Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catalonia government have just announced the closure of all educational centers starting tomorrow for 15 days at least...
Barcelona council has made a similar announcement about local facilities (libraries, kindergartens, centers for the elderly).

Catalonia government have just announced the closure of all educational centers starting tomorrow for 15 days at least...
Barcelona council has made a similar announcement about local facilities (libraries, kindergartens, centers for the elderly).
I was shocked to see yesterday night a stadium full of crowd in Liverpool with 3000 guys from Madrid. Some politicians still have no idea what such things might cause

I was shocked to see yesterday night a stadium full of crowd in Liverpool with 3000 guys from Madrid. Some politicians still have no idea what such things might cause

Every morning is going to bring a whole new reality for a while I think.
Those large crowds will stop within the next couple days. Pretty worldwide probably.

I wonder how many here in the US who went to sleep last night thinking "no big deal",
woke up to the Europe air travel/NBA/Hank's news all over the TV this AM,
and are now starting to freak out a bit?

I woke up with a slightly sore throat and am home from work. Owner of my company sent everyone an e-mail last Friday instructing us to not take a single chance, even if it seems silly. It definitely feels silly for such a minor issue, but in this context, I don't want to be the guy that infects a couple thousand people.

If the world was fair dinkum about getting this thing under control, every country would shut down every airport. It started in China and only got out of there because people did. As long as the airports are open the spread will continue. If each country was a virtual island, there would be a much better chance of containment and control but when new carriers are waltzing through the airport everyday, no wonder it's out of control. Imagine the spin off benefit to the climate if we shut down the airports :eek:

Thailand, despite being one of the main destinations of Chinese tourism, business and family-links, has not closed flights with China. However, they only have few cases

At the other extreme, Italy was one of the first countries to ban flights from China, and look how they are now. Was closing borders useful for them?

When the WHO does not recommend closing borders, they do it with a solid rationale

Why the number of cases in Thailand is so low? Perhaps because the citizens have not been waiting to receive orders from the government to start taking precautions. Most Thais have been wearing masks and being mindful of the basic hygiene precautions since this was announced on January. They have already lived SARS, MERS, H1N1... so they didn't say "don't worry, this is like a flu" while waiting for for the authorities to order them what to do.

Last edited:
Netherlands:
  • work at home if possible
  • cold or fever: must remain at home
  • don’t visit elderly people
  • don’t use train, bus etc. if vulnerable
  • all events with 100 or more attendants must be cancelled
  • registered infections: 614
  • current death toll: 5

I’m upping my 401k contribution percentage today. Even if I haven’t timed the bottom it’s a nice place to start. End of last year, fearing a market correction, I moved about 85% to low risk investments so I’m very happy about that (although I wasn’t thinking about a pandemic style correction). Time to jump in on this fire sale.

I’m upping my 401k contribution percentage today. Even if I haven’t timed the bottom it’s a nice place to start. End of last year, fearing a market correction, I moved about 85% to low risk investments so I’m very happy about that (although I wasn’t thinking about a pandemic style correction). Time to jump in on this fire sale.
it's not done yet. the travel ban announcement didn't help and we still have Friday to get thru before [maybe] some common sense hits the markets!
With classes being cancelled, NBA games postponed, March Madness with no crowds, schools closing, spring break extended.... we have a ways to go before we hit "bottom"... IME

My wife and I now have enough supplies for a 21 day self-quarantine.
Have advised the kids to do the same.

Bought yahtzee, cribbage, farkle, and dominos to help pass the time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom