Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bay Area traffic this morning:

None of these highways are ever green at 9 am on a weekday. People reporting being able to get seats on BART all the way into the city. That's pretty incredible.

This coming week is where things will get "real". There are likely thousands or tens of thousands already infected in the US. I'm pretty sure two of my employees have it. A town near us has just closed their schools by order of the CDC.

Two months ago I was trying to tell anyone who would listen about how serious this is and no one even blinked an eye. I feel like the guy wearing a sandwich board shouting "the end is near" and everyone is just walking by paying no attention.

Hyper-virulent and extremely deadly. It's time for the US to wake the f*&^ up and start taking this seriously.

I work in a primarly open floor plan office in a multi-tower highrise with 6-8 thousand other people . We closed our doors and told all employees to work from home for the next two weeks. Decisions like these are not made lightly and I am glad that they did it.

I agree with you though. I am nervous about seeing my parents. They are in their 80's and they catch everything that is going around.

@iaresee Yep. It was kinda errie going into the office to pick up some test machines. The roads were pretty clear.

None of these highways are ever green at 9 am on a weekday. People reporting being able to get seats on BART all the way into the city. That's pretty incredible.

glass-half-full_empty-meme.jpg

@iaresee Yep. It was kinda errie going into the office to pick up some test machines. The roads were pretty clear.
Sent my team home for the month starting last week but I'm kind of tempted to go into the office just to see what that kind of no traffic commute is like! :D I can't imagine 24 in the morning through Berkeley as anything other than bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Here in Italy today it is close to 5% and I doubt there are many untested positives given the current psychosis.

In Belgium, most of the actual cases are people coming back from holidays in Italy.
If the disease spreads slowly enough, there could be infected Belgian going on holidays in Italy (or elsewhere) for the next holidays in one month....

I could have been infected at work, and even if I’m mildly sick, I would not not be tested and free to go everywhere....

Sent my team home for the month starting last week but I'm kind of tempted to go into the office just to see what that kind of no traffic commute is like! :D I can't imagine 24 in the morning through Berkeley as anything other than bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Boston T inbound and outbound today were pretty empty. Not deserted, but way light. Foot traffic downtown too.

Technologically I can work at home, but we haven't been told we actually can.

I'm lucky that I could; I'm a programmer. But we're a human services agency, the real work gets done in person, so the folks on the front lines just have to show up to do any good. They've put up warning signs and sanitizer dispensers everywhere, and are considering day by day whether to go further, but so far it's "steady" as she goes.

There's one "presumptively confirmed" case in Arlington where I live. A parent with school age kids who was at that BioGen conference. That school is closed, at least today.

There's one "presumptively confirmed" case in Arlington where I live. A parent with school age kids who was at that BioGen conference. That school is closed, at least today.
WFH seems like a symbolic gesture as long as my kids are in school. They're always the most likely vectors for viruses.

In Belgium, most of the actual cases are people coming back from holidays in Italy.
If the disease spreads slowly enough, there could be infected Belgian going on holidays in Italy (or elsewhere) for the next holidays in one month....

I could have been infected at work, and even if I’m mildly sick, I would not not be tested and free to go everywhere....
Yeah but the situation seems quite different here right now, pretty much everyone who has a common cold calls the authority to be tested for the fear of being infected.
Consider that almost 30000 tests have been made till now and "only" ~9200 are positives.

Btw, half an hour ago the government finally decided to extend the "red zone" to the whole country, I hope this works to stop the contagion.

PS: whatever the real mortality rate is, it is valid only until every person infected has the opportunity to be properly assisted in a hospital. If most can't be assisted that rate might be much higher, that's why it is important to at least slow down the contagion.
There are only 4000 ICU beds across the whole country and we're more than 60 millions..

Last edited:
Yeah but the situation seems quite different here right now, pretty much everyone who has a common cold calls the authority to be tested for the fear of being infected.
Consider that almost 30000 tests have been made till now and "only" ~9200 are positives.

Btw, half an hour ago the government finally decided to extend the "red zone" to the whole country, I hope this works to stop the contagion.

PS: whatever the real mortality rate is, it is valid only until every person infected have the opportunity to be properly assisted in hospital. If most can't be assisted that rate might be much higher, that's why it is important to at least slow down the contagion.
There are only 4000 ICU beds across the whole country and we're more than 60 millions..

I totally agree. My point is that the loose management of the crisis here in Belgium can lead to ruin the efforts of neighbor countries.

Empty roads in the Bay Area during rush hour is a sight I haven’t seen in a long time.

WFH seems like a symbolic gesture as long as my kids are in school. They're always the most likely vectors for viruses.
I've pulled my son out of school until this is over. Schools are literally virus incubators. Kids touch everything then put their fingers in their mouths then touch more stuff. Also pulled him out of Scouts and all the other extracurricular activities.

This coming week is where things will get "real". There are likely thousands or tens of thousands already infected in the US. I'm pretty sure two of my employees have it. A town near us has just closed their schools by order of the CDC.

Two months ago I was trying to tell anyone who would listen about how serious this is and no one even blinked an eye. I feel like the guy wearing a sandwich board shouting "the end is near" and everyone is just walking by paying no attention.

Hyper-virulent and extremely deadly. It's time for the US to wake the f*&^ up and start taking this seriously.

I'm wondering how long it has actually been in the US. I read yesterday that it's believed since January.
I got a flu shot, my wife and kids got flu shots....yet we all got the some type of flu in January that knocked us on our asses.
Was it COVID19??? Who knows since there are NO TEST KITS. We are amazingly unprepared for this.

I've pulled my son out of school until this is over. Schools are literally virus incubators. Kids touch everything then put their fingers in their mouths then touch more stuff. Also pulled him out of Scouts and all the other extracurricular activities.
I wish we could do that. We burned through all the unexcused absence time for the kids in December when we had our medical emergency. So everyone's out of random absence days and the school won't accept, "Children are fantastically unhygienic disease carriers" as an excusable absence reason. :( Extra curricular activities have been curbed for now. No parties. But as long as school is mandatory we're screwed. Not if, but when I figure...

Cliff is going to be the last Fractal standing in this pandemic. As usual, he's way ahead of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom