Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw 2 different doctors on the news, Fox and 1 other, both said it WAS transmittable airborne, like coughing, sneezing.

What I mean is it's not airborne like an aerosol - particles able to stay suspended in the air for hours.

That's why most cities are still allowing small groups as long as they maintain the recommended six foot distance from others.
If it was truly airborne in the scary sense we'd all be letting our dogs do it in the house.

Goldman Sachs Sunday Emergency Conference Call:
150M in US will become infected.
2% will die = 3M deaths.

Yikes.
Looks like the figures are from a leaked copy of a meeting held on Thursday. I would assume they would not have baked in the response that has happened since then.

I think we are at a very different place as compared to last Thursday, both from a public awareness and administrative response perspective.

Looks like the figures are from a leaked copy of a meeting held on Thursday. I would assume they would not have baked in the response that has happened since then.

I think we are at a very different place as compared to last Thursday, both from a public awareness and administrative response perspective.

the response will mainly affect the timing, not the total numbers

I looked at my folding stats for the first time since I installed it when this thread opened. I see I have contributed only 0.05% of the forum's output, which is a bit disappointing. Does that mean I am lazy or that you all are awesome?

I looked at my folding stats for the first time since I installed it when this thread opened. I see I have contributed only 0.05% of the forum's output, which is a bit disappointing. Does that mean I am lazy or that you all are awesome?
could be lack of work units that we discussed above. or maybe some are running the high CPU vs Low. i think you have to finish the work unit fully to get "credit" for it. not sure, but read it in passing perhaps.

Mahalo, Chris. I was sort of kidding, but I am impressed at the way this community jumped on an opportunity to help.

the response will mainly affect the timing, not the total numbers
I would expect the mortality numbers to change if the same infections were spread over a longer period of time.

I would also think that number of people infected will come down but that’s just from reading opinions on the internet.

BY NICOLE GALLUCCI
9 HOURS AGO
As coronavirus — which results in the respiratory disease COVID-19 — continues to spread around the world, talk of social distancing is dominating the news cycle.

It's clear that some people, such as the many Americans who continued to hit up bars over the weekend, still don't understand the importance of avoiding crowds and keeping at least three feet of space between yourself and others, but government officials and healthcare professionals believe that social distancing is the key to slowing the spread of this virus.

In an effort to help everyone see just how critical social distancing can be during this tumultuous time, people are creating helpful visual aids using matches.

Last edited:
Regarding Germany Death Rate:

They're just cheating, they consider death caused by coronavirus only those which didn't have pre-existing pathologies. With that standard Italy has only 2 deaths.

This seems like vital information that should have an asterisk * in all news reports and graphs, if true. The current narrative is focused only on early testing for Germany's low death rate... my guess is that it might be a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

I followed that link to the Italian newspaper that was referenced (thanks @DLC86 ) and got the translation:
https://www.ilgiornale.it/news/mond...mania-polemica-sul-conteggio-dei-1839392.html

According to WHO's Walter Ricciardi - (translation paraphrased)
the difference with Italy would lie in the fact that the German's record deaths with "obsessive" attention, carrying out a series of assessments - and assessments that even in certain cases has led to the removal of deaths from the list. In fact, they happen to ascertain that some people have died from other causes despite being infected with coronavirus" . For this reason - adds Ricciardi - the death rate of Covid-19- may be lower in Germany .

In Germany, if you're old and have diabetes or heart disease or some other condition -- but then contract Covid-19 and die, does Germany actually attribute that death to Covid-19, or to the other pre-existing conditions (diabetes, heart disease, etc), and what is the threshold of that cause of death categorization?

Someone needs to contact this guy (Italian WHO physician Walter Ricciardi) for a follow up interview and investigate this further... and corroborate with German healthcare experts.

Death rate is much lower in the US than in Italy as well at the same point in the exponential curve. The percentage of severe cases is way lower, too. In fact, by these two metrics Italy appears to be an insane outlier compared even to China. Germany seems to also be an outlier but in the other direction: very few deaths, and very few serious cases.

My parents as well as my wife’s parents just aren’t taking this seriously so they’re not allowed to come over and we’re not going there for our usual visits. I worry about them a lot but aside from the talks where I have stressed the importance, there isn’t much else I can do.
My brother in law and his fam came over yesterday uninvited, and gave me the whole “the flu’s way worse” spiel. Wanted to kick him out but wtf could I do, he's the BiL and he was already fking in the house sharing a meal by that point.
For those in the Bay Area in San Mateo or Santa Clara county this may be of interest...

https://www.projectbaseline.com/study/covid-19/

This is apparently the site Trump was talking about Google working on a few days ago. Turns out it's not a nationwide thing at this time. smh
Tried it, it looks like it only sets up test appt for people who've had known direct contact with confirmed infected people or who've traveled overseas. Very limited testing availability still.
I wouldn't trust a word of what Goldman Sachs has to say in particular. Their sole purpose in life is to make money, which they can do more easily if they can direct the panic.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/lower-coronavirus-death-rate-estimates/
How would letting people know 2M would die direct the panic in their favor?
Death rate is much lower in the US than in Italy as well at the same point in the exponential curve. The percentage of severe cases is way lower, too. In fact, by these two metrics Italy appears to be an insane outlier compared even to China. Germany seems to also be an outlier but in the other direction: very few deaths, and very few serious cases.
As mentioned before, the high death rate of Italy is explained when you normalize the confirmed case pool with Italy's population age distribution. Germany, I dunno.

Tried it, it looks like it only sets up test appt for people who've had known direct contact with confirmed infected people or who've traveled overseas. Very limited testing availability still.

Yeah, it still appears prioritization is for people who traveled/had contact with someone who traveled or people with symptoms if they meet certain criteria.

The response is staggering - major shutdowns will prevent this being anywhere near the worst-case you're hearing about.

I would be worrying more about the economic (and small business particularly) impacts more than the infection and death rate at this point.

The projections of millions of deaths in the US are ridiculous. Between increasing isolation, decreasing shared spaces, and the probably imminent vaccine, this will not be the worst-case scenario or anything like it. Remain vigilant, but living as if it's the apocalypse is only going to further reduce your quality of life and panic those around you to no avail.

as expected, my state's press conference said NOTHING. no specifics. "work together." if you're sick stay home. this is OLD info.

currently my state is only testing people who have had contact with a COVID case. irritating!

we had our first community spread reported today. not sure how that person broke through the testing barrier. tested last wednesday, no word if she continued work or stayed home after that. results yesterday (sunday).

ughghgh i'm so pissed. my state is saying they may have plans within 30 days of how to combat this. my god.
On our slightly larger island, we seem to be no better off and have learned nothing from international lessons.
Bars, restaurants, theme parks, all open, schools open. Gatherings over 500 are out, I'm sure that has to come down too - and fast!

We're currently doubling every 4 days at the moment...and accelerating
1584426705403.png
Still quite low compared with others, but it's only a matter of time before we catch up I'm sure.

I saw 2 different doctors on the news, Fox and 1 other, both said it WAS transmittable airborne, like coughing, sneezing.
There’s a big difference between pneumatic and airborne transmission, mainly due to droplet/particle size. Coughing and sneezing is pneumatic. If you sneeze in a room the droplets fall to the floor, or stick to surface, but the air clears. If you walk into a room with measles then the air is infected for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom