Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current state of politics has me deeply cynical and jaded. I see everything through a "how did the people in the (house|senate|executive) vote on this and how did it benefit them personally?" lens now and I frigging hate that that is how I have to assess every decision politicians make.

"Follow the money" isn't a new thing. It's not the current state of politics, but goes back through most of human history I would bet. Power corrupts. Plain and simple. The few with altruistic will be mowed over by those with narcissistic leanings. See most any CEO or politician for examples.

Current state of politics has me deeply cynical and jaded. I see everything through a "how did the people in the (house|senate|executive) vote on this and how did it benefit them personally?" lens now and I frigging hate that that is how I have to assess every decision politicians make.
I also saw that the (senate/house/whichever) voted no to a bill that would help companies cover sick time costs. Of course. A place where money would actually be helpful to the country, but not to their personal bottom lines.

The WHO dropped the ball on this big time too if we're handing out blame fairly. COVID19 has met the criteria of pandemic status for over a month now and many articles suggested they dragged their feet because of the social/economic stigma the word pandemic could have. WELL, the market has been tanking for a couple weeks now and people started to get a little crazy on the streets. We're still about a month behind schedule where we need to be.
Let the virus run its course. Be a bit more mindful of hygiene when coughing/sneezing (like a polite person should always be), wash hands a bit more, clean areas of high public travel more often and just stay home if you feel under the weather. Hundreds of thousands of people will die from this novel strain of the coronavirus who would have otherwise been protected by the vaccines available against the regular flu strains. It's sad and unfortunate. BUT, those deaths are an extremely small % of the millions of other people who will be adversely affected in their day to day life because of an overreaction and extreme measures taken to prevent the spread of mother nature. Jobs will be lost.. Retirements lost and postponed.. All sorts of trickle down side-effects because we overreacted....

One upside to mindless panic, is that it quickly puts distance between the people who make-up the masses..

Of, course.. Thinking, instead of panicking, would also do that! ...But. Considering what people are subjecting themselves, and being subjected to, in regards to this thing? ...What-can-ya-expect?!

Logical steps to get through logical progressions.

One day at a time, people. :0)

One upside to mindless panic, is that it quickly puts distance between the people who make-up the masses..

Of, course.. Thinking, instead of panicking, would also do that! ...But. Considering what people are subjecting themselves, and being subjected to, in regards to this thing? ...What-can-ya-expect?!

Logical steps to get through logical progressions.

One day at a time, people. :0)

The optimist in me thinks we will learn a lot of valuable lessons from this and it will promote and invent new industries to advance health and general well-being. Then again, the realist in me knows the lessons we learn from this will just be a reinforcement of the fact that mankind/human nature is selfish, hedonistic, etc. when push comes to shove and your own wallet and happiness and level of tolerance to being inconvenienced are threatened.

I live in Norway. My employer has ordered home office for all now, and so has many others. All types of arrangements with more than 50 people are to be canceled. All schools, universities and kindergardens closed. So with my little kids at home, my wife and I have to alternate workdays/childcare days until this storm is over. Tough times, but nessecary. The economy is gonna take a blow for sure..

If this doesn’t reach max craziness, then I sincerely hope it is a wake up call / test for the world to get our shit together. TBH the Ebola problem from how ever many years ago that was; that should have been our “oh crap we’re not ready” moment.

Wait till something with a 25% death rate and 3 week incubation period gets loose. Bet your bush meat I’d take off for the wilderness for awhile.

What kind of supplies have you guys have stacked up?

Let me see....enough mountain house freeze dried food for 6 months, over 60 gallons of fresh water, over 100 bottles of booze (for bartering purposes if SHTF), steel tubes with lead fuel rods 😈, medical supplies, solar chargers, flashlights + batteries, lanterns, propane for cooking, water purification systems, baby wipes, oh...almost forgot TP just not a warehouse full....we used to live in CA so we planned for true outages in the event of an earthquake...you know, no water, electricity, food, etc...

These people today are F-ing rookies driven by fear and panic...oh, and I maximized my 401(k) to 20%... everything is on sale right now. I did the same thing back in 2007 when the financial lending thing hit the fan..also when Southern California Edison (EIX) stock hit the shitter back in 2001 at ≈$8/ share ... bought 1,500 shares and cashed in when it hit ≈$70..

the thing that has me perplexed is the value folks are just now seeing with the attention given to basic hygiene..

This really needs to happen in CA. Just close for a month, extend the school season into the summer. It feels like one of the easiest things that they can do to control the spread.

Well, not that easy. It requires a parent to stay at home, so it has an enormous impact on workforce. Among those parents are also people who work In daycare, nurses etc.

Well, not that easy. It requires a parent to stay at home, so it has an enormous impact on workforce. Among those parents are also people who work In daycare, nurses etc.
Yes, for me it's easy but i wonder how people with jobs requiring to be on site will do...

Agreed - everything is on sale. yeah - I've lost a ton of money in the last 2 weeks - but now is the time to beef up the ol 401k - my wife and I are now both maxed out with our contributions. We both still have 14 more years until retirement - so a long ride. And historically money is made in recessions. Once everything calms down, the market will come roaring back.

There are times in our history where it has taken 20 years or more to recover from market drops. All the “it’s on sale!” people seem to overlook that.

It's called a SinuPulse Elite.. ..the pump is based on dental waterpick technology. I'm on my second machine. last one worked - with both me and The Wife using it daily - for six years. It's worth the cash if you are needing something like this.

View attachment 64972

I have had sinus issues since I have been a kid.. Over the years they have led to multiple hospitalizations including a complete rebuild of my left inner-ear, and removal of part of my skull that had rotted away due to years-long inner-ear infections.

...Literally.. For me.. It's been ... :0) ...great! :0)

Good luck with it!. ...They tried everything with me, from grommets to steroids to exposure therapies, medicines never worked. I was quite-literally left deaf at one point due to my allergies. ..This is the only thing that has worked.

Again, Good Luck with it. :0)
Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom