Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nationwide curfew is coming and mandatory restaurant/bar/malls/movie theaters closing is slowly spreading county by county. Many grade schools are already being shut down for a month. All domestic flights will be cancelled soon. It might seem gradual right now, but it will be very abrupt soon. People have been given a decent warning the past week to prepare if they've been even remotely paying attention regardless of your favorite cable news station. A UPS employee on another forum was told to be prepared to halt all package handling and transportation at some point in the near future. Medical supplies will be given the priority. So, you know, as you're tracking your Amazon packages and it says "Arrival Scan etc" don't be shocked if that next "Departure Scan" or "Out for delivery" doesn't come for awhile!

as scary as this sounds it has to happen and will save lives
up in canada i just received word
on a sunday email that the clinics are now going to have doors locked
and the doctors will be doing phone appointments only
if you do need to be seen in person it will be a set time and they will unlock the door and let you in
there is no more walk in clinic

this is for all unrelated covid issues only

also rumour is all but grocery stores and gas stations will close here for 2 weeks minimum sometime in the next few days

sounds like pretty much all of North America is going into hibernation very soon

I imagine the virus multiplies exponentially once it finds your mucus membranes, doubling every period of a few minutes or more. That means at some point, if they aren't stopped, and keep doubling, they will go from first noticeable by the body, to uncomfortable to harmful and destructive numbers in just a few hours, or doubling, and take the body by surprise. But if the number of virus you have been infected with is small, there are more doublings required to reach the same deadly numbers, and more time for the body to respond. So that's one reason getting around to cleaning everything all the time is important. you don't want to pick up a 'splotch' on your hand of virus from somewhere, and then put little splotches of it on your keyboard, and your fridge door handle, so now there are little splotched all over the place, with enough virus is each splotch to reach harmful numbers in a few hours. At some point, after using the kitchen cupboards you rub your eyes and now you've been 'splotched', and the clock is ticking. If it's just a few hundred or so ? virus, it can be outstripped and cut off by the body. Drink cayenne pepper water, hot. :D They don't like it hot. I think people are right that everyone will be exposed, but i think the amount of virus that is transferred plays a roll in the progression or outcome too, so keep it wiped down.

I think the pepper twigs the immune system for a short bust, nose runs, eyes water. I wonder if really hot cotton towels can be used instead of that guys off the shelf stuff and that gel.. What's wrong with steaming hot towels on the surfaces that we would otherwise be greasing down with Gos knows what? just curious. And they should tell those people to bring back all that toilet paper. What were they thinking?

I imagine the virus multiplies exponentially once it finds your mucus membranes, doubling every period of a few minutes or more. That means at some point, if they aren't stopped, and keep doubling, they will go from first noticeable by the body, to uncomfortable to harmful and destructive numbers in just a few hours, or doubling, and take the body by surprise. But if the number of virus you have been infected with is small, there are more doublings required to reach the same deadly numbers, and more time for the body to respond. So that's one reason getting around to cleaning everything all the time is important. you don't want to pick up a 'splotch' on your hand of virus from somewhere, and then put little splotches of it on your keyboard, and your fridge door handle, so now there are little splotched all over the place, with enough virus is each splotch to reach harmful numbers in a few hours. At some point, after using the kitchen cupboards you rub your eyes and now you've been 'splotched', and the clock is ticking. If it's just a few hundred or so ? virus, it can be outstripped and cut off by the body. Drink cayenne pepper water, hot. :D They don't like it hot. I think people are right that everyone will be exposed, but i think the amount of virus that is transferred plays a roll in the progression or outcome too, so keep it wiped down.

I think the pepper twigs the immune system for a short bust, nose runs, eyes water. I wonder if really hot cotton towels can be used instead of that guys off the shelf stuff and that gel.. What's wrong with steaming hot towels on the surfaces that we would otherwise be greasing down with Gos knows what? just curious. And they should tell those people to bring back all that toilet paper. What were they thinking?
This video address just that around the 20 minute mark. The concept is to hopefully reduce the level of inoculation you may receive. A few virus floating around in the air vs a spit-filled cough directly on you can make a huge difference.

That’s the whole point of the social distancing. Reduce the chances of that high inoculation by staying far from people. A little goes a long way. I really wish my state would shut everything down already. We’re getting more details tomorrow, but I doubt it’s anything actually effective.

Reactions: jon
We need folks to UV 'zap' packages, deliveries. Of coarse that would take time. They could zap it as it goes along the conveyor belt.

Last edited:
FWIW, I see no difference in the doubling rate between Italy (which has imposed a hardcore lockdown), and the UK, which is doing relatively little. In both places cases continue to double approximately every 3.5 days at this time. I'm sure it's psychologically better to be "doing something", but I don't see that "doing something" is actually helping, at least in Italy. I think a lockdown more strongly applied to at-risk populations (the elderly, those with comorbidities) would reduce the fatality rate overall, but it's not feasible to impose such a lockdown when lower risk populations are sucking the resources out of the system. Hence the UK strategy. The basic fact of the matter is, you can't maintain quarantine indefinitely (and once you lift it this shit starts anew), and you can't shut down the economy every time someone in China eats a bat. The solution to this will be technological, not social.
Italy began the lockdown about 8 days ago, we will see its effect at the end of this week if all goes well.
The lockdown in Codogno, the town where the contagion started, began several weeks ago and in the last week there have been 0 new infections. Zero.

We need folks to UV 'zap' packages, deliveries. Of coarse that would take time. They could zap it as it goes along the conveyor belt.

I'm using Lysol spray both on the shipping box and anything inside. We're on day 2 and last night I went out and sprayed the inside of both cars as well as the door handles. Our apartment is clean - we hope. We both have a Ziploc bags filled with wipes in case we have to go anywhere.

What is Germany doing? They have 6250 cases and only 13 deaths and a mere 2 serious/critical cases. We need to find out why they are statistically so much better.

I think we all have to be careful about putting too much stock in numbers published by official government agencies right now.

That being said, even if this is only half right, the US should be ashamed.
j160GhH.jpg

Last edited:
What is Germany doing? They have 6250 cases and only 13 deaths and a mere 2 serious/critical cases. We need to find out why they are statistically so much better.

I've never been to Germany and have only known a limited number of German people over my lifetime and most were of German descent or second generation. How do Germans interact socially, in terms of personal space, greetings, etc.? Could 'cultural social distancing' be the difference?

The reason I ask, is that both of my parents are Italian immigrants. Italians, as most know, love to hug, kiss on the cheeks and pinch cheeks. Given what I know about this virus and the frightening numbers in Italy, this would seem to be the obvious reason it has spread so fast and the reason it has been so lethal, is because of the large elderly population in Italy. The part that confuses me about that though, is that most of the elderly Italian immigrants I know, are in really good health, well into their 80's and 90's and are still very active. I did read though, that this virus, for some reason, seems to be hyper-stimulating the immune system in elderly people, but not younger people...at least not as much.

My family in Germany has been taking this seriously for at least two weeks now. They already started minimizing shopping and being out in public too much. Fact is that what they saw in Italy scared the shit out of them.

And to be honest adults are in charge over there.

I've never been to Germany and have only known a limited number of German people over my lifetime and most were of German descent or second generation. How do Germans interact socially, in terms of personal space, greetings, etc.? Could 'cultural social distancing' be the difference?

The reason I ask, is that both of my parents are Italian immigrants. Italians, as most know, love to hug, kiss on the cheeks and pinch cheeks. Given what I know about this virus and the frightening numbers in Italy, this would seem to be the obvious reason it has spread so fast and the reason it has been so lethal, is because of the large elderly population in Italy. The part that confuses me about that though, is that most of the elderly Italian immigrants I know, are in really good health, well into their 80's and 90's and are still very active. I did read though, that this virus, for some reason, seems to be hyper-stimulating the immune system in elderly people, but not younger people...at least not as much.

Germans interact socially just like Americans. However a much bigger difference is that there is a much stronger sense of community there than in the US. So in other words when the word comes down to minimize public exposure they tend to do just that - minimize public exposure.

And as I wrote earlier - over there they have adults in charge.

I have a package from Amazon that’s been sitting in my foyer since Friday. I might open it today.

Realized my disaster kit was missing one thing. We have a battery operated radio, short-wave, lights, a DVD player, and a few other things but........
Amazon should be dropping it off today.

1584368811783.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: the tiny amount of testing done in the U.S.:
That being said, even if this is only half right, the US should be ashamed.
I'm a U.S. citizen, but I haven't done anything that delayed the testing of cases in the U.S.; so I presume you don't think I should be ashamed about something. ;) ("The US" is a bit broad for my tastes since, hey, that's me, though not only me. But I'll accept blame if I did something to deserve it!)

I think someone, or some groups of someones, could have done something better. But who and what, precisely?

We're seemingly about a month behind everyone else (in the first world that is) at getting...
(a.) the test kits built; and/or,
(b.) the processing-capacity spun up.

We were further delayed by the fact that an early set of tests didn't work properly, but set that aside. What was the delay, that put us behind the 8-ball? Was it kits or processing or both?

If kits, was it because we manufacture everything in China and, at the time, they were closed for business? (If so, the lesson is: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.)

If processing, was it because we lack competent personnel, or machines, or did nobody bother to train and schedule them quickly enough?

Or was it something else?

I don't know the answers to those questions. I've read every article I can find on the pandemic, but nobody seems to be talking about that particular topic. So I'm in the dark.

NOTE, however, that certain responses can be ruled out, since they don't make sense:
  • It can't be that there was an existing stockpile, in every country other than the U.S., of tests for this virus. It's a new virus; the ramp-up time would have to start in November or December when the truth about it finally got past the Chinese state-media blackout.
  • It can't be that the failure of one early set of tests set everyone back. The whole benefit of a (quasi-) free market is to diversify providers and leverage competition through price-signals. Presumably if one manufacturer's test turned out to be bogus, we could turn to one of the alternate manufacturers.
  • I keep hearing this poorly-explained, vague story that there was some regulation in place which prevented health-workers from using any test other than the bad one, until someone complained to HHS and the administration responded by removing that regulation. But I don't know any details. That might have hampered testing, to be sure. But it doesn't seem like that, alone, could have prevented other firms from spinning up their manufacturing of competing tests, in anticipation of the reg being removed.

Last edited:
My family in Germany has been taking this seriously for at least two weeks now. They already started minimizing shopping and being out in public too much. Fact is that what they saw in Italy scared the shit out of them.

And to be honest adults are in charge over there.
It's not the infection rate that is remarkable. It's the death rate and complication rate. The disease is spreading in Germany very rapidly. However the percentage of people getting really sick and/or dying from it is far less than any other country. Perhaps there's a mutated strain that broke out there that's not as deadly.

It's not the infection rate that is remarkable. It's the death rate and complication rate. The disease is spreading in Germany very rapidly. However the percentage of people getting really sick and/or dying from it is far less than any other country. Perhaps there's a mutated strain that broke out there that's not as deadly.

Honestly, we're still very early in the cycle. I don't think it has a lot to do with measures taken since government reacted only about two days ago.

Maybe health care?
Germany is described as under pressure.
Italian hospitals are overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom