Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US botched test kit roll out, the white house last week overruled health experts who wanted to recommend social distancing measures, and the federal government has announced they will no longer report COVID19 testing statistics. You would literally be better off living in any other country in the world right now. Cliff's post with the 3 videos that compare the responses of China, Korea, and the US perfectly summarize the situation.

So are we saying that world leaders should not be playing golf during a world health crisis ??

Here is Coronavirus infection rate outside China.

The green line here is an exampe of the mathmatical definition of "exponential grown."

The Coronavirus infection rate is basically the definition of "exponential growth."

As you can see the site is covering the whole world.

Source? What does this mean? Is CDC going to stop reporting testing statistics??

It was in the news everywhere last week. For example: https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/2...esting-numbers-website-disappear-expansion-us

Since then they have indicated they might report the numbers for tests, but only the tests they perform. Unfortunately, because their testing so far resembles a 3 stooges movie, many other institutions have stepped in to perform tests. This means the CDC test numbers will be incomplete.

Italy is doing great efforts to contain the virus but it’s useless...Belgium makes nothing...Belgian will spread the virus back to Italy (sigh)...
Mild cases and asymptomatic carriers aren’t tested anymore In Belgium.
I don’t see how we can stop the spreading in those conditions...

Hyper-virulent and extremely deadly. It's time for the US to wake the f*&^ up and start taking this seriously.
Epidemiological data are still not "stat validated". That means that all denominator of those rates is "number of people health system treated with". That is not the way higher number of the infected: thus higher rates, hence biased rate. The real problem is the load on the health system: being virulent, lot of people need assistance. With decades of cost cutting, there is over 30% cut in hospital assistance. The assistance service are optimize for the least cost in normal circumstances. It's the same problem China has faced: they build temporary hospital.

What reassures me is:
1) Washing hands is vital
2) staying away from people is vital (3 ft)

I can control about 90% of that^

as said it’s about delay.... till what? A vaccine

is anyone else in a red zone/quarantine area???

What reassures me is:
1) Washing hands is vital
2) staying away from people is vital (3 ft)

I can control about 90% of that^

as said it’s about delay.... till what? A vaccine

is anyone else in a red zone/quarantine area???

It sounds maybe stupid but the first two points are really important.

And the delay is not for a vaccine. Just to take pressure of the health systems. They just can't handle too many critical cases.

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus (in the USA), with 22 deaths. Think about that!

We are used to the flu and people dying from it. Becasue so few are tested for the coronavirus, the death rate seems very high. In hindsight we will probably learn the death rate was closer to 1%, but for now to keep the news cycle going, we will assume the worst.

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus (in the USA), with 22 deaths. Think about that!

COVID-19 has similar symptoms and spreads in a similar manner to the flu, so could it be just another flu? The answer is: COVID19 is far more serious than seasonal flu.

First, the only reason seasonal flu doesn’t kill millions of people, instead of thousands, every year is because many people have immunity from previous years and from vaccines. This herd immunity serves as a brake to limit the seasonal flu outbreak every year. There is no such immunity in the population for COVID19 to prevent it from spreading widely.

Second, it has a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu. You can debate the exact number, but it is clearly a deadly virus.

Between these two factors, COVID19 is a far more serious threat to all of us than seasonal flu. Some people have made it clear they don't care about people dying around them, but the sickness alone will debilitate the economy and paralyze the health care system.

My apologies for posting that reply above to you by repeating something that I've posted several times already in this thread. It's just getting to be appalling that so many people are spreading the nonsense about "COVID-19 is just like the flu". I understand the desire to wish this problem didn't exist. But wishing and hoping won't fix this. Hard work and sacrifice will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom