Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key to their success so far has been the decision to respond aggressively from the outset.
In Taiwan, an island of 23 million, arrivals from Wuhan were subject to health screenings before human-to-human transmission of the virus was confirmed on Jan. 20.
By Feb. 1, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore had all proactively implemented travel restrictions on passengers coming from the mainland, contravening the World Health Organization’s [WHO] insistence that travel bans were not necessary. The precautions came at a significant economic cost to these international hubs, which all rely on mainland China as their biggest trading partner and source of tourists.

It's hard to say because the president made an announcement to the nation about how the costs of testing and treatment would be borne. However, his aides promptly sent out followup announcements that the president's announcement was wrong.
Lol really. Oh dear.

Since the outbreak started a few weeks back everyone (in the uk) has been watching everyday as they release the numbers of tests they’ve completed.
The government were going to stop that daily drip feed of information but they quickly changed their minds and continue to release the figures. I think it’s helpful, people want to know.
The government were a little worried people were paying too much attention, like watching a death clock or something. I guess many people would have said to themselves “when it gets to 1000 I’m going to start paniking”

It changed yesterday. They no longer test unless you’ve been admitted to hospital. So if your showing symptoms you may never know if it was the virus or....another regular seasonal virus.
If you have mild symptoms like a dry cough or a temperature your told to stay home for a week and visit the website.
If you start getting into trouble with breathing or take a turn for the worse you ring 111 (not 999 for an ambulance) and they will then see if you need hospital treatment And I guess that’s the point they test you.
There’s a clear move away from micro tracking figures and a complete focus on managing the inevitable.
I feel like we are as a public being prepared in a way that when tight measures come in to isolate large amounts of the population the population will play ball because that will be the action they want to happen, rather than having it imposed on us while there’s still people walking around saying “...it’s a flu”

How is the fight going? I hear someone came up with something. a start to discovery of a treatment.. Haven't heard much more though. Maybe they need more power.

How is the fight going? I hear someone came up with something. a start to discovery of a treatment.. Haven't heard much more though. Maybe they need more power.
They were starting human trials of a vaccine here and offering £3500 to be infected with the virus And told to go home for 2 weeks And not leave the house.

If this continues to spread at its current rate within a few days millions of people are going to be infected.
At some point municipal utilities (like pumping stations) can be impacted with manpower issues.
I predict the next step is mobilizing the military machine. I don't think any countries are thinking about invading
their neighbors right now so the resources can be reallocated for the immediate future.
All local National Guards should be getting the call too.

Let's just hope they have protecting caregivers down pat by now. Otherwise.......

My girlfriend knows someone that works at a local power plant. They're being sequestered at work for now.

people i know have told me through messaging that they've been denied tests, even after checking all the boxes for "high priority" testing. they said they still don't qualify.

my state is reporting 32 tests have been done total.
A close friend’s elderly parents rent out a room to a student who just recently came back from South Korea. They won’t test her and just told her to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.

part of the issue is that this has already become spread in the community, so we don't really need to test "to see if it's here". it's here.

but that doesn't help knowing the numbers and areas affected. so we still need testing, but we've moved on in stages and it's for info, not discovery.

Apparently the website that google is supposed to roll out is in very early stages, and may only be rolled out to Bay Area initially.
Following President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration in response to COVID-19,
@Google_Comms
said that Verily, a division of Google's parent company Alphabet, is in the "early stages of development" of a "tool to help triage individuals for Covid-19 testing" but that the triage website is not nationwide or live. When it becomes active, the site will only direct people to "pilot sites" in the San Francisco Bay Area with the "hope of expanding more broadly over time."

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000 deaths a year.
The big question is how many people will die from covid-19 this year?

part of the issue is that this has already become spread in the community, so we don't really need to test "to see if it's here". it's here.

but that doesn't help knowing the numbers and areas affected. so we still need testing, but we've moved on in stages and it's for info, not discovery.
Not just about knowing the numbers and affected areas, but getting tested seems to be the major factor in how South Korea is able to slow down the infections. People aren't going to practice quarantines seriously if they don't know for sure they have it.

My wife and I have talked about what to do if one of us gets sick. One theory is to separate from each other, since having one of us well is clearly better. Or pretty likely, by the time symptoms show it's already too late.

There's just the two of us here, our partially disabled daughter lives 45 minutes away with her partner, nobody older than me (67) in the house.

What do you think?

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000 deaths a year.
The big question is how many people will die from covid-19 this year?
Coronavirus toll per month is about 1,550 death worldwide so multiply that by 12 and sum a 50% extra and still it does not come near seasonal flu numbers, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom