Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of the hysteria around here, might I suggest this Joe Rogan interview with Michael Osterholm:

A good solid Interview with a real professional, who has spent his career fighting this battle. Lots of good intel!

#1439... huh, should have been #1349

Went to Trader Joe's tonight with my girlfriend. They were out of the frozen langoustines. That's a problem. On the bright side, we did manage to get two compact bottles of hand sanitizer - one for each of our moms.

I pass a Trader Joes on the way home. Had planned to stop for milk and some salad greens, but the parking lot looked crazy so I kept going.

I know you guys in the hurricane and snowstorm states deal with crap like this every year, but people on the West Coast are used to easy sailing, and seem to be loosing their minds. I still don't understand the toilet paper thing though.

I pass a Trader Joes on the way home. Had planned to stop for milk and some salad greens, but the parking lot looked crazy so I kept going.

I know you guys in the hurricane and snowstorm states deal with crap like this every year, but people on the West Coast are used to easy sailing, and seem to be loosing their minds. I still don't understand the toilet paper thing though.
Get a bidet. Gentle splash followed by a dab of quality 4 ply....feels like spring

The panic has started. In a couple weeks it's going to get really bad as the hospitals start to fill up and they run out of beds. Quarantines will become prevalent. The National Guard and other branches of the military will be called in to enforce isolation.

Americans have become exceptionally stupid so expect some rioting and looting in the inner cities.

There's a definite difference between "an abundance of caution" and outright paranoia ....

IMHO I think we've crossed that line ....

Netherlands:
  • registered infections: 614 804
  • current death toll: 5 10
Mind you: there isn't hardly any testing done anymore in the Netherlands, so the "registered infections" statistic does not mean anything.

My son has a serious flu since this morning and some of the symptoms, but he will not be tested (we tried) and the official policy is even that we and our older son can do everything we want as long as we don't have any of the symptoms, my son is even obliged to go to school (we kept him home)... go figure. You only get tested when you need to be hospitalized, so the 'registered infections' statistic is utter BS.

There's a definite difference between "an abundance of caution" and outright paranoia ....

IMHO I think we've crossed that line ....

Can you clarify what you mean? How does paranoia come into play?
NBA, NHL, NCAA, Broadway, Amusement Parks, Schools, election rallies, trade shows, major public events - all closed or cancelled.
Is that paranoia during a wold-wide pandemic?

Americans have become exceptionally stupid so expect some rioting and looting in the inner cities.

I'd lean toward exceptionally lazy but agree with your sentiment.
Although I not sure rioting and looting (takes crowds of people) will come into play this time.
Even MOST stupid people are afraid of dying.

Mind you: there isn't hardly any testing done anymore in the Netherlands, so the "registered infections" statistic does not mean anything.

My son has a serious flu since this morning and some of the symptoms, but he will not be tested (we tried) and the official policy is even that we and our older son can do everything we want as long as we don't have any of the symptoms, my son is even obliged to go to school (we kept him home)... go figure. You only get tested when you need to be hospitalized, so the 'registered infections' statistic is utter BS.

Agreed. The many, with mild reactions - here in the US, won’t even show up in any statistics. Looking at the reported/worse cases - those actually tested at that level of reaction, and trying to judge percentages in mortality rates seems horrendously inaccurate and alarmist.

Same is true with any statistics reported anywhere in the world. Unless everyone is tested, unless all people exposed are counted in the statistics, just catching the worse cases can’t provide any real or accurate picture.

The panic has started. In a couple weeks it's going to get really bad as the hospitals start to fill up and they run out of beds. Quarantines will become prevalent. The National Guard and other branches of the military will be called in to enforce isolation.

I've been saying for years that Americans are too stupid and arrogant to learn any other way but the hard way. Maybe this becomes a watershed moment for our country. Probably not though.

With just 2 cases currently confirmed we are currently out of clinical alcohol, Lysol, hand gels and masks. People went crazy at our local Pricemart like if it was the end of the world. I´m trying to keep my panic anxiety controlled for the sake of my family.

Schools have been closed nation wide for 3 weeks and almost all currently events have also been canceled.

Its pretty clear that we are not prepared at all for huge outbreaks, we only have about 50 respirators in all the public hospitals and the corrupt government is giving false hopes.

Probably not though.

It'll still be run by humans unfortunately.

:mad::mad::mad:
Well, at least we have these "beautiful" test kits coming. Or so I'm told........

Word has it that someone is fuming that "A foreign virus" isn't being whispered in the same breaths as:

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." - JFK

and

"Slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God." - RR

Last edited:
disrupting supply and food chains will cause more chaos than the virus, at least initially. my daughters boyfriend works at the largest hospital in Louisville ky and when he went to work last night armed military personal block entrance and said the hospital had become a designated corona virus center and people were being brought in from other areas that had the virus. they blocked him and wouldn't allow him to enter even though he works there. no access for no reason unless you had the virus? no matter how bad the virus is it will be at least months, if then, that things return to normal :eek:

disrupting supply and food chains will cause more chaos than the virus, at least initially. my daughters boyfriend works at the largest hospital in Louisville ky and when he went to work last night armed military personal block entrance and said the hospital had become a designated corona virus center and people were being brought in from other areas that had the virus. they blocked him and wouldn't allow him to enter even though he works there. no access for no reason unless you had the virus? no matter how bad the virus is it will be at least months, if then, that things return to normal :eek:
According to the John Hopkins site Kentucky only has 10 cases. I think we're being lied to and the number of cases is orders of magnitude higher than what's being reported.

A lot of other countries are relying on the data that China health officials have collected, seeing as right now
they have the most experience with it.
Something they noted is that in over 70% of the cases people have recovered without urgent care or hospitalization.

I think that for every 1 case reported in the US right now there's another 25? 50? more? people home sick with it and dealing
with it like the usual flu. Well, maybe it was like that last week and previous. Certainly not anymore.

I haven't dug in to see how work units correlate to credit and rank, but it's been fun to see people climb the hill. I didn't @spagthorpe's position was assailable, but @yeky83 must be running something on all the work computers because he's catching up! :D I like to think @bradlake tells his PC stories from his storied past and they work harder because they want to hear another tale.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 7.57.15 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom