Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for a walk this afternoon. It was eerie. Almost no cars and nearly silent. I looked up and there wasn't a single jet visible. Normally there are at least a few because we live about 10 miles from Pease Airport.

It is crazy how the mind plays tricks on me though - every time I feel a symptom, my mind is like " I have corona!" - but in reality, I know its just my allergies.
My sinuses can act up after a couple decent sneezes. In hindsight that's all that happened with me.
Another one of those 'better safe than sorry' things we all better get use to dealing with for a while.

I went for a walk this afternoon. It was eerie. Almost no cars and nearly silent. I looked up and there wasn't a single jet visible. Normally there are at least a few because we live about 10 miles from Pease Airport.
The effects of the reduced pollution here are already tangible.
For example water in Venice canals became crystal clear and people have seen dolphins swimming inside ports

An airline pilot I fly with online has a lot of time on his hands right now.

Some dumb real-world-scenario questions for the peanut gallery...

- How should we handle packages that arrive? One plan I've heard is to leave them in the garage for 2-3 days, then Lysol them, open them and Lysol the contents. However, than won't play well with some things (food), and leaves your garage a potential hotspot. Could leave them outside instead, but the porch isn't completely sheltered.

- How do you handle packages once they're inside? Assume you've done enough? Some other level of vigilance?

- How should we handle prescriptions and other things from stores? I picked up my wife's meds yesterday (90 days worth where we could). I put on exam gloves (felt goofy but did it), pulled up to the CVS drive-through (better than going in I thought), and did the transaction through the drawer thingy. Person serving me was wearing gloves, person behind them filling prescriptions was not. Can't disinfect prescription bottles.

- What do you think about taking a walk in the suburbs, but not interacting with people? I miss my walk from the subway to work and back, and being only inside isn't great on multiple levels. I could exercise inside, but I like getting out, if I'm not going to get my family sick. I'm 67, overweight but otherwise more or less healthy, nobody older in the house, no kids.

- How about visiting my partly disabled daughter 45 mins away? My commute on the subway probably makes me the biggest single risk in her life (working at home as of this week though), except maybe her wife who came back from Brazil 2 weeks ago (she's from there), but it's not super strong there even now. I'd flip the h*ll out if I got them sick, but they need help physically, and would really like the support. I've been texting pretty much when I can, but still.

Apologies for dumping a bunch of non-musical questions with no real answers, but they're on my mind, and I'd feel dumb if I didn't even ask.

Thanks for any (realistic) thoughts.

The effects of the reduced pollution here are already tangible.
For example water in Venice canals became crystal clear and people have seen dolphins swimming inside ports

How much cleaner would the air be with minimal carbon emissions ? We may find out - and find that nature always has a way of repairing itself.
A pandemic is just one way of nature "cleaning things" up a bit... We are a grossly over populated planet that have stripped the planet of all resources.

a bunch of positive news someone at work just posted (1/2):

(1) Vaccine development: An experimental vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. began the first stage of a clinical trial on Monday, with testing on 45 healthy adults in Seattle. [link]

(2) China's new cases plummet: China has now closed down its last temporary hospital built to handle COVID-19. Not enough new cases to warrant them. [link]

(3) Drugs that work: Doctors in India have successfully treated two Italian patients with COVID-19, administering a combination of drugs — principally Lopinavir and Ritonavir, alongside Oseltamivir and Chloroquine. Several are now suggesting the same medical treatment, on a case-by-case basis, globally. [link] [link]

(4) Antibodies to the rescue: Researchers at the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody that can fend off infection by COVID-19. [link]

(5) 103-year-old recovery: A 103-year-old Chinese woman has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China, becoming the oldest patient to beat the disease. [link]

(6) Stores re-opening: Apple has reopened all 42 of its Apple retail stores in China. [link]

(7) Test results in 2 hours: Cleveland’s MetroHealth Medical Center has developed a COVID-19 test that can now deliver results in just two hours, rather than in a matter of days. [link]

(2/2)

(8) South Korea's dramatic drop in new cases: After its peak of 909 newly reported COVID-19 cases on February 29th, South Korea has now seen a dramatic drop in the number of new cases reported daily. [link]

(9) Mortality rates inflated? Experts predict that Italy has seen a higher mortality rate of COVID-19 given its significant aging population, as well as its higher percentage of COVID-19 patients with pre-existing health conditions. This might suggest that COVID-19’s fatality rate may have been slightly more inflated than previously thought for the general population. [link]

(10) Israeli vaccine development: More than 50 scientists in Israel are now working to develop a vaccine and antibody for COVID-19, having reported significant breakthroughs in understanding the biological mechanism and characteristics of the novel coronavirus. [link]

(11) Full recoveries: Three patients in Maryland who tested positive for COVID-19 have now been reported to have “fully recovered.” [link]

(12) Isolated virus: A network of Canadian scientists isolated the COVID-19 virus, which can now be replicated to test diagnostics, treatments, and vaccines. [link]

(13) Yet another vaccine in the works: San Diego biotech company Arcturus Therapeutics is developing a COVID-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore. [link]

(14) Treatment protocols: Seven patients who were treated for COVID-19 at Jaipur’s Sawai Man Singh (SFS) Hospital and Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital in India have recovered. The treatment protocol will be widely scaled to other hospitals. [link]

(15) Another treatment: Plasma from newly recovered COVID-19 patients (involving the harvesting of virus-fighting antibodies) holds promise for treating others infected by the virus. [link]

I’m out walking and doing my 1:1s via phone and it’s quite busy here in the burbs. Normally a bedroom community so everyone who is usually at school and work is now home. I had to find a quiet route because the iron horse trail was packed.

- How should we handle packages that arrive?

I asked the guy who works the 7/11 about this as they had pallets of stuff to re-stock shelves.
Packages seem to be fine based on all of the info gathered. Same goes with clothes.

We are a grossly over populated planet that have stripped the planet of all resources.

I use to think this until I started flying a lot. This is a BIG freaking planet!

If we're sharing symptoms, mild fever and cough @ 3/1 weekend, fever quickly went away but a mild dry cough persisted. And since last week and worsening, I feel a little pain in my chest as well as a slight tightening of the airway or something like it. The chest pain is weird, gets uncomfortable when I have bad posture and worse for a minute or so when I come out of the bad posture. Mild case of the virus? Timeline seems weird though. Some other flu and the cough irritated my chest? Psychosomatic? Dunno.

Still can't get tested, and even if I tested positive I'd be doing the same thing I am now, so it is what it is. I don't expect to be able to get tested now with the numbers growing.

How does the test work btw, if someone has it once does he test positive for it even months from when he intially got infected?

Those symptoms seem like they've been around for a few months now too. My wife traveled to LA for work at the end of January, came back and came down with a fever that lasted about 2 days, one of which was with bad body aches and diarrhea. Also had fatigue and cough that persisted for about 2 and a half weeks. Shortly after she got sick I also got a fever and body aches for 1 day and my cough kicked up (already have a cough from lung damage) and was pretty bad for about 3 weeks. We're both now going "uh?? what if it was corona?" Probably not, but the symptoms didn't seem to be like the flu. Neither one of us had any nasal congestion either.

Who knows...

I believe once you've kicked it the test results come back negative. Not sure though.

a bunch of positive news someone at work just posted (1/2):

(1) Vaccine development: An experimental vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. began the first stage of a clinical trial on Monday, with testing on 45 healthy adults in Seattle. [link]

(2) China's new cases plummet: China has now closed down its last temporary hospital built to handle COVID-19. Not enough new cases to warrant them. [link]

(3) Drugs that work: Doctors in India have successfully treated two Italian patients with COVID-19, administering a combination of drugs — principally Lopinavir and Ritonavir, alongside Oseltamivir and Chloroquine. Several are now suggesting the same medical treatment, on a case-by-case basis, globally. [link] [link]

(4) Antibodies to the rescue: Researchers at the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody that can fend off infection by COVID-19. [link]

(5) 103-year-old recovery: A 103-year-old Chinese woman has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China, becoming the oldest patient to beat the disease. [link]

(6) Stores re-opening: Apple has reopened all 42 of its Apple retail stores in China. [link]

(7) Test results in 2 hours: Cleveland’s MetroHealth Medical Center has developed a COVID-19 test that can now deliver results in just two hours, rather than in a matter of days. [link]

Great to see some good news regarding treatments and vaccines.

There has been so much media focus on making testing available (which is great), but not much news on 'then what?'.

I'm still overwhelmed contemplating it all as I can think of several scenarios, but my gut feeling is that things will accelerate/intensify a great amount in the next few days to a week or two.

Some dumb real-world-scenario questions for the peanut gallery...

- How should we handle packages that arrive? One plan I've heard is to leave them in the garage for 2-3 days, then Lysol them, open them and Lysol the contents. However, than won't play well with some things (food), and leaves your garage a potential hotspot. Could leave them outside instead, but the porch isn't completely sheltered.

- How do you handle packages once they're inside? Assume you've done enough? Some other level of vigilance?

- How should we handle prescriptions and other things from stores? I picked up my wife's meds yesterday (90 days worth where we could). I put on exam gloves (felt goofy but did it), pulled up to the CVS drive-through (better than going in I thought), and did the transaction through the drawer thingy. Person serving me was wearing gloves, person behind them filling prescriptions was not. Can't disinfect prescription bottles.

- What do you think about taking a walk in the suburbs, but not interacting with people? I miss my walk from the subway to work and back, and being only inside isn't great on multiple levels. I could exercise inside, but I like getting out, if I'm not going to get my family sick. I'm 67, overweight but otherwise more or less healthy, nobody older in the house, no kids.

- How about visiting my partly disabled daughter 45 mins away? My commute on the subway probably makes me the biggest single risk in her life (working at home as of this week though), except maybe her wife who came back from Brazil 2 weeks ago (she's from there), but it's not super strong there even now. I'd flip the h*ll out if I got them sick, but they need help physically, and would really like the support. I've been texting pretty much when I can, but still.

Apologies for dumping a bunch of non-musical questions with no real answers, but they're on my mind, and I'd feel dumb if I didn't even ask.

Thanks for any (realistic) thoughts.

Hi Dave, I don't really know the answer, but I was thinking that a hair drier or heat gun might be a way to kill the virus on surfaces, without getting everything wet. Wondering what others think about this

If you go out shopping, the interior of your car should be considered a hotspot too, But My guess is that if you leave your car in the sunlight, the heat inside will kill the virus. Thoughts?

What are people doing here with the N95 masks. They are pretty hard to come by, are you re-using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom