Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drama in Italy certainly helps other countries to know in a short advance what they will have to face. Here, hospitals are preparing themselves for the big wave...

(...) The data is there. If people are ignorant enough to ignore it, they will probably get the virus anyway just like everyone else. There’s really no stopping this from unfolding. We’re on a runaway train. It’s up to you whether or not you want to prepare for impact. Nature’s a bitch. Buckle up!

There is no stopping, that's correct; the virus will walk right through the entire population of the world within the next 1 or 2 years. But we can slow it down. If 70% of the world population will show symptoms, 20% of that severe ones, it does make a world of difference whether that happens within 3 months or within 2 years.

Check out what happened during the spanish flu in Philadelphia vs. St. Louis.

And it's not just up to you whether you want to brace yourself for the impact but rather to do the responsible thing and make sure you protect others in particular the elderly immunosuppressed.

I still don’t understand how people are comparing a years with of flu data to months worth of factually growing covid data. People are literally saying the flu kills 200k a year and covid hasn’t come close to that so covid is less deadly.

:oops:

It. Hasn’t. Been. A. Year.

There is no stopping, that's correct; the virus will walk right through the entire population of the world within the next 1 or 2 years. But we can slow it down. If 70% of the world population will show symptoms, 20% of that severe ones, it does make a world of difference whether that happens within 3 months or within 2 years.

Check out what happened during the spanish flu in Philadelphia vs. St. Louis.

And it's not just up to you whether you want to brace yourself for the impact but rather to do the responsible thing and make sure you protect others in particular the elderly immunosuppressed.

Also, they may in time figure out what kind of person will be hit hardest, how it is so deadly, and how to preempt a bad outcome. Also,
It evolves, quickly, and the forms that can spread through the carriers without immobilizing or killing their carriers will be the best replicators and distributors. Best case scenario - almost no spread for two weeks to see where we stand. Drink hot water and cayenne pepper powder if you think you have something - some people say zinc supplements can be a deterrent to viruses.

Last edited:

My point is that you have people who are distancing themselves, practicing good hygiene, and making an effort to prepare for the worst.

Then you have people who are saying “it’s no big deal” or “it’s no worse than the flu” and continue to go about their daily lives as if situation won’t get any worse. This doesn’t surprise me given there are people out there who actually lick buttholes for pleasure. But I digress.

I personally spoke to someone who said that “we’re all going to die some day; maybe this is how I’ll go” and are also ignoring the situation. Protecting the elderly and our loved ones goes without saying. Unfortunately, a lot of the elderly don’t have anyone. And once the healthcare system begins to fail, they won’t have them either.

A nurse I know who works at the Stanford hospital ED is convinced it won’t be worse than the H1N1 and is taking it to Facebook to let everyone know. “We didn’t freak out then, why this time? Lots of us are rolling our eyes behind the scene,” etc. So all kinds of people think all kinds of things...

A nurse I know who works at the Stanford hospital ED is convinced it won’t be worse than the H1N1 and is taking it to Facebook to let everyone know. “We didn’t freak out then, why this time? Lots of us are rolling our eyes behind the scene,” etc. So all kinds of people think all kinds of things...

We are able to track it this time, so now we can fight back by changing its exponential growth rate. Countless benefits result.

I wish it were fake news. From worldometers.info:

alert.png
Italy's health system is overwhelmed:

- "We're close to the point of no return for intensive care beds in Lombardy. We have 15 to 20 intensive care beds left. With 85 new people entering ICU every day and 2 or 3 leaving, we're close to the point of no return. "There are no more ambulances" - Lombardy Welfare Councilor Gallera added - "and therefore someone will have to wait late in the evening." [source] 732 patients are currently treated in intensive care in Lombardy, and 76 new deaths were reported in the region today [source]

- In Bergamo, "deaths have quintupled from a week ago. There is a burial every half hour" said Councilor for Cemetery Services Giacomo Angeloni. "There are many elderly people at home with breathing difficulties. They are not hospitalized because the hospitals are full" said the mayor of Alzano Lombardo Carmelo Bertocchi [source]
I confirm Smilzo is right, that news is about Lombardy, the region with the vast majority of infections, the "Italian Hubei".
They're currently transferring people to hospitals in other regions which still have free ICU beds (even a couple here in Sicily, 1600 km away).
There are about 4000 ICU beds in the whole country but that number should be almost doubled soon thanks to the donation from China and new temporary hospitals being built.

But at this rate a collapse of the entire health system isn't too far away sadly, especially if an outbreak in the southern regions (where the health system is a lot worse than Lombardy) starts in the next few days as expected.

A person I know posted this on FB. They think it is happening but that it's a gov't conspiracy for control of the public.

View attachment 65042

Conspiracy theories are becoming a major problem in our culture (along with a general shift to "meme based belief systems" for large swaths of population)

I've found that most people I know who believe in conspiracies have minimal control in their own lives, so they wish to believe it's because of some secretive master plan by evil henchmen and tricksters - "the man" or "the deep state". I sometimes will engage and spend time to systematically debunk points, but its exhausting, as conspiracy believers usually have no interest in actually debating facts or evaluating logic... they usually have no "skin in the game".. they haven't actually researched anything.. they just re-post other peoples BS or offer up vague rhetoric.... and then my favorite is when they end their post with something like "wake up sheeple!"

I have a friend, who a week ago was posting social media messages about how "Covid-19 is NOT real and its only engineered by mainstream media to hurt Trump"... yesterday, he jumped ship to the above conspiracy: "Covid-19 IS real, but it was engineered by some shadowy global deep state bio-weapons labs to take away our freedoms" He didn't even blink an eye with the 180 degree shift on whether Covid-19 is real.

Conspiracy theories are becoming a major problem in our culture (along with a general shift to "meme based belief systems" for large swaths of population)

I've found that most people I know who believe in conspiracies have minimal control in their own lives, so they wish to believe it's because of some secretive master plan by evil henchmen and tricksters - "the man" or "the deep state". I sometimes will engage and spend time to systematically debunk points, but its exhausting, as conspiracy believers usually have no interest in actually debating facts or evaluating logic... they usually have no "skin in the game".. they haven't actually researched anything.. they just re-post other peoples BS or offer up vague rhetoric.... and then my favorite is when they end their post with something like "wake up sheeple!"

I have a friend, who a week ago was posting social media messages about how "Covid-19 is NOT real and its only engineered by mainstream media to hurt Trump"... yesterday, he jumped ship to the above conspiracy: "Covid-19 IS real, but it was engineered by some shadowy global deep state bio-weapons labs to take away our freedoms" He didn't even blink an eye with the 180 degree shift on whether Covid-19 is real.
Something is always someone else’s problem right?

Foolish because their healthcare systems will get overloaded and many more will die due to inability to receive treatment.

I don’t know about the UK but that’s not what they’re doing in Germany. I was Skyping with my mother over there this morning and they’re closing schools and Universities and my parents in law and my wife’s relatives are in a 5 week home isolation.

On a side note, I came across these pics on facebook today. Most of these places usually host thousands of people a day and seeing them completely empty is pretty fascinating and scary at the same time

One person having faith in something that the next person finds ridiculous is as old as dirt.
On the evolution timeline I think it started somewhere between fire and the wheel.

I am German. I live in the South West, the smallest federal state of Germany, the Saarland. It is one of the least affected areas, yesterday "only" 40 confirmed cases.

Schools, kindergartens, sports events, body gyms, pools, clubs, everything is closed for the next 5 weeks minimum. Visiting times to hospitals have been limited, visits to senior homes partly even forbidden. The government is definitely trying to slow it down as much as possible to not get the health system overloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom