Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who has looked at a map in the past couple of weeks has probably wondered about a correlation between spread and latitude. Here's an interesting study that examines that correlation:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...mes-pandemic-scientists-ask-if-lines-map-hold

2031a664-6462-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_972x_214133.jpg
I saw a map in the last couple days that showed almost nothing in Africa. I was wondering about that. Just found this at CDC:

C7488221-A7C9-49DD-B866-92B4504226EA.png
Note that this isn't density, just countries where cases have been reported.

Meanwhile, Whole Foods is asking employees to donate their sick time to employees that need it. I guess Bezos isn't letting go of a dollar he doesn't have to.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/gr...pay-colleagues-sick-leave-during-coronavirus/

Yes, I very much going to judge corporations (and whether they will get my dollars) by their reaction to this. Amazon is at the top of the list...and I do love my Prime membership...but I will jettison it if they hold this 'we can CASH IN on this crisis' mentality.

Yes, I very much going to judge corporations (and whether they will get my dollars) by their reaction to this.

Kijiji, which is a market buy/sell platform in Canada, similar to Craigslist, and owned by eBay, put out a statement saying they are pulling all ads. selling items like toilet paper, wipes, paper towels, masks, etc.

“Important information about listings associated with COVID-19
We have been monitoring the community response to the outbreak of COVID-19 in Canada. Based on user feedback, and to curb pricing practices that run counter to the community-minded spirit of Kijiji, we will temporarily ban listings for health care masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks, hand sanitizer/gel, disinfecting wipes and toilet paper.

We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, or 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description.

We encourage users to continue to flag any ads they deem incorrect, misleading or deceptive to our Help Desk team.”

Amazon.ca shutdown the account of the idiots in Vancouver buying up all the Lysol wipes and selling them on Amazon at an inflated price.

Kudos to both those companies!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Whole Foods is asking employees to donate their sick time to employees that need it. I guess Bezos isn't letting go of a dollar he doesn't have to.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/gr...pay-colleagues-sick-leave-during-coronavirus/
Not sure if it was there when you posted the story but it has this update at the top now:

This is a longstanding Whole Foods Market program from prior to the acquisition. Amazon is matching all funds to the Whole Foods Fund since the acquisition to support the team needs during this unprecedented event, and all Whole Foods team members have access to the 2-weeks paid time off related to coronavirus that was announced for all Amazon employees.

We're officially under a two week quarantine. Linda's babysitting until about 1 and then I'll hose
her down before letting her back in the house. After that, except for walking the dogs, we're
under house arrest.

Just went to pick up a few last things and the store had a manager outside the entrance keeping
track of how many were going in/coming out. The line was about a dozen people deep when I left.
Where we live is not highly populated (by San Diego standards) so it's kind of a smaller market.

Saw some pretty ridiculous hording. One lady had to have 40-50 cans of soup. Her cart was full just with just that!

Saw that whole foods update. As much as some try to make him out to be a bad guy, as far as the uber rich go,
Bezos is alright.

Last edited:
I would think the greatest risk from catching Covid will be at the grocery store. They tell you to avoid crowds... the grocery store is the most crowded place most people will encounter. People are touching multiple objects. All this is interaction at the most susceptible times

The toilet paper isle at my local Walmart:

View attachment 65001
I have a lot of pairs of old socks I’m planning to use

I’ll use them, turn inside out and use again, wash them and then use them all over again (joking).

I don’t get it...
You can’t eat toilet paper. And if you can’t eat, you don’t need toilet paper. It’s the end of “ brick in the wall”, bathroom style.

Found this which sounds like rock solid advice:

Studies show lot's of people get sick while sleeping because of aspiration when swallowing. Coronavirus has to get past your voicebox before it can infect your lungs. Unlike the regular flu which can infect your nose and throat, COVID-19 is after your lungs.
Every night before bed: "Remove any coronavirus already around your nose and throat: Wash your hands and face well with soap and warm water, including -- on a finger -- a quarter-inch into each nostril. Then gently blow your nose. DON'T use those irrigating devices, like neti pots, that might force virus further inside! Brush your teeth and tongue, swish and spit, and gargle once or twice with an antiseptic mouthwash.
The key is to minimize the coronavirus burden around and inside your face before you go to sleep."

Got it! ✔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom