Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really get the call to not panic in this thread, anyone panicking here? What I do see is one person still comparing this to the flu, and I don’t see how the “don’t panic” message fits.
Okay, that's fair enough.

I guess it depends on the kind of language one uses when panicking. What looks like panic to me, might only be someone with a naturally pessimistic personality indulging what my Irish ancestors would have called, "predictin' gloom-an-doom."

Still, in this thread, I saw at least one overestimation of lethality ("one in eleven" which is overstating by at least a factor of four). Earlier on, there was discussion of a run on the banks. Apparently some segment of the population thinks that toilet paper will stop being available for long periods of time, though I hope nobody here thinks that. And in another thread, here, I saw someone say, "We're all screwed" or language to that effect, followed by something to the effect that when it was over, we'd have to crawl out and see what's left. I found myself thinking, "Gee, if I were a Polish Jew in 1939, who'd just had news that Nazi tanks had crossed the border and were headed my way, and I could somehow eavesdrop on some musicians in 2020 saying they were 'all screwed' because an occasionally-deadly virus was making everyone stay at home, I'm not sure whether I'd laugh, or cry. Probably both."

Anyhow, if everyone's being coolly practical? Swell.

If not, I have a book to sell ya'. It's "more popular than the Celestial Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty-three More Things to do in Zero Gravity, and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters." And it has DON'T PANIC printed in large, friendly letters on the cover. ;)

So hopefully that covers everyone.

Groceries are going to be at the grocery store.

I take it you think groceries appear on the shelves by magic? There are plenty of examples where that wasn't the case in the time of widespread panic.

Look, I'm not saying this is not more severe than before...what you shouldn't do is freak out, and a lot of people right now are freaking out based on exaggerated stats they have no hope of properly understanding.
Per your own article, we did not "kinda exceed" hospital beds in 2017 as you stated. Per expert in the article, capacity was "stretched but not broken"

Capacity broke in China before beds were added. Capacity has broken in Italy. Capacity is on track to break in the UK. The USA is seriously concerned about capacity breaking. This is not "freaking out" these are realities and potential realities coming from the numbers. Take Covid-19 numbers, add the regular flow of admissions from any flu, and you have a serious problem.

Me taking a hard look at numbers, getting informed by latest science, and discussing the implications of that with others in this thread is not freaking out.

If you want to be the voice of reason and tell people not to freak out, you need to visit the gun forums, because most everyone here appears to be holding together rather well. In fact, many of them are bringing useful information to this thread.

Last edited:
first known case in china November 17th

one month later in December doctors warn government of a new virus

government sits on info

outbreak in progress and new cases level out in march

united states outbreak starts in march and levels out?? may? june?

There's talk that roads will be closed Friday and only trips for groceries or to pharmacies will be allowed. Everyone will be encouraged to stay home.

All business without social distancing will be closed by Wednesday evening.

The info we are getting about the severity of the virus and the level of lockdown we are experiencing don't match up. We are still not being told everything, it just doesn't add up.

Finally the hawaii governor said restaurants and bars “should” close. We’re up to 14 now, 10 was the total yesterday. Yes, this SUCKS. My small business is looking at closing after this weekend. People already aren’t coming in, it’s a waste of time to be there for nothing as a sitting duck if someone comes in with it unknowingly.

Should is better than nothing. I’m assuming my gigs will be cancelled soon. Good. It sucks. But I don’t want to get sick.

This whole situation stinks but we can’t keep spreading this around.

All of the fatalities from the cruise ship were elderly people as well, in their 70s and 80s.

Per your own article, we did not "kinda exceed" hospital beds in 2017 as you stated. Per expert in the article, capacity was "stretched but not broken"

Capacity broke in China before beds were added. Capacity has broken in Italy. Capacity is on track to break in the UK. The USA is seriously concerned about capacity breaking. This is not "freaking out" these are realities and potential realities coming from the numbers. Take Covid-19 numbers, add the regular flow of admissions from any flu, and you have a serious problem.

Me taking a hard look at numbers, getting informed by latest science, and discussing the implications of that with others in this thread is not freaking out.

If you want to be the voice of reason and tell people not to freak out, you need to visit the gun forums, because most everyone here appears to be holding together rather well. In fact, many of them are bringing useful information to this thread.
Talking about guns, today I saw on the news that even gun stores are being "assaulted" in the US.
Do those people think to fight the virus by shooting at it?

Talking about guns, today I saw on the news that even gun stores are being "assaulted" in the US.
Do those people think to fight the virus by shooting at it?
Probably for rioting that may happen if things get bad.

Just don’t riot.

How people can’t just stay home is puzzling to me. I dream of not going out and sleeping all day!

Probably for rioting that may happen if things get bad.

Just don’t riot.

How people can’t just stay home is puzzling to me. I dream of not going out and sleeping all day!
Yeah, I was trying to be sarcastic cuz that news reminded me of the famous Simpsons episode with Chief Wiggum shooting at a cloud of viruses

Re: Guns
More like personal property protection.
We are well stocked, pets (3) and us (2). We could go a month if needed.
We're in a condo community. 8 units per building and dozens of buildings.
How stocked are my 200+ very close neighbors? How desperate/nuts are
people going to get one week from now when the news start sounding
10x (at least) more dire than it is now?
I start seeing people wandering around after dark and I'm putting a little
sign in every window and on every door.

Tests with the Japanese drug Avigan (Favipiravir) started last February in China

320 patients tested, 91% confirmed improvement on X-Rays
Improvement of patients without the drug: 62%

That doesn't look bad

The drug's laboratories belong to Fuji Film Holdings. It seems like their shares are sky rocketing

https://www.france24.com/en/20200318-fujifilm-shares-soar-after-china-backs-drug-to-treat-virus

Fuji 1 - Donald 0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom