Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the very young. Below about the age of 6 especially (and past puberty in general) human children’s immune system is still very much a work in progress, which is the reason why kids all of a sudden develop allergies, leukemias, and other immunological and hematology always disorders.

Bro I went to school for this. This is my field. I actually know what I’m talking about. The only errors in anything I’ve said are of omission since I judge the complexity of what I’m going to write by the knowledge base of the audience. That’s why I’m not going to get into recombinant genes in immune cell proliferation and the thousands of other details required for a true in-depth discourse on the subject.

I dont disagree with you in general. But this corona virus does not seem to affect young children that much, as the data indicates. That could change with new data, but thus far the only critical cases are older people and those with other issues.

Last edited:
Social distancing is out the window if you commute on public transit, which is a fact of life for businesses in downtown Boston unless everyone works at home.

And you've put your finger on the hard truth here. Getting out of this mess will involve a lot of sacrifice for a lot of people. Sacrifices that are painful. Sacrifices that the individual must make in the name of the common good. Sacrifices that you might consider "out the window".

We can beat this. But it's going to take aggressive social distancing now, some help with a fall in the transmission rate as spring arrives, and a vaccine by next winter.

Last edited:
That was such a great book.

Spoiler

The story the other morning about the cruise ship that wasn't being allowed to dock
reminded me of 'the plane' in the book. The one that started for a gate and then turned
around and just parked out in a field because someone on board was sick. By the end of
the book it had become a sort of crypt with all on-board dead for many years. Super spooky
aspect of the story.

Now is definitely not a good time to read The Road.

One of only three novels that made me cry. (the ending)
Not get choked up or shed a tear or two.
Full on cry.

The other two being Pet Semetary (my first child had just been born)
and On The Beach.

Full on cry.
I hate it. I regret ever reading it. Having it in my head is deeply unpleasant. I was shocked they made a movie out of it; it's imagery I'd never want to see acted out.

I hate it. I regret ever reading it. Having it in my head is deeply unpleasant. I was shocked they made a movie out of it; it's imagery I'd never want to see acted out.

If I ever meet a person who tells me they enjoyed reading The Road
I probably will shoot them dead on the spot for being the devil.

Full on cry.

The other two being Pet Semetary (my first child had just been born)
and On The Beach.

I dated a girl that really liked reading post-apoc fiction; it was really her favorite thing. She liked virtually all of it, but The Road messed her up.

I offer a different perspective. Look at the China graphs right now:

1583596857942.png
EDIT: source: https://covid19info.live/

China population is around 1.3 billion. They had 3k deaths in a month.
Doing some math: deaths/population = 3E3 / 1.3E9 = 2.3E-6 = 0.00023% chance of general population dying in a month after first case detected.

Hopefully, what we see is that new cases detection rate are minimal now in China (probably by containing measures). They will propably have a new wave of infections when they relief measures taken.

If we considered that the exponential period in China is over (as seen in the purple curve), and extrapolate the 1st monthly death statistic linearly (IMHO, a pessimistic view), we'll have that the chance of anyone dying in one year because of corona virus is 0.0027%.

World population is now 7.7B, so we could expect 200K deaths in one year.
I agree that the virus is bad, much worse than others from the recent past, and 200K victims are still very bad. But this is a much smaller number than those said earlier.

The good news is that the entire world is trying to find ways of treatment to get better odds. Let's hope they find something soon.

One of the issues with this is that no-one knows how many may have been infected and fought it off.
They are saying now the nursing home in Washington St. was not ground zero. It was here in the US
already and it took getting loose in a closed environment with lots of old and not healthy people to explode.

You asked "What if?" and I was trying to answer your question. If you only meant that question rhetorically and I took you too literally, my apologies :).
No need for apologies. I appreciate the discussion... I was just tossing out a thought ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom