Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macron shutting down France. If you know about French people....surely that can’t work*

*love you really French people, even if you are slightly strange.

It's really bad in countries like Iran, so no, warmth and sun will not stop it.
The spread has a lot to do with culture. If you look at how both the Italians and the Iranians greet each other it's with one kiss on each cheek and a hug (in Italy). Hence the more it has spread and it's much more severe. China has billions more people in a small area and has largely contained the virus (if the media is to be believed)

Does leaving packages in your garage for two days have a major effect on any viruses they might contain or have on their surface? How?

I'm wondering whether it makes sense to allow outside packages at all, if it can be helped. If the package contents aren't safe, don't let them in maybe?

Thanks @chris I wondered about the folding. It hadn't done anything in a few days.

Yeah, I haven't processed anything for a few days. I was excited to see that a work unit I did on Thursday or Friday was an actual C19 work unit. Thought that was cool. I read in a blog post that they might have work units for vaccine trials in the coming weeks.

Does leaving packages in your garage for two days have a major effect on any viruses they might contain or have on their surface? How?

I'm wondering whether it makes sense to allow outside packages at all, if it can be helped. If the package contents aren't safe, don't let them in maybe?
viruses can live on surfaces for x amount of time, and in the air too. waiting out that time can help.

Does leaving packages in your garage for two days have a major effect on any viruses they might contain or have on their surface?
viruses can live on surfaces for x amount of time, and in the air too.

Chris, FORTUNATELY!!!! Covid-19 is not airborne and can not survive that way.
It's also proven not to be able to survive on cloth, canvas, or any type of paper.
It seems to need a solid surface to be able to live for an extended period.
Glass, metals, porcelain, dense plastics, etc.

That said, I'm opening all packages outside and spraying the contents (and my hands)
before bringing anything in. "Better safe than sorry" has never been more apropos!

It's also proven not to be able to survive on cloth, canvas, or any type of paper.

That said, I'm opening all packages outside and spraying the contents (and my hands)
before bringing anything in. "Better safe than sorry" has never been more apropos!
here's the latest data i'm seeing, mentioning both SARS-CoV-1 (the first sars) and HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2, the current issue). Data should be as recent as March 14:

35 We found that viable virus
36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on
37 cardboard
and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar
38 half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability
39 on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for
40 HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that
41 aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for
42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

Seems a bit extreme for me. It lives on cloth a lot less longer apparently but on a hard surface it;s infectious ability decreases much in 20 hours (so I hear)
‘Might aswell just get a UV light to cook it If your going full hazmat.

What is Germany doing? They have 6250 cases and only 13 deaths and a mere 2 serious/critical cases. We need to find out why they are statistically so much better.
Well...during first 6 highly critical weeks, Germany made 1.4 million test kits (just one company) and we didn't. As a result they detected the infected; we did not. We're STILL not finding them.

Therefore, we're past the testing window and moving to lockdown...lockdown that would've started a month ago if we'd been testing/detecting. We are literally behind the curve, and a huge number of people will die as a result.

Interesting article:
https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/pu...ission-fuels-fast-spread-coronavirus-outbreak

as expected, my state's press conference said NOTHING. no specifics. "work together." if you're sick stay home. this is OLD info.

currently my state is only testing people who have had contact with a COVID case. irritating!

we had our first community spread reported today. not sure how that person broke through the testing barrier. tested last wednesday, no word if she continued work or stayed home after that. results yesterday (sunday).

ughghgh i'm so pissed. my state is saying they may have plans within 30 days of how to combat this. my god.

Last edited:
most of the SF bay area (where i live & work) is being required to “shelter in place” as of midnight tonight. as a veterinary medical professional i’m exempt from this order, but i’ve asked my physician for an exemption to the exemption due to my diabetes (which, among other things, means my immune system falls over every flu season).

hopefully i’ll be annoying the neighbors with my fractal gear for most of the next couple weeks, and maybe installing a new armature radio in my truck.

most of the SF bay area (where i live & work) is being required to “shelter in place” as of midnight tonight. as a veterinary medical professional i’m exempt from this order, but i’ve asked my physician for an exemption to the exemption due to my diabetes (which, among other things, means my immune system falls over every flu season).

hopefully i’ll be annoying the neighbors with my fractal gear for most of the next couple weeks, and maybe installing a new armature radio in my truck.
Stay safe!

Well my state went from 2 to 12 to 22 to 54 in the last week. That’s with hard to get tests even, so you can bet it’s waaaaay way more. Here we go boys!

We bought a little extra and had a decent amount of food in our chest freezer already. Total lockdown in our house for at least 2 weeks while things ramp up, we could do 3 or 4 if we have to. After that I’m prepared to make an essentials run while being super careful. Have a bounce house type thing coming from Amazon this week to keep the fam occupied (little kids).

My parents as well as my wife’s parents just aren’t taking this seriously so they’re not allowed to come over and we’re not going there for our usual visits. I worry about them a lot but aside from the talks where I have stressed the importance, there isn’t much else I can do.

My parents as well as my wife’s parents just aren’t taking this seriously so they’re not allowed to come over and we’re not going there for our usual visits. I worry about them a lot but aside from the talks where I have stressed the importance, there isn’t much else I can do.
Have this issue as well. Very difficult as our parents are a source of daycare.
Not something that goes over well when you try to keep grandparents away for their safety.

I saw 2 different doctors on the news, Fox and 1 other, both said it WAS transmittable airborne, like coughing, sneezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom