Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not doing any prepared foods. If an infected person touches the packaging then the packaging is contagious.

When we need to get perishables we go to the grocery store in our "apocalypse garb". We go first thing in the morning and have our shopping list ready and our route planned. We buy our food and get the heck outta there.

Right now we put the purchased items in a quarantine zone in the garage for at least a few days. When the warmer weather comes we'll have to figure out a way to handle items that require refrigeration.

As soon as we are done placing items in the quarantine zone our clothes are removed and placed in the washing machine and then we take a shower. If things get worse we are contemplating a hazmat routine where we wear a rain suit and spray each other down with bleach solution and leave the rain suits outside.

We've suspended ALL social activities. We don't even interact with close friends or family. It's just the three of us holed up until this is over.
I told most vulnerable in family to have grocery store deliver, quarantine in garage for 2 days and disinfect anything that has to go immediately into the fridge. If China can disinfect a city twice a day, they can disinfect a small batch of groceries every couple weeks.

I appreciate the announcement they (Santa Clara County here) made, but the way it was done sucked ass. No written announcement to be found anywhere, just a laggy unwatchable video streamed through facebook and twitter... kind of wtf. Like, is this official or not? No specifics.
All counties should have full orders released now. Here is the CCC one: https://cchealth.org/coronavirus/pdf/HO-COVID19-SIP-0316-2020.pdf

Media had early accces and KTVU decided to post it ahead of the 1 pm time so everyone scrambled.

Before they found penicillin in the 50's the therapy against pneumonia was to put people in an environment where they could breathe cold and dry air (usually somewhere in the mountains). Maybe the low rate of severe courses in Germany is due to the cold wheater we had the last weeks because it's good for the lungs? I'm just guessing.
The other way round wet and warm air then is bad and spring is coming. Will we now get as many bad courses as other countries? I hope I'm all wrong.

Before they found penicillin in the 50's the therapy against pneumonia was to put people in an environment where they could breathe cold and dry air (usually somewhere in the mountains). Maybe the low rate of severe courses in Germany is due to the cold wheater we had the last weeks because it's good for the lungs? I'm just guessing.
The other way round wet and warm air then is bad and spring is coming. Will we now get as many bad courses as other countries? I hope I'm all wrong.
interesting since early sentiment was go somewhere hot where it can't survive. i didn't believe that either. cold makes sense to me. i hope we can get real data on this!

interesting since early sentiment was go somewhere hot where it can't survive. i didn't believe that either. cold makes sense to me. i hope we can get real data on this!

It's really bad in countries like Iran, so no, warmth and sun will not stop it.

In case you missed it..

Anybody who has looked at a map in the past couple of weeks has probably wondered about a correlation between spread and latitude. Here's an interesting study that examines that correlation:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...mes-pandemic-scientists-ask-if-lines-map-hold

2031a664-6462-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_972x_214133.jpg

can anyone explain the basics of "slashing the interest rate" and how it would affect a non-trading person? i don't understand stocks. i have $18 in "micro stocks" (?) in the Cash app just to try it out before this all happened. i'm glad i can see the effect on my actual money.

but what does lowering the interest rate for stocks or whatever do for someone not involved. if i have $500 right now, then it gets slashed, does that affect my $500?

REALLY basic please. i don't know anything about it.

From Wednesday on even all stores except pharmacies and grocery stores will be closed in Germany. I am in home office from tomorrow on.

I am actually not worried much for myself. I am 48 years old, do quite some sports and have good health and for my age quite an ok physique, so when it hits me, it might get nasty, but the chance of getting killed is really low. Same for my wife and kids.

What worries me is my 83 year old Mom with heart insufficiency. She is in the high risk group with a very bad mortality rate. She lives on the ground floor, and we live on the first floor, since we have to take care of her since dementia has started to get worse recently. So it's a LOT of washing and disinfecting hands before going down to her, always keeping two meters distance from her, don't touch the face while you are there so that nothing can go to door handles etc.

And then of course I try to do my part to flatten the curve so that the medical system can keep up. The slower it goes, the better for everybody. There is also a company in Germany, CureVac, that report good progress on a vaccine. They hope to enter clinical trials by June or July. In that case, we might see a vaccine entering the market in winter / spring. Certain interested parties have already tried to buy it out from them and get exclusivity for their country, but they have refused and made it clear they will make it available globally. So if we can win enough time and make it through one year from now, the start of spring / summer 2021 might be the turning point to victory over CoVid-19, with the warm weather bringing the infectiousness down and the vaccine starting to be mass produced.

can anyone explain the basics of "slashing the interest rate" and how it would affect a non-trading person? i don't understand stocks. i have $18 in "micro stocks" (?) in the Cash app just to try it out before this all happened. i'm glad i can see the effect on my actual money.

but what does lowering the interest rate for stocks or whatever do for someone not involved. if i have $500 right now, then it gets slashed, does that affect my $500?

Lowering the interest rate encourages borrowing which usually stimulates the economy as it increases the amount of money in circulation.

In this case it's treating the symptoms not the cause. The cause is a tiny microbe that kills humans with remarkable efficiency.

Lowering the interest rate encourages borrowing which usually stimulates the economy as it increases the amount of money in circulation.

In this case it's treating the symptoms not the cause. The cause is a tiny microbe that kills humans with remarkable efficiency.

And then low interest rates keep people from saving money the traditional way in savings accounts etc. for retirement, since the low interest rate is not worth it, actually you lose money due to inflation being higher than the interest you receive. It pushes people to instead invest in the stock market, creating buying pressure which drives share prices up.

Affects any investments you could make with your money.

Businesses borrow money all the time. That's an important tool to efficiently manage cash flow. The interest on those loans is a part of the cost of running a business. Lowering interest rates will lower that cost to businesses at this difficult time.

Businesses borrow money all the time. That's an important tool to efficiently manage cash flow. The interest on those loans is a part of the cost of running a business. Lowering interest rates will lower that cost to businesses at this difficult time.
thanks! this all makes borrowed money "more valuable" due to less interest to pay back. makes sense now!

thanks! i thought it was something like that. it's all about the illusion of business right?
You tell that to an economist, someone who spent money to get their MBA, or in general someone who has a vested interest in the markets and they will read you the riot act... As someone who knows just enough to be dangerous in conversation and use neat buzz words like ZIRP and qualitative easing I really think nowadays with how connected we are and the instantaneous spread of information it really is a major illusion these days. Which also brings me to the famous line in The Wizard of Oz when Toto rips away the curtain, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."
1584399818299.png

This will make your stomach turn...even more!

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...ermans-scientists-for-coronavirus-cure-2020-3

I wonder if this is also the reason Germany’s infection rates are high, but not the death rates. Are they already using it?

No, they are not using it yet, they hope to enter clinical trials by June / July.

Yeah, what I wrote regarding "certain interested parties" was referring to that specific Trump advance...
CureVac was founded by the founder of SAP, Dietmar Hopp. He already gave a statement regarding this effort from the Trump administration (I translate from his German statement): "We want to develop a vaccine for the entire world and not for single countries." He said an exclusivity deal for the USA is out of the question.

Last edited:
No, they are not using it yet, they hope to enter clinical trials by June / July.

Yeah, what I wrote regarding "certain interested parties" was referring to that specific Trump advance...

I thought I had removed that last line after researching a bit more. Thanks for the reply and information! Let’s hope they have great success with the vaccine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom