Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the WHOLE post? Did you see the CDC data from 2018 concerning the regular flu? I'm guessing you didn't.

Dude. Coronavirus is not the flu. If it was, we’d have significant portions of the population that are immune to many strains and a vaccine would be available that lots of folks would have taken already. If you want to look at statistics for the flu that are a bit more applicable to what’s going on now, subtract 100 from the year you are referring to - those rates are far more relevant to this discussion.

Dude. Coronavirus is not the flu. If it was, we’d have significant portions of the population that are immune to many strains and a vaccine would be available that lots of folks would have taken already. If you want to look at statistics for the flu that are a bit more applicable to what’s going on now, subtract 100 from the year you are referring to - those rates are far more relevant to this discussion.

Really??? Subtract 100???

again, from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db355_tables-508.pdf#page=2
over 59,000 in 2018 alone... stop the hysteria and use some common safety protocol.

Wait.. the government is lying to us? nawww.. Hysteria hit here now, no TP anywhere. Stocked up a few days ago should be good for a few years.

I´ve read that new results show that the virus can survive on surfaces for about 2 to 3 days on glass, metal, plastic, paper and fabrics in temperatures of about 37C/98.6F. Also the 1 meter distance is now up to 4.5 meters of spread.

The only conspiracy theorist here are those not believing that this is a real threat.

Look again at this graph I posted

Even if the real number of infected people is 50 times higher as someone else said (I doubt it) it would still be the 1.25% of the population here in Italy and it already made more victims than the seasonal flu (with 6-7 millions estimated infections, 10-12% of the population).

Cliff's prediction seems pretty accurate to me, even stretching the data to the most optimistic scenario the fatality rate is at least 10 times higher than the flu.

How odd that my post disappeared. For the record I believe it is a serious threat, but I don't believe the resulting actions and reactions have been appropriately proportional and we will find years from now that more harm to the greater good of our society was done because of it. AND, there is no justifiable amount of lives that will be lost directly related to COVID19, but we must look at the overall loss to our society and suffering people are and will experience even if they personally don't get sick, die, or know someone who has.

Attachments

• y2.png
    y2.png
    439.3 KB · Views: 27
How odd that my post disappeared. For the record I believe it is a serious threat, but I don't believe the resulting actions and reactions have been appropriately proportional and we will find years from now that more harm to the greater good of our society was done because of it. AND, there is no justifiable amount of lives that will be lost directly related to COVID19, but we must look at the overall loss to our society and suffering people are and will experience even if they personally don't get sick, die, or know someone who has.
I deleted your post because it was a personal attack and personal attacks are not permitted on this forum. If you continue to attack people in this fashion you will receive a warning and then a ban.

Here I n the state capital of North Carolina, you can’t get tested even if you’re showing all the symptoms and just returned from South Korea.

Just talked with a good friend who's in her late 50s. She's been battling Lupus for 10 years now.
It nearly killed her before they originally diagnosed it.

Her doctor called her and started by saying he rarely calls a patient to cause them alarm, but that
she should be alarmed and immediately self quarantine. She asked if she could be tested and he told
her he wouldn't be able to get it authorized. We're in San Diego and she can't get it until she shows symptoms.
Which in her case is a little bit beyond stupid! Luckily her husband has learned to look out for her like a hawk.

Has anyone here had any family members or friends who have tested positive with Covid 19 and is currently quarantined?
What is their experience so far?

I deleted your post because it was a personal attack and personal attacks are not permitted on this forum. If you continue to attack people in this fashion you will receive a warning and then a ban.
Understood. I suppose we just have a different understanding of the subtleties and application of the modern english language used here in the general discourse of The Lounge.

People comparing this to the flu
That was my point... you're claiming 1918 correct?

Yes.

In theory, we should be able to thwart this much easier than the folks fighting the Spanish Flu. Medical, communications, and transportation technology should be working in our favor here so that it doesn't get that bad. But if we continue to treat this like the annual flu, we will see much more drastic losses.

I haven't dug in to see how work units correlate to credit and rank, but it's been fun to see people climb the hill. I didn't @spagthorpe's position was assailable, but @yeky83 must be running something on all the work computers because he's catching up! :D I like to think @bradlake tells his PC stories from his storied past and they work harder because they want to hear another tale.

I only run a single computer, no idea what you guys are running your folding on. My GPU makes the biggest contribution to the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom