Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus toll per month is about 1,550 death worldwide so multiply that by 12 and sum a 50% extra and still it does not come near seasonal flu numbers, yet.
The infection rate is exponentially increasing ! The day the first person died, it was 1 death per day. That does not equate to 30 deaths per month or 365 deaths annually.

Back on topic...I started Folding@Home on my desktop like an hour ago and might also run it on my laptop while I'm sleeping. I know they said that a vaccine is like a year away or something but I wonder if that figure includes our contributions or if we're working towards something else entirely. Anyone have any insights?

i just like seeing my number go up!
Me, too! I have it running on a home desktop and my music laptop, which I only use when I am working on music stuff, so 95% of the time, it will be processing this folding algorithm - 24/7!

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000 deaths a year.
The big question is how many people will die from covid-19 this year?

The big question is: regardless of the statistical comparisons between flu and COVID-19, how long will it take until the hospitals are collapsed and people with other necessities, from a child-birth to chemotherapy, surgery or road accidents, suffers or dies because they cannot be attended?

Do all the regions have the capacity to build emergency hospitals as fast as they did in Wuhan?

It is not about the statistics at the end of the year, it is about the medical capacity to respond to a peak of cases

Last edited:
The big question is: regardless of the statistical comparisons between flu and COVID-19, how long will it take until the hospitals are collapsed and people with other neccesities, from a child-birth to chemotherapy, surgery or road accidents, suffers or dies because they cannot be attended?

Do all the regions have the capacity to build emergency hospitals as fast as they did in Wuhan?

It is not about the statistics at the end of the year, it is about the medical capacity to respond to a peak of cases
now, in some places.

The infection rate is exponentially increasing !

Yes, and the tested confirmed rates are exponential.

Just grabbed this graph (logarithmic scale) from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/:
CV-US.png

Rate of growth of confirmed cases is a factor of 10 per 8 days.
Assuming the same rate, extrapolation from current data yields 1 million confirmed by early April (done in MS Paint!).

CV-US-Projection.png

Now if we have enough mitigation (e.g. social distancing) and rolled out testing, we could flatten out well before hitting a 10k or 100k like in S. Korea:

CV-SKorea.JPG

Last edited:
Italian morale-rising response to COVID-19

c1_1878730_200314132633.jpg

A man plays guitar as part of a flash mob organised to raise morale during Italy's virus crisis in Turin on Friday. (Reuters photo)

1206996792.jpg.0.jpg

Two men jam out on the guitar and flute on a balcony in the San Salvario neighborhood of Turin, Italy, on March 13, 2020. Nicolò Campo/LightRocket via Getty Images

b13a0fc7fe0d847be278cbfbc4b842a440aa8a48

A man in Milan plays guitar on the balcony of his home as part of a flash "non-mob" launched throughout Italy to help people cope with being in lockdown.Credit:AP

In the meantime it seems the contagion is slowing down here, the doubling time of the number of deaths went from 2.4 days to 3.4 days in the last few days.
Obviously it's too early to say it's true and we have to wait a few more days to be sure it's not just a fluctuation.

I think there are some defense measures we can take at home. One of the main threats of the virus seems to be the inflammation from the cytokine storm. The best anti inflammatory I’ve used personally is CBD, with magnesium being second best. I live in an area where CBD is legal, and am keeping gummies on hand. I have some that fixed a stubborn shoulder injury with only two doses in the past, where NSAIDs weren’t helping. Also would use magnesium chloride both transdermally as a spray on the skin and ingested. I’m not a doctor, but given that inflammation is at the root of the airway becoming blocked, I think these would at a minimum help in fighting that.

For prevention, vitamins A, D, C, iodine, and magnesium (citrate or glycinate) are my main dailies now. If possible, get lots of sun exposure for the vitamin D benefit. I’d increase the amount of vitamins A/D/C if I felt sick and would introduce the CBD and magnesium chloride as well for the inflammation.

Your point is that we have over a centuries worth of data on flu and that the first serious outbreak of coronavirus is just making it's way around the world so there is absolutely no meaningful comparisons to be made.

Coronaviruses were discovered in the 60s. So while we do have some data on Coronaviruses in general that can apply, this new strain
Covid-19 is where there's no benchmarks yet and why the scientists and doctors are scrambling.

Trying to apply any historical influenza numbers to what is currently happening is a bit of a fools errand and pretty pointless.
AND extremely dangerous if done by anyone with a fancy soapbox.

In the meantime it seems the contagion is slowing down here, the doubling time of the number of deaths went from 2.4 days to 3.4 days in the last few days.
Obviously it's too early to say it's true and we have to wait a few more days to be sure it's not just a fluctuation.
Hopefully (fingers crossed) this is the start of recovery for you. Please keep us nom-Italian speakers posted about how things are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom