Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its quite serious, my post earlier was about the terror my neighborhood is in from one schmuck not caring about others. I’m freaking out actually. And that was a weak joke about commie gas

It's interesting. I've got lots of friends on Facebook from other countries. The only people I see not taking this seriously are Americans - some are using it as humor fodder. Even worse, I see assholes wishing for others to get it. I don't know why this surprises me anymore.

Well if you saw the President’s press conference friday, it’s easy to see where that’s coming from. Saying in public that it’s more important to make the numbers favorable than it is to stem the spread leads to people minimizing the problem. Cliff’s Frank Drebin allusion is sadly correct.

Somebody needs to step up and shake the US to get the proper attention to this problem.

It’s strange to me how this admin put a hit out on vaping when at the time less than 10 people died from using THC cartridges (not what regular vaping uses) when vaping existed for 10+ years. They pressured states to close shops and take vaping away from those who needed it to stop smoking. Yet an epidemic with clear growing fatalities and cases is not a problem at all.

I would stay away from any political comments here about present or past administrations at this point. I can see that getting out of control.

Let's please stick to the worldwide impact and related topics.

Looks like another wild ride tommorrow. Futures are down 1,000 pts with crude futures down to $30 a barrel thanks to Saudis cutting prices and the Russians deciding to go it alone.

This coming week is where things will get "real". There are likely thousands or tens of thousands already infected in the US. I'm pretty sure two of my employees have it. A town near us has just closed their schools by order of the CDC.

Two months ago I was trying to tell anyone who would listen about how serious this is and no one even blinked an eye. I feel like the guy wearing a sandwich board shouting "the end is near" and everyone is just walking by paying no attention.

Hyper-virulent and extremely deadly. It's time for the US to wake the f*&^ up and start taking this seriously.

...A person is smart. People can be a bunch of f’kin idiots. My concern is, as-much, panic. And creating and contributing to panic is only going to make things worse.

Anybody looking at the numbers can see how serious this is. Not just the cause, the effects, societal, economic, etc. But, we really need more information, and real plans put in place as that information emerges. We also need to be careful here and tackle this thing rationally. We have as-much responsibility to do our individual level best to avoid provoking panic.

We know what this thing could be. It would be better maybe to more work towards what needs to be done, not add to the general misery of it.

...one foot in-front of the other. One way or the other, we’re getting through this. And yes, Maybe things will change because of this. My guess is that we’ll survive that, too.

As to action, as I previously threw out there, there is just way too much invested in the status quo; and too much glory to be had in solving this problem. Those pulling the strings, ultimately, will do everything in their power to make sure that this is solved tout de suite while doing their level best to make sure that things don’t change too much - if only for purely selfish reasons.

...gotta take it a little easy here, folks. Prepare. Yes. But, I figure, maybe take this one day at a time. And let’s roll with what we know, and not what we can imagine this being.

This coming week is where things will get "real". There are likely thousands or tens of thousands already infected in the US. I'm pretty sure two of my employees have it. A town near us has just closed their schools by order of the CDC.

Two months ago I was trying to tell anyone who would listen about how serious this is and no one even blinked an eye. I feel like the guy wearing a sandwich board shouting "the end is near" and everyone is just walking by paying no attention.

Hyper-virulent and extremely deadly. It's time for the US to wake the f*&^ up and start taking this seriously.

While I don't buy into the whole apocalyptic feel of this...much of it is true. Sports venues are starting to cancel fans attendance across the globe, states are declaring states of emergency, and even my workplace is offering optional 'work from home if you can' plans.

While I think this will have a severe economic impact, I still am not convinced that this will be a pandemic that will destroy the fabric of society.

IMO.

Should we make a bet? When the number of total reported deaths in the US stays under a certain number I'll get a FM-3? :grinning:
you're betting on people dying?

even if the number stays under a certain level, people are still getting sick, people are still dying. why is everyone so focused on the death rate? it doesn't matter the percentage. lives are being lost right now.

How do you not feel like a complete piece of shit after writing this?

Yes, that was in bad taste. As well as this hyping, conspiracy theories and public spreading of panic, which actually kills people.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Stay away from sick looking people. Stay at home when you are sick. Sneeze/cough not into your hands, use tissues, or sneeze/cough into your elbow. Don't spread misinformation. Don't panic.
If you really care about people not dying, do that.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here?

That's a good question, and I think a lot of people are wondering the same thing. It has similar symptoms and spreads in a similar manner to the flu, so could it be just another flu? The answer is: COVID19 is far more serious than seasonal flu.

First, the only reason seasonal flu doesn’t kill millions of people, instead of thousands, every year is because many people have immunity from previous years and from vaccines. This herd immunity serves as a brake to limit the seasonal flu outbreak every year. There is no such immunity in the population for COVID19 to prevent it from spreading widely.

Second, it has a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu. You can debate the exact number, but it is clearly a deadly virus.

Between these two factors, COVID19 is a far more serious threat to all of us than seasonal flu. Some people have made it clear they don't care about people dying around them, but the sickness alone will debilitate the economy and paralyze the health care system.

Meanwhile I will look at the aforementioned curves from China (no new deaths and only 1 new case in the past couple of days), and extrapolate them to the US taking into account much better preparedness

The US botched test kit roll out, the white house last week overruled health experts who wanted to recommend social distancing measures, and the federal government has announced they will no longer report COVID19 testing statistics. You would literally be better off living in any other country in the world right now. Cliff's post with the 3 videos that compare the responses of China, Korea, and the US perfectly summarize the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom