardiovascular disease and abnormal chest X-ray radiology images.

While most people believe that hospitals are the best place to get tested, but this is not the case. Leis reminds people to think of public health as a resource to help determine what your next steps should be if you think you may have the virus as opposed to adding to the patient burden in hospitals. For example, If you are in Toronto, Leis recommends calling Public Health Ontario’s hotline (416-338-7600) to review symptoms by phone and receive instructions on how to self-isolate.

“We’re seeing a lot of people coming to hospitals who otherwise would not have gone to the hospital for such minor symptoms,” he says. “For public health reasons and for resource reasons, we need to change that model. It’s important that people understand public health is an excellent resource. We can do testing at home so people don’t need to come to the emergency department. This is important as the number of cases increases where we want to make sure we keep people at home who don’t need to be in the hospital.”

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-a...OMM-11237009&mvl=www.timminspress.com - index

@yeky83:

If we're sharing symptoms, mild fever and cough @ 3/1 weekend, fever quickly went away but a mild dry cough persisted. And since last week and worsening, I feel a little pain in my chest as well as a slight tightening of the airway or something like it. The chest pain is weird, gets uncomfortable when I have bad posture and worse for a minute or so when I come out of the bad posture. Mild case of the virus? Timeline seems weird though. Some other flu and the cough irritated my chest? Psychosomatic? Dunno.

Still can't get tested, and even if I tested positive I'd be doing the same thing I am now, so it is what it is. I don't expect to be able to get tested now with the numbers growing.

How does the test work btw, if someone has it once does he test positive for it even months from when he initially got infected?
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, along with all the other 4 members of my family.

In my case, it started with feeling terrible and tired and slightly sore throat back in late February. My day-job allows a lot of Work-From-Home so I stopped going into the office as soon as I felt sick. I slept all day the first day, which seemed to set the virus back a bit: It kept making me tired but took a whole week-and-a-half after that before the fever and cough showed up.

The fever went to 101.6 Fahrenheit (38.67 C), stayed there a day, and then took a day to return to normal. But the cough goes away more gradually. In fact I still have a touch of the cough...but, to be fair, I have seasonal tree-pollen allergies and they've started acting up in the last week or so. Without the pollen I might be entirely symptom-free by now.

All the other members of my family went through the same progression of symptoms (offset from me by a day or two in either direction).

Anyway, it was either a very early example of community-spread COVID-19, or it was a normal cold followed by a flu.

But which?

There's no way to know: People still can't be tested for COVID-19 in my area unless their symptoms were so severe as to require medical intervention. Our symptoms were never so severe.

And, we can't even be tested for flu, because IF we had COVID-19 and IF we are still shedding viruses, THEN we shouldn't risk infecting others by going to a doctor's office to be tested. (Also, if it was flu, but it ceased a week ago, then they might not be able to detect it any longer, although they might be able to detect the antibodies.)

Very frustrating not to know.

Last edited:
I just realized, can't you just take it off (making sure not to touch it), put in a plastic bag and re-use in a week?
My daughter teaches nursing and works the ICU in a Connecticut hospital. Her nursing class was cancelled mid-semester, so now she's picking-up extra shifts in the ICU. They don't have enough masks. She was given one mask and told to store it in a paper bag between shifts.

Re: masks
you folks know you're screwed if it gets in your eye(s) too?

It's not just about whether you catch the virus or not - It's also the amount of exposure you get to it. If you can reduce the number of organisms that get into your body initially, you give your immune system a greater chance of overcoming it.

Wearing masks helps - to reduce your exposure, and to limit your ability to spread it around.

Don't fall for the argument that masks are useless due to the various other vectors of transmission. Its a western attitude, honestly.

I'm caucasian and wear a mask in more built up areas. After an hour of doing it you don't feel self-conscious any more, plus for an added bonus if you add a little shuffle to your stride, people stay well away.

@yeky83:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, along with all the other 4 members of my family.

In my case, it started with feeling terrible and tired and slightly sore throat back in late February. My day-job allows a lot of Work-From-Home so I stopped going into the office as soon as I felt sick. I slept all day the first day, which seemed to set the virus back a bit: It kept making me tired but took a whole week-and-a-half after that before the fever and cough showed up.

The fever went to 101.6 Fahrenheit (38.67 C), stayed there a day, and then took a day to return to normal. But the cough goes away more gradually. In fact I still have a touch of the cough...but, to be fair, I have seasonal tree-pollen allergies and they've started acting up in the last week or so. Without the pollen I might be entirely symptom-free by now.

All the other members of my family went through the same progression of symptoms (offset from me by a day or two in either direction).

Anyway, it was either a very early example of community-spread COVID-19, or it was a normal cold followed by a flu.

But which?

There's no way to know: People still can't be tested for COVID-19 in my area unless their symptoms were so severe as to require medical intervention. Our symptoms were never so severe.

And, we can't even be tested for flu, because IF we had COVID-19 and IF we are still shedding viruses, THEN we shouldn't risk infecting others by going to a doctor's office to be tested. (Also, if it was flu, but it ceased a week ago, then they might not be able to detect it any longer, although they might be able to detect the antibodies.)

You know something, I asked my dr the same thing. I had a brown recluse bite me a few months ago while I was traveling through Detroit (subsequently 4 flights through DTW between December and January, when it just came out) and I got gravely ill

Now I emailed my doc to ask him if I might've had it, but I honestly don't think id risk going to test retroactively now that it may have passed

but its troubling to not know and not really be able to know atm, so I hope you didn't/don't and/or are immune by now if you did, god forbid
My daughter teaches nursing and works the ICU in a Connecticut hospital. Her nursing class was cancelled mid-semester, so now she's picking-up extra shifts in the ICU. They don't have enough masks. She was given one mask and told to store it in a paper bag between shifts.
Troubling, and scary...

Geez, is this thread really helping! lol

@White Light of Death:

... its troubling to not know and not really be able to know atm, so I hope you didn't/don't and/or are immune by now if you did, god forbid

Troubling, and scary...

Geez, is this thread really helping! lol
I hope that we did have COVID-19, since in that case we had a mild case and are now probably immune.

But, as a family, it is our usual habit to help with community crises. Every time some neighbor or fellow-churchgoer has a baby, we're quick to show up with casseroles and whatnot. If someone's badly ill or recovering from an injury, we volunteer to stay with them when we can. We take food to soup-kitchens and stuff like that.

The frustrating thing right now is this: IF we knew for sure that we'd had COVID-19 already, and are no longer shedding viruses, THEN we could now begin doing what we normally do. We could take groceries to the elderly, for example.

BUT, since we CAN'T know if we've already had it; or even if we've stopped shedding viruses, we dare not go out. We can't risk becoming part of the problem, in a well-intentioned-but-misguided effort to help.

So we stay at home and sit on our hands. We pray for people we know, and the community-at-large, and the world. And we wait.

It's the right thing to do, given the circumstances. But wow, don't we wish we could all get a freakin' test!

I think the failure to quickly organize a private-sector "Manhattan Project" to produce quick tests will go down as the single biggest stumble in the U.S. response to the pandemic. This article seems to say the same:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-test-people-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN2153BW

@yeky83:

But which?

Yup, sounds very similar. My wife had the same symptoms plus the sore throat which I didn't have. Her slight coughing stopped, mine hasn't and now I have my chest stuff. Dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom